NWC Clubs unanimously reject Primary RL format

Unlike other regional leagues the NWC Y & J League committees have never taken it upon themselves to make decisions on behalf of their member clubs without consultation and have as a result always been guided by the needs and wants of the members through a democratic process that has seen Junior RL flourish over the past 30-40 years within the region.

After several meetings over the last few months, much debate and the piloting of both formats, last night saw the member clubs once more unanimously choose the path they felt was most appropriate for the 7's-12's age groups with a 100% rejection of the proposed 5 v 5 Primary RL format, with no recorded abstentions and NO opposition.

Unlike other regional leagues the NWC Y & J League committees have never taken it upon themselves to make decisions on behalf of their member clubs without consultation and have as a result always been guided by the needs and wants of the members through a democratic process that has seen Junior RL flourish over the past 30-40 years within the region.

After several meetings over the last few months, much debate and the piloting of both formats, last night saw the member clubs once more unanimously choose the path they felt was most appropriate for the 7's-12's age groups with a 100% rejection of the proposed 5 v 5 Primary RL format, with no recorded abstentions and NO opposition.

Would be interested to see what Rules/Format the NW are looking at playing, the pilot was not liked by all in our region but were asked to trial.

Thought the promotional video clip I saw was hilarious, they were interviewing the local secretary who was praising the non contact side of the Pilot and how the kids loved it so much, in the background there was a mini match with players doing full tackle and appearing to love it, might of gone home in distress though, it could only happen in RL

I am a bit disappointed nobody has commented on this topic which I feel very important. A lot of money has been spent by the RFL on this and falling out with clubs and coaches. In my view the NWC have done this correctly and tried both over a period of months with various clubs, taken feedback, voiced concerns and adapted to what the feedback was, and come up with the game most wanted, similar to what we had by the way.

It was put to the NWC clubs to vote on and they unanimously voted to play the format on the link above. Apparently Yorkshire and Hull were asked to try (can I say try) and give feedback, I have seen the Primary minutes and it appears, the agenda was New 2015 Primary Rules Book then, Primary Pilot feedback, don't you think it should have been done the other way round, does this show the RFL had already made their minds up to what we were going to do, is it not a democratic game anymore, I have heard the RFL are not happy with the decision of the NWC clubs but I suppose the Operational Rules were agreed too.

In my view if people walk away at this age it shows they are active and want to participate, they wil find something else to do, will they ever come back to RL, In London the minutes said there were 13 active participants in the new format, very disappointing

Primary Rugby league is the new name for Mini and Mod .

Mini and Mod was and is an excellent development tool for both the player and coach well established at the first level entry of RL .

The performance department if the RFL employed Dave Morley of Leeds University to of do a so called balanced study of rugby league at this level .

Basically pulled the Mini and Mod game to pieces and suggested the way we develop our children was not fit for purpose .

Tried to blind people with science and came up with some remarkable stats to justify watering the game down to a 4v4 format with multiple games going on at the same time no contact no play the ball .

Pilots were run over the country with only the North West challenging the outcome of the initial study and subsequent pilots .

The NW produced a full feed back study based on the thoughts of players , coaches and parents .

The RFL have secured 1.8 million of Sky money which is being distributed to the professional clubs to run foundations to encourage them to get into schools and get more children playing RL and selling more tickets for the professional games .

The original study as changed several elements to try and stem the criticism from the community game , it's now changed to 5v5 PTB and tackle allowed but touch rugby is preferred by the primary league manager .

Confused yes so you should be no operational rules have been broken by anyone as all we have done is taken part in an agreed pilot fed back and waited for responses from our sister leagues across the country .

The very fact that people who are regular contributors to this forum don't know what PRL is speaks volumes .

We have been advised by our Community Board Reps to tell the clubs what to do and not give the clubs a choice ,we in the NW do not operate that way we are elected to represent the wishes of our member clubs .

I am proud of the hard work of our clubs which has seen massive growth in participation in the NW not matched by any other area in the country .

