Clues on Yorkshire Mens League set up 2015?

The downward trend RL is experiencing is mirrored in other sports - including rugby union.

The truth is: young players simply aren't as committed as they once were. It's a societal change rather than something unique to rugby league.

The impact is probably felt most keenly in RL because of the physical toll from playing the game at even a modest level.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Beverley left hull and district to compete in yorkshire league through teams not turning out. Law n behold there first game in yml there opponents couldnt raise a team!!! Imho beverley wil struggle there was a good division one side in hull. Anytime there played a premier side there got beat. Go and win your district premier before moving on. Guaranteed theyl b bk in hull next season

Beverley left hull and district to compete in yorkshire league through teams not turning out. Law n behold there first game in yml there opponents couldnt raise a team!!! Imho beverley wil struggle there was a good division one side in hull. Anytime there played a premier side there got beat. Go and win your district premier before moving on. Guaranteed theyl b bk in hull next season

They're in division 1 in the summer though so not the top flight. Not sure why winning their district premier is relevant as they're switching seasons rather than stepping up. They won't win their division, but won't be bottom either.

I think what we're finding is that clubs too reliant on players from the other season are folding (this also applies to the Pennine league sections of NCL clubs which rarely finish the season). In this case it's a summer club over reliant on players from Queens, West Leeds and Morley Borough.

From what I remember Halifax Irish failed to complete their 2013-14 premier division season, hence their reluctance to go back up to there. So their folding this time round may be related to pre-existing issues

Bowes as usual some of you're thoughts are accurate. You missed out the coach retiring after last years grand final, players turning pro Craig Boot, players retiring and the fact Hunslet OB are now summer a loss of 4 players from last seasons GF. The main problem though was when the merger with Rodley took place in an effort to have one club players all seasons the a Leeds League refused our registration so no w

Yeah I think that was wrong what happened with the Rodley players. If they'd been allowed to register at least you'd have a team in the lower divisions still. The game in Yorkshire is in a mess, only 5 Pennine premier division teams left and only one Championship side really ready to step up. Would be so much better to have everyone in one season which really should be summer to line up with the rest of the game

Bowes as usual some of you're thoughts are accurate. You missed out the coach retiring after last years grand final, players turning pro Craig Boot, players retiring and the fact Hunslet OB are now summer a loss of 4 players from last seasons GF. The main problem though was when the merger with Rodley took place in an effort to have one club players all seasons the a Leeds League refused our registration so no w

I think what we're finding is that clubs too reliant on players from the other season are folding (this also applies to the Pennine league sections of NCL clubs which rarely finish the season). In this case it's a summer club over reliant on players from Queens, West Leeds and Morley Borough.

From what I remember Halifax Irish failed to complete their 2013-14 premier division season, hence their reluctance to go back up to there. So their folding this time round may be related to pre-existing issues

Bowes when will you or the RFL admit the may have got it wrong, the game has never been in such a mess, you quote the Open Age (have Brighouse now pulled out?) please look at the youth and how many teams there are and games going ahead, if you look at the Yorkshire Juniors the older age groups have to say why they don't play look how many say we cannot raise a team, 2 in Cumberland open age, our 16s 1 game in 7 weeks, let's all play in the entry league once a month when we may raise a team, the game is getting beyond repair nothing will change as the RFL won't admit anything is wrong, is it the lowest participation since records have been kept??

Has the promised land of Summer just been a big Mistake???

Bowes when will you or the RFL admit the may have got it wrong, the game has never been in such a mess, you quote the Open Age (have Brighouse now pulled out?) please look at the youth and how many teams there are and games going ahead, if you look at the Yorkshire Juniors the older age groups have to say why they don't play look how many say we cannot raise a team, 2 in Cumberland open age, our 16s 1 game in 7 weeks, let's all play in the entry league once a month when we may raise a team, the game is getting beyond repair nothing will change as the RFL won't admit anything is wrong, is it the lowest participation since records have been kept??

Has the promised land of Summer just been a big Mistake???

Two words: Pennine League

Bowes there is a common denominator the NGB .

