Clues on Yorkshire Mens League set up 2015?

With all this talk of clubs wanting to join the summer league I wonder how the pennine league will deal with clubs who are still playing.

This could be different than a team joining the NCL as I think the summer league starts later and may not have a big overlap or will the pennine treat all the clubs the same.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With all this talk of clubs wanting to join the summer league I wonder how the pennine league will deal with clubs who are still playing.

This could be different than a team joining the NCL as I think the summer league starts later and may not have a big overlap or will the pennine treat all the clubs the same.

You make an interesting point. I'm not so sure the decision to eject the new entrants to the NCL was solely down to completion of fixtures. Maybe for Thornhill and Moor, but one could make the case that Drig could have completed their remaining fixtures (the Premier Div was heavily depleted before their exit) AND started the NCL season on 15 March. It seems to me that they were shown the door because they had joined a higher tier of competition.

Draft leagues have been realeased today, 57 teams. Premier & Div 1, 10 teams a piece. Divs 2-4, 8 and the entry league 13, I imagine more may also join entry league over time too.

The leagues seem a bit hit and miss but overall not too bad. There are a lot of teams in the league above who we beat last year and finished well above but looking at them they are all A teams and our league stand alone teams.

Cup comp to start season and a 9s in June, all looks good.

Premier Division  Bramley Buffaloes Brighouse Rangers Halifax Irish Holderness Vikings Illingworth Kippax Knights Scarborough Pirates Sharlston Rovers Skirlaugh Bulls West Hull

Division 1 Bentley Good Companions Birstall Victoria Hillsborough Hawks Hull Wyke Knottingley Worms Milford Marlins Mirlfield Stags Oulton Raiders Siddal York Acorn

Division 2 Dudley Hill East Leeds Elland Featherstone Lions Heworth  Hunslet Warriors Normanton Knights Shaw Cross Sharks

Division 3 Beverley  Keighley Albion Leeds Akkies Ossett Trinity Ovenden Slaithwaite Saracens Victoria Rangers York Lokos

Division 4 Garforth Tigers Guiseley Rangers Huddersfield YMCA Tigers Lock Lane Mirfield Stags A Scarborough Pirates A Siddal A Stanley Rangers

Entry League Batley Boys Bentley Good Companions A Dewsbury Celtic Hunslet Club Parkside Methley Royals Moldgreen  Moorends Thorne Marauders Stanningley Thornhill Trojans West Bowling Wetherby Bulldogs Wibsey Warriors York Lokos A

I guess they are all first teams yes, it's going to be a good league and not been 2nd teams hopefully all fixtures will be fufilled when they should be this year.

I'm not sure the divisions are in ability order to be honest!

The split between divisions 1-3 seems to be playing season length and as you say first teams in 3 and reserves in 2. I would expect there will be longer seasons in 2016 but this year is a transition with teams switching (I say this assuming 8 teams means 14 games, I may be wrong)

Your extended summer season is more than a little disingenuous. The season for most teams comes to a close towards the end of September, with only a handful of NCL Premier games running into October. The NCL Grand Final is the solitary 'summer' fixture in November. So let's not paint summer as something which runs from January - November, when realistically we know it's March - September/October.  

I can't ever see the elite amateur game going back to winter, and as more and more of the pub rugby sides opt for summer then winter will really struggle over the next couple of years. Shambolic management by BARLA and the Pennine League have hastened the decline of winter rugby.

This forum is the only place I ever come across supporters of winter rugby.  

I agree with the shambolic management but disagree with this being the only place that has supporters of winter rugby, It's the shambolic management that's starting to drive clubs more than the weather.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

• 3 weeks later...

CDR.jpg

Community Dual registration is on it's way for Tier 4 and 5

Has been proposed before to NCL and was rejected. It's within the rules of the league contracted professionals can't play in NCL. Will need a vote by the clubs for it to go in

Already in place in Conference South isn't it?

Some of you guys want to get out into the real world of the amateur game instead of sitting moaning and criticising people who actually work for the game and want to see it survive.