You can't find any recognition from any of the RFL sponsored websites of our achievements in increasing participation retaining players and giving our young players and coaches a safe fun environment to promote and develop the game not totally perfect nothing is as no one can control today's society .

We stand firm in what we believe is the best for our clubs and the continued development of the game and if that is wrong them think we are all in the wrong game .

Primary Rugby league is the new name for Mini and Mod .

Mini and Mod was and is an excellent development tool for both the player and coach well established at the first level entry of RL .

The performance department if the RFL employed Dave Morley of Leeds University to of do a so called balanced study of rugby league at this level .

Basically pulled the Mini and Mod game to pieces and suggested the way we develop our children was not fit for purpose .

Tried to blind people with science and came up with some remarkable stats to justify watering the game down to a 4v4 format with multiple games going on at the same time no contact no play the ball .

Pilots were run over the country with only the North West challenging the outcome of the initial study and subsequent pilots .

The NW produced a full feed back study based on the thoughts of players , coaches and parents .

The RFL have secured 1.8 million of Sky money which is being distributed to the professional clubs to run foundations to encourage them to get into schools and get more children playing RL and selling more tickets for the professional games .

The original study as changed several elements to try and stem the criticism from the community game , it's now changed to 5v5 PTB and tackle allowed but touch rugby is preferred by the primary league manager .

Confused yes so you should be no operational rules have been broken by anyone as all we have done is taken part in an agreed pilot fed back and waited for responses from our sister leagues across the country .

The very fact that people who are regular contributors to this forum don't know what PRL is speaks volumes .

We have been advised by our Community Board Reps to tell the clubs what to do and not give the clubs a choice ,we in the NW do not operate that way we are elected to represent the wishes of our member clubs .

I am proud of the hard work of our clubs which has seen massive growth in participation in the NW not matched by any other area in the country .

You can't find any recognition from any of the RFL sponsored websites of our achievements in increasing participation retaining players and giving our young players and coaches a safe fun environment to promote and develop the game not totally perfect nothing is as no one can control today's society .

We stand firm in what we believe is the best for our clubs and the continued development of the game and if that is wrong them think we are all in the wrong game .

Taxi a nice post, I realise no Operational Rules were broken but as you know the RFL wanted your league to take this format on, make them play it, no choice to the clubs as was said by the Yorkshire Secretary, did he not quote "we are the committee we make the decisions for the clubs, we don't need to ask them" someone who was at the primary meeting quoted this.

As I keep saying we do 95% of the Operational rules with no issue, don't forget it was introduced due to a sad death and coroners report, there is less than half a page out of 32 relating to following medical procedures, probably 30 pages of relevant topics that are being followed and possibly one page of wording that will allow the RFL to do what they want and when they want without the clubs having a say, what way is this to run a game.

I know what it is but I spent the best part of two years trying to run a senior team in the South East and when you're trying to get 17 blokes to turn up for a match, starting an under-7s section couldn't be further from your mind.  I know Southampton were trying to get a juniors league going in Hampshire based on a 10v10 format (I think) with a festival style.  How do games work right now?

EDIT: Defender1, the operational rules were supposedly needed for insurance purposes.  If that's the case, and strictly the case, then it was misappropriated and used as a landgrab so the RFL can dictate what they want to the clubs.  Problem is, they're probably least qualified.

They were based on the format on the link above playing 7-9 aside depending on the numbers.

The RFL pilot consisted of 4 x 4, smaller pitch, no tackle, no play the ball, no coach on the pitch these were the main points. Most coaches, players and parents preferred the old format.

There is a place for the format but I would say, training, Cubs, or even players low in confidence, the weaker players the RFL had done study's and said players were going home distressed, I am sure some did that is up to the parents to pull their children, some parents want their kids to play when they are not ready, that is not a game problem, thousands have played this format for years, including most of the England team is that not what it is all about. It is getting the balance right and spotting the less confident players even the new format the stronger more confident players stood out, that is life

You could say we have played Australia in the past using touch tactics but it nevers works

EDIT: Defender1, the operational rules were supposedly needed for insurance purposes.  If that's the case, and strictly the case, then it was misappropriated and used as a landgrab so the RFL can dictate what they want to the clubs.  Problem is, they're probably least qualified.