Everybody admits the participation figures are down except the NGB .

They got one thing right less games cancelled due to the weather but the bit they got wrong more games cancelled due to player unavailability unprecedented in living memory but still we have no concrete corrective action .

But never mind the game is safe in their hands .

The thing is the only alternative to the NGB is a far worse option that teams drop out of on a weekly basis (except perhaps in Hull). The only thing doing worse than summer rugby league is winter rugby league.

Drighlington, Thornhill Trojans, Chequerfield Rangers, Halifax Irish, Brighouse Rangers, Illingworth, Sharlston Rovers, Birkenshaw, Dewsbury Moor, Bentley Good Companions, Newsome Panthers, St Joseph's, Cutsyke Raiders, Methley Royals, Hunslet Warriors, Littleborough, Shaw Cross Sharks, Wibsey Warriors, Kellingley Welfare, Castleford Panthers, Stanningley, Dewsbury Celtic, Wortley Dragons, Guiseley Rangers, Slaithwaite Saracens, Brighouse Rangers A, Thornhill Trojans A, Siddal A, Harehills, Methley Royals A, Selby Warriors A, Dearne Valley Bulldogs A, Clayton A

That's 33 teams gone this season, or about a third. 20 of those have gone to summer (which some clubs who finished the season set to join them), but that's 13 sides lost to the game as well. You need to come up with a better alternative than harking back to the failed winter season

Let's make irrelivent changes to the entry age groups, we don't know if it will increase participation and can't tell you if it does, it may take 12 years for them to play open age, but they will play with a smile on their face, at least we will all get a tan watching them

The game will be long gone by then

The thing is the only alternative to the NGB is a far worse option that teams drop out of on a weekly basis (except perhaps in Hull). The only thing doing worse than summer rugby league is winter rugby league.

Drighlington, Thornhill Trojans, Chequerfield Rangers, Halifax Irish, Brighouse Rangers, Illingworth, Sharlston Rovers, Birkenshaw, Dewsbury Moor, Bentley Good Companions, Newsome Panthers, St Joseph's, Cutsyke Raiders, Methley Royals, Hunslet Warriors, Littleborough, Shaw Cross Sharks, Wibsey Warriors, Kellingley Welfare, Castleford Panthers, Stanningley, Dewsbury Celtic, Wortley Dragons, Guiseley Rangers, Slaithwaite Saracens, Brighouse Rangers A, Thornhill Trojans A, Siddal A, Harehills, Methley Royals A, Selby Warriors A, Dearne Valley Bulldogs A, Clayton A

That's 33 teams gone this season, or about a third. 20 of those have gone to summer (which some clubs who finished the season set to join them), but that's 13 sides lost to the game as well. You need to come up with a better alternative than harking back to the failed winter season

Bowes you keep missing the point, and I don't want to sound like a broken record,the switch to summer was to increase participation and allow new players and teams to develop, not destroy what we had as well. You say 20 teams have switched to summer would it not have been great to see 20 new teams and keep the same in the traditional season. As Taxi says there have been more call off for player availability than ever. The youth and Junior is only Summer no competition from Winter teams not reliant on winter players, there are less teams and more call offs than ever, as said our u16 1 game in 7 weeks, the 16-18 age group is supposed to feed the open age in reality you should have more junior teams as you know not everyone will progress to open age, look yourself at the fixtures for this age possibly only 20% to open age teams, no under 18 in Hull, 6-7 in Yorkshire, combined 17-18 in Lancashire with a drop in numbers, 20% reduction in North West Counties teams since the switch, Cumbia is on its backside in terms of youth

SWITCH TO SUMMER TO INCREASE PARTICIPATION, RFL statement not mine

You're missing the point. A switch back to winter would be the final nail in the coffin as proven by every league outside of Hull. The problem is having clubs play in two separate seasons, so we should scrap winter and consolidate everyone into one season (the Pennine league lost a lot more than 20% in one season, so the North West is doing much better comparatively)

The thing is players at those 20 clubs want to play summer, and summer is the main season for rugby league, so why should we stop them to save a failing league?