Truth is - like it or not, some or most of the decline is down to players lack of commitment to the game

Some clubs don't even train anymore, in my day if you didn't train it was simple you didn't play... lucky if you even got to put on a subs shirt.

Players now want to pick which games they play in, coaches want to select which division they are in - what happened to a competitive game of rugby, sportsmanship and being proud of your club

There has always been the so called `pot` hunters around, it appears players now move clubs even when they are in for some trophies - has the world gone mad

Its the same after the game, spectators don't go back for a drink, half the away teams don't bother - worse still is your lucky if half your team come back

Ref`s well enough said- no commitment to the game just want their money straight away - strange how they all have somewhere to go once paid!

All the above said - this is not down to any playing league or barla bad management its the way things are moving - but its easy to blame someone than face the truth within the game

You only have to look at the NCL - they no longer have a team they have a squad... the majority of whom I`m informed only play around 10 games a season

The NCL are no longer a dominant league with strong morals on admission standards to the league - they have had to lapse their standards to not only attract new clubs but to retain the ones they have

So come`on lads ... too many people pulling our game down, lets start promoting the amateur`s (that's unless you are all on the side of the RFL who want it to decline)!

Some of you guys want to get out into the real world of the amateur game instead of sitting moaning and criticising people who actually work for the game and want to see it survive.

Truth is - like it or not, some or most of the decline is down to players lack of commitment to the game

Some clubs don't even train anymore, in my day if you didn't train it was simple you didn't play... lucky if you even got to put on a subs shirt.

Players now want to pick which games they play in, coaches want to select which division they are in - what happened to a competitive game of rugby, sportsmanship and being proud of your club

There has always been the so called `pot` hunters around, it appears players now move clubs even when they are in for some trophies - has the world gone mad

Its the same after the game, spectators don't go back for a drink, half the away teams don't bother - worse still is your lucky if half your team come back

Ref`s well enough said- no commitment to the game just want their money straight away - strange how they all have somewhere to go once paid!

All the above said - this is not down to any playing league or barla bad management its the way things are moving - but its easy to blame someone than face the truth within the game

You only have to look at the NCL - they no longer have a team they have a squad... the majority of whom I`m informed only play around 10 games a season

The NCL are no longer a dominant league with strong morals on admission standards to the league - they have had to lapse their standards to not only attract new clubs but to retain the ones they have

So come`on lads ... too many people pulling our game down, lets start promoting the amateur`s (that's unless you are all on the side of the RFL who want it to decline)!

Great Post Bronx and with my State of the game it looks like we are DOOMED

Worse thing is we have a great product

What you will find like my statement nobody seems to disagree with anything you or I have put, it is right but how do we turn it round, people call it negative, I call it worried for the game.

I think the biggest problem is the NGB (RFL) seem to have their heads in the sand and will not accept that there are any issues, without this they will not change anything that may be wrong.

As I have always said some clubs have done well since the change and these are the clubs promted by the RFL when did the RFL promote on their website, Club X has folded after X amount of years, it's juniors have gone to one of the larger more high profile teams/clubs, where you may get seen, don't forget these clubs can only sign a certain amount of players, is this what David Gent called collateral damage

The NWC Mens league has lost 25% of its league teams since the change, they wanted summer, where are all these new players and new clubs rushing to play RL

Your statement is true, society is to blame, so how do we change the game for the better?

Summer can't be blamed for the problems of the game. Look at the number of clubs gone from the Pennine league this season if you don't believe me.

The RFL don't do enough for the amateur game but their resources are spread much more thinly with the cuts in funding. The RFU don't even fund clubs below the Championship these days though so it's not a rugby league issue. The criticism that should be directed at the RFL is the U16s scholarship programme which is very damaging to the youth game.

