it's four pm

You can see as far as Melbourne from up there.

How very droll.
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Conversely, if it weren't for the short winter days, we wouldn't have the long summer evenings when you can sit outside the pub with a pint of real ale. I know you can do that because I did it once. 1972 I think it was. ;)

Ah, now the long summer evenings...those I definitely do miss.

Life would be perfect if I could live in Aus for eight months of the year and England for the other four...I just love the English summers.

Ah, now the long summer evenings...those I definitely do miss.

Life would be perfect if I could live in Aus for eight months of the year and England for the other four...I just love the English summers.

what else do you miss about the old dart di?

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

This morning i went for a walk along the beach at 6am. The sun was shining and it was 26C and about 80% humidity. walked for an hour, sweated a lot and went home to the air con!

This afternoon I walked down to the end of my street to the beach. Laid there reading my book for half an hour in the 38C heat. Got a bit hot and burnt. Now sitting at home in the air con with a cold drink!!

Wouldn't have it any other way...hehe

It doesn't sound as good as a Saturday afternoon in Whalebone next to a real fire and in the company of Old Frightful.

OK the last bit may be stretching things a little.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

It doesn't sound as good as a Saturday afternoon in Whalebone next to a real fire and in the company of Old Frightful.

OK the last bit may be stretching things a little.

Hmmmph, maybe I'll find some new friends who can look after me better than you lot.
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Hmmmph, maybe I'll find some new friends who can look after me better than you lot.

Is Old Rosie going to be there? She'll take care of you.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

what else do you miss about the old dart di?

I miss a lot more things than I used to.

A lot of it is very subtle stuff that you only understand when you've been away for a while.

For example, I miss how comfortable the country is in its own skin. The country and the people don't feel a need to try and convince everyone how amazing they are...which is something Australia does all the time and it really infuriates me!

The progressive nature of the country.

The acceptance of other cultures and races. I know England has it problems but at least blatant racism is now seen as unacceptable...not so much here. It still shocks me.

The self-deprecating humour.

London - I miss London dreadfully. I only lived there for four years but absolutely loved it. Would love to live there again one day.

The culture and the history.

The proper pubs....oh for a proper pub. Summer nights sitting in the beer garden or winter nights sitting in front of the fire. Bliss.

And opening hours in pubs and bars - if it says it's open til 11, it will be open to 11. Here they do this thing where they say open 'til late'....and if there's no one in at, for example, 9pm, they'll just close. I've lost count of the number of times I've gone to places for a drink only to find they've already closed. Annoying!!

The convenience - all the towns and cities being so close, and all those European cities being on your doorstep. You can fly two or three hours and experience a completely different culture and language. From here, the nearest places are the likes of Bali and Thailand, and they are an eight-hour flight away.

Really wish I'd taken more advantage of Euro city breaks when I lived there.

The English countryside - there's nothing quite like it - and amazing little places like Robin Hood's Bay.

Late summer nights...how I love them. Melbourne isn't too bad here, but where I am now on the Gold Coast, it's dark by 7pm, even at the height of summer.

I really want to move back to the UK for a bit but sadly it won't happen for a while - I have an Aussie boyfriend who has an 11-year-old daughter so until she's older we're pretty much stuck here....having said that,it's not the worst place in the world to live so I'm certainly not complaining :-)

I miss a lot more things than I used to.

A lot of it is very subtle stuff that you only understand when you've been away for a while.

For example, I miss how comfortable the country is in its own skin. The country and the people don't feel a need to try and convince everyone how amazing they are...which is something Australia does all the time and it really infuriates me!

The progressive nature of the country.

The acceptance of other cultures and races. I know England has it problems but at least blatant racism is now seen as unacceptable...not so much here. It still shocks me.

The self-deprecating humour.

London - I miss London dreadfully. I only lived there for four years but absolutely loved it. Would love to live there again one day.

The culture and the history.

The proper pubs....oh for a proper pub. Summer nights sitting in the beer garden or winter nights sitting in front of the fire. Bliss.

And opening hours in pubs and bars - if it says it's open til 11, it will be open to 11. Here they do this thing where they say open 'til late'....and if there's no one in at, for example, 9pm, they'll just close. I've lost count of the number of times I've gone to places for a drink only to find they've already closed. Annoying!!

The convenience - all the towns and cities being so close, and all those European cities being on your doorstep. You can fly two or three hours and experience a completely different culture and language. From here, the nearest places are the likes of Bali and Thailand, and they are an eight-hour flight away.

Really wish I'd taken more advantage of Euro city breaks when I lived there.

The English countryside - there's nothing quite like it - and amazing little places like Robin Hood's Bay.

Late summer nights...how I love them. Melbourne isn't too bad here, but where I am now on the Gold Coast, it's dark by 7pm, even at the height of summer.

I really want to move back to the UK for a bit but sadly it won't happen for a while - I have an Aussie boyfriend who has an 11-year-old daughter so until she's older we're pretty much stuck here....having said that,it's not the worst place in the world to live so I'm certainly not complaining :-)

so what are the pubs in oz like di.

i must say that if i lived in oz i'd miss a lot of the things you mention.

how does the racism you mention express itself?

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

Archived