You're missing the point. A switch back to winter would be the final nail in the coffin as proven by every league outside of Hull. The problem is having clubs play in two separate seasons, so we should scrap winter and consolidate everyone into one season (the Pennine league lost a lot more than 20% in one season, so the North West is doing much better comparatively)

The thing is players at those 20 clubs want to play summer, and summer is the main season for rugby league, so why should we stop them to save a failing league?

Sorry Bowes unfortunately all we do is go round in circles

• Switch to increase, answer why it has not happened?
  • Less Participation, answer why that is the case?
  • More call off's because of player availability, why? RFL said less call offs
  • Winter was on the decline the switch has accelerated this why has the decline not reversed?
  • Just prior to the switch we had 80,000 playing the game which was on the decline, we are now at 40,000 any other business would be held accountable why not the RFL?
  • Why has the game not taken off in summer?
  • Why have we got very few new teams, we are now in the forth year should things not be happening by now?
  • Why has the youth not seen an increase in participation it is all summer?
  • 3 teams have dropped out of the YM Premier like Hull man said Beverley's first 2 games called off
  • We have had one game called off in the winter due to weather, played Beverley 3 times they completed all their fixtures I think they played one team who had less than 13
  • Rugby Union has seen an increase, I know a local RU Chairman who says its the best thing that ever happened RL switching seasons, I seriously worry for our game they will show a legacy after their World Cup where was Rugby Leagues??
  • Please update the Coventry Bears website so we can see how many local lads are playing that will be a good indication of expanding the game or are you doing an Oxford??

I don't deny the game is falling apart, I just think a 20% decline in summer is a lesser evil than a 33% decline in winter.

As to why it is falling apart:

1. The dreaded U16s scholarships

2. The withdrawal of Sport England money which has led to a temporary artificial reversal of the game's decline

3. Players trying to play two overlapping seasons

4. General change in cultural attitudes that are affecting all sports

The one concession I'll make is the Hull and District League are actually giving winter a decent go, the Pennine league is in far worse state than say the North West Men's league

It's fairly obvious that the number of clubs in Yorkshire is kept artificially high by players playing both seasons, it's also very obvious this is detrimental to both seasons.

Incidentally I think the problems with Beverley getting games called off is due to the fact it's a Yorkshire wide league and not a Hull based league. Only a couple more teams would need to switch to run a proper Hull summer league (classing Scarborough in with Hull, I know it's not that close)

Brighouse have withdrawn for financial reasons. In a sign of what's wrong with the game in Yorkshire:

'We will keep our space in the emerging summer league and will play these games to find out exactly where we are player wise for the forthcoming winter league. Hopefully with a view to being reinstated at an appropriate playing level in the Pennine league.'

'Unfortunately Brighouse Rangers need to lick their wounds go back to basics build from within the club and find our level in the Pennine league. Maybe with a view to joining back into the summer league next year'

Basically all this season hopping backwards and forwards isn't healthy

I don't deny the game is falling apart, I just think a 20% decline in summer is a lesser evil than a 33% decline in winter.

As to why it is falling apart:

1. The dreaded U16s scholarships

2. The withdrawal of Sport England money which has led to a temporary artificial reversal of the game's decline

3. Players trying to play two overlapping seasons

4. General change in cultural attitudes that are affecting all sports

The one concession I'll make is the Hull and District League are actually giving winter a decent go, the Pennine league is in far worse state than say the North West Men's league

It's fairly obvious that the number of clubs in Yorkshire is kept artificially high by players playing both seasons, it's also very obvious this is detrimental to both seasons.

Incidentally I think the problems with Beverley getting games called off is due to the fact it's a Yorkshire wide league and not a Hull based league. Only a couple more teams would need to switch to run a proper Hull summer league (classing Scarborough in with Hull, I know it's not that close)

So you can see an issue, I can see an issue, others admit thinks are not right

The RFL on the face of it think things are ok and will not alter their strategy, they have just had £573,000 taken off them but kept in the game for others to spend because the RFL could not be trusted with it, now that is a sad state of affairs for the NGB

Archived