The Hull Open age were with David Gent during the week regarding the operational rules, he apparently said the reason for the O R was because the coroner said we should be playing under one set of rules, in my view the RFL saw it as an opportunity for them to take control of the whole game, as I think has been said before the RFL only see the community game as a cash cow, does the community game have a voice any more?

In normal circumstances the RFL should be running the whole game - I don't think there's any question that there should be a single NGB. However history has left rugby league in a position where the NGB is not trusted to run the game at grass roots. Very sad.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

In normal circumstances the RFL should be running the whole game - I don't think there's any question that there should be a single NGB. However history has left rugby league in a position where the NGB is not trusted to run the game at grass roots. Very sad.

I agree, the question is what can be done to change this? Unfortunately in my opinion signing the operational rules will make this worse and give the clubs and leagues even less voice. The Hull Open age league had a meeting with David Gent only this week, objections were made, concerns highlighted that even DG said could be interpreted that way and itemsneeded could bechanged, these are the rules that every one has signed except the Hull League

Should they be running the whole game?  The RFL has always focused on the professionals at the expense of the amateurs, which is why BARLA exists in the first place.   They need checks and balances so they don't throw everything away to preserve their loss-making professional league.  For instance, in Scottish football, there are seperate governing bodies for different levels of the game and their leaders sit directly on the SFA board.  While there are probably too many of these governing bodies (for instance, amateur football and welfare football are practically the same and should be under one body in my view), they provide a different perspective.  I honestly think they should have an amateur rugby league association that controls the game at an amateur level, leaving the professionals to the RFL.  They can't do amateur rugby, they've essentially been killing it for 20 years whilst hiding this fact through Sport England money.  It's not a case of historical distrust, it's a case of their historical actions.

Should they be running the whole game?  The RFL has always focused on the professionals at the expense of the amateurs, which is why BARLA exists in the first place.   They need checks and balances so they don't throw everything away to preserve their loss-making professional league.  For instance, in Scottish football, there are seperate governing bodies for different levels of the game and their leaders sit directly on the SFA board.  While there are probably too many of these governing bodies (for instance, amateur football and welfare football are practically the same and should be under one body in my view), they provide a different perspective.  I honestly think they should have an amateur rugby league association that controls the game at an amateur level, leaving the professionals to the RFL.  They can't do amateur rugby, they've essentially been killing it for 20 years whilst hiding this fact through Sport England money.  It's not a case of historical distrust, it's a case of their historical actions.

I think that is why BARLA was introduced in the first place 40 years ago to stop what is happening today, the amateur game thrived but as you say BBFAZ BARLA has lost its way and we are possible back where we were

I wouldn't use Scottish Football as a good supporting case for multiple NGBs. Most top level sports have a single controlling body - without it you will inevitably end up in conflict, plus you have issues surrounding external funding.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Bit of disappointment to this important topic

Over 1,150 views

20 posts from only 6 different people

No entry from any club out of the heartlands actually saying they are running 6-7 year old teams

Are these players not the future of our game??

Chargers run Primary RL - we tried to get other local clubs involved but they all seem to be focusing on their Open Age teams.

Thanks Tim2 but you are just on the border so don't count, sorry, the Eastern RL has launched its season and says concentrating on Under 15's so obviously only interested in Open Age

Primary Committee meeting with the RFL today (Tuesday) in Leeds lets see what comes of that

Thanks Tim2 but you are just on the border so don't count, sorry, the Eastern RL has launched its season and says concentrating on Under 15's so obviously only interested in Open Age

Primary Committee meeting with the RFL today (Tuesday) in Leeds lets see what comes of that

Not enough volunteers, no RL history, no RL in schools, one RFL staffer for whole region, geographic spread, appeasement of host RU clubs.  Just some of the reasons why its harder to do anything down this way. 

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Archived