There are changes in attitudes from players and the game needs to adapt to accept this fact and be less ideological. The game isn't big enough to be split and summer is the accepted view of the vast majority of the game even within Yorkshire (once juniors are thrown in) so with that being the case we need to make summer work rather than ranting about it. If players want to move to bigger clubs we need to ensure the bigger clubs run 2nd and 3rd teams to keep everyone involved. There's a large supply of players of higher end NCL standard sat not being picked by Championship and League 1 sides. If we spread them thinly (no more than 3 per club) we could provide players a place to play, strengthen the league and release the players currently in Championship U23 to the NCL. Better than sticking to 1970s ideological attitudes

Summer can't be blamed for the problems of the game. Look at the number of clubs gone from the Pennine league this season if you don't believe me. (Think alot of clubs are complaining about the poor administration in the Pennine, since the secretary went on the community board her vision of a Traditional season has apparently changed, is this Ethical)

The RFL don't do enough for the amateur game but their resources are spread much more thinly with the cuts in funding. (The RFL still committed to approximatily £4 million each year to spend on the community game, where has this been spent?) The RFU don't even fund clubs below the Championship these days though so it's not a rugby league issue. The criticism that should be directed at the RFL is the U16s scholarship programme which is very damaging to the youth game. (Always has done I agree, will be worse next year if the new rules come into force, Primary club will be the Pro club? More games?)

There are changes in attitudes from players and the game needs to adapt to accept this fact and be less ideological. (I agree) The game isn't big enough to be split and summer is the accepted view of the vast majority of the game even within Yorkshire (once juniors are thrown in) so with that being the case we need to make summer work rather than ranting about it. (My view why summer the game is in more of a mess since this happened, what benifits has there been?) If players want to move to bigger clubs we need to ensure the bigger clubs run 2nd and 3rd teams to keep everyone involved. (That sounds easy but in reallity I have spoken to committee members from large hi profile clubs who dont want more teams they cannot afford them or have the room, no under18s team from Hull this year in the YJ league, West Hull possibly the most Hi Profile club in Hull if not the game, they won everything at OA last year, no Under 18 or 17 this is not progression in my mind) There's a large supply of players of higher end NCL standard sat not being picked by Championship and League 1 sides. If we spread them thinly (no more than 3 per club) we could provide players a place to play, strengthen the league and release the players currently in Championship U23 to the NCL. Better than sticking to 1970s ideological attitudes (Think the NCL have again voted against this)

NWC 13-15 Youth Fixture started today

Under 15    17 Fixtures, Dont think any took place

Under 14    15 Fixtures 5 were postponed

Under 13    14 Fixtures 2 were postponed

I take no pleasure in pointing this out

the game is weaker now than it was 10 years ago, not sure the summer move has contributed to decline or its general malaise in the game,I do not know, I have played,coached and watched and have been involved with my amatuer club for many years and i'm sad to say the game is struggling, certainly in yorkshire from my experience

the game is weaker now than it was 10 years ago, not sure the summer move has contributed to decline or its general malaise in the game,I do not know, I have played,coached and watched and have been involved with my amatuer club for many years and i'm sad to say the game is struggling, certainly in yorkshire from my experience

This is the feedback that keeps getting  mentioned but nobody seems to be able to or want to do anything about it, how long can this carry on??

Last week I and a few others put in a few hours to get a game played on Saturday . Pre season cup game , good game played to a high standard .Not a massive crowd but club did ok with tea/coffee sales ,raffle etc . Both teams had full squads who played the game in the right spirit , hard but fair . No helpers then no rugby , our club has just increased its help force some old faces but a few new ones which was a massive suprise . Was at meeting few weeks ago again after spending a few hours helping out at the club during the day , best wat to discribe the meeting would be positive . Im sure a few clubs(maybe most) are like ours ,working hard to get the game on a weekend.

Last week I and a few others put in a few hours to get a game played on Saturday . Pre season cup game , good game played to a high standard .Not a massive crowd but club did ok with tea/coffee sales ,raffle etc . Both teams had full squads who played the game in the right spirit , hard but fair . No helpers then no rugby , our club has just increased its help force some old faces but a few new ones which was a massive suprise . Was at meeting few weeks ago again after spending a few hours helping out at the club during the day , best wat to discribe the meeting would be positive . Im sure a few clubs(maybe most) are like ours ,working hard to get the game on a weekend.

Great news, you like a lot of clubs are working very hard to keep things going, pre season in February should it be allowed, thought it was summer rugby

Archived