Clues on Yorkshire Mens League set up 2015?

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a lot depends on who goes summer from the Pennine league. Halifax Irish, Brighouse Rangers and Illingworth are confirmed and based on the current divisions would all be premier division standard. There are rumours of mass migration though

I guess the clubs that double up with summer players (Fryston spring to mind) may struggle but of course the same applies the other way round to Bramley etc. Hopefully that will be a bit of a leveller.

I heard rumours of another premier division club looking at summer that I believe to be Queensbury and I would be surprised if Upton and Queens weren't thinking the same. West Bowling have always been die hard winter

It seems strange that everyone in the summer leagues seem to be suggesting they want a return to winter (we, the Lokos don't!) but everyone in winter is suggesting a move to summer! The phrase the grass in greener on the other side seems to fit the bill!

I was more thinking in regards league structure???

It seems strange that everyone in the summer leagues seem to be suggesting they want a return to winter (we, the Lokos don't!) but everyone in winter is suggesting a move to summer! The phrase the grass in greener on the other side seems to fit the bill!

I was more thinking in regards league structure???

The Pennine league seem to have badly run things this year and basically killed off the top 2 divisions

Hopefully there will be a few more teams to give us a bit longer season, and also I hope some of the 'established' clubs can fulfil their fixtures against us this year.

On a side note we are looking at running a second team in the Merit league this year too, as we have a lot of interest.

Who said Sharlston cant get in, if the NCL wanted them in they would find away. When our club were accepted you needed to have an enclosed ground with a clubhouse at the side of the pitch, which I don't think any of the Pennine clubs joining this year have. Standards seem to be more relaxed now.

Who said Sharlston cant get in, if the NCL wanted them in they would find away. When our club were accepted you needed to have an enclosed ground with a clubhouse at the side of the pitch, which I don't think any of the Pennine clubs joining this year have. Standards seem to be more relaxed now.

Criteria are relaxed but not scrapped. Think juniors is still non negotiable. Are there any local clubs Sharlston can link up with that are mainly junior?

• 3 weeks later...

Queens sounds a likely contender as summer was their original plan when it was first announced til they realised the standard wasn't what they needed at the time.

I expect a chain reaction, though I think clubs around the Leeds and Halifax areas plus teams at the top or bottom (rather than middle) of the playing standard are more likely to switch.

We as a club are not too fussed about it been regionalised, which to be fair you're never really travelling more than an hour anywhere.

The only thing we want is a good number of games and not to have any of them called off, we had 3-4 knocked on the head last year, and these were all done by 'traditional' clubs.

The future is summer rugby in my opinion, as juniors now play in summer and when they come to play open age they will not want to play in the freezing cold in a mud bath, so in 5-10 years I'm guessing winter might be non existent, although the season might have a break at the height of summer perhaps?  

Hopefully a lot more clubs will see the way it is heading and move over to the summer leagues and give us a more structured and stable league.

In 5 -10 years open age rugby might well be non existent in "summer" or winter.The summer season starts in march with pre season friendlies and challenge cup games in jan and feb and ends with the conference grand final in november,leaving december as the only month when "summer" teams are not playing.Winter teams start in september (with friendlies in august) and finish in may,with june and july the free months.Your suggestion of a break at the height of summer (say july) would mean that the summer and winter teams are playing in almost identical month.December is the worst month for winter rugby teams when players will try and work saturdays to pay for christmas.I do not know which are the hardest months for summer teams perhaps july/august in the holiday season.A sensible solution in my opinion would be to start the season in september,have a break in december and january and finish the season in may/june.

In 5 -10 years open age rugby might well be non existent in "summer" or winter.The summer season starts in march with pre season friendlies and challenge cup games in jan and feb and ends with the conference grand final in november,leaving december as the only month when "summer" teams are not playing.Winter teams start in september (with friendlies in august) and finish in may,with june and july the free months.Your suggestion of a break at the height of summer (say july) would mean that the summer and winter teams are playing in almost identical month.December is the worst month for winter rugby teams when players will try and work saturdays to pay for christmas.I do not know which are the hardest months for summer teams perhaps july/august in the holiday season.A sensible solution in my opinion would be to start the season in september,have a break in december and january and finish the season in may/june.

Your extended summer season is more than a little disingenuous. The season for most teams comes to a close towards the end of September, with only a handful of NCL Premier games running into October. The NCL Grand Final is the solitary 'summer' fixture in November. So let's not paint summer as something which runs from January - November, when realistically we know it's March - September/October.  

I can't ever see the elite amateur game going back to winter, and as more and more of the pub rugby sides opt for summer then winter will really struggle over the next couple of years. Shambolic management by BARLA and the Pennine League have hastened the decline of winter rugby.

This forum is the only place I ever come across supporters of winter rugby.  

Firstly I imagine open age rugby will still be about in 5-10 years time, I can not fathom out why it wouldn't be. People always preach the death knell for rugby league but it has never happened and I don't ever think it will, this is just my opinion of course.

The administration of the sport at amateur level does need getting a grip of, there shouldn't be two separate bodies running the game it should just be the one.

It would be ideal if each league had 12 teams giving 22 fixtures in the league (approx 5 months) another three months a so for play offs (top 4), cup games and freindlies etc. Around 35 weeks of rugby throughout the year leaving 17 weeks free. I would prefer not to have a break at all but if we had to I would say 2 weeks at the end of August.  

Friendlies / beginning of cup competitions to start in March, league to start proper in April. Then I would suggest the season finishes by the very latest in November, October if we didn't take 2 weeks out in August (plenty of time for cup games throughout the season). This would then give us the worst months of the year off, Dec, Jan, Feb (plus possibly Nov or March too).

The only stumbling block would be the CC but I suppose teams would enter that at there own wishes.

I must admit I think 35 is too many games and it could probably slim down to around 30, giving extra weeks to play about with.

This is obviously all in my opinion and it would be an ideal scenario for me as an advocate of 'fairer' month’s rugby. I understand many people prefer rugby in the bleaker months but I believe (maybe wish) that it is inevitable that the game will move towards the 'fairer' months. In saying that if the demand is there I think a winter league should still be made available for teams that wish to play in it.

Archived