East RL 2015

Just seen the following put on Facebook by East RL.  Looks like they are trying their best to get a reasonably long season, with league, cup, shield, play offs, origin and 9's games. 

Here's how the sides line up for the up coming season along with Cup, 9's and Origin games:-

EAST PREMIER
Bedford Tigers
Kings Lynn Black Knights
MK Wolves
NH Crusaders
St Albans Centurions
St Ives Roosters (2014 Champions)

EAST DIVISION 1
Brentwood Eels (2014 Champions)
Cambridge Lions
NH Knights
Southend Spartans

EAST ENTRY (Merit League Rules)
Bedford Tigers " A "
Billericay Rangers
Bovingdon Bulldogs (HMP The Mount)
Eastern Rhinos " A "
Hemel Stags " A "
Norwich City Saxons
St Albans Centurions " A "
Any other reserve grade team

Each competition will have a Play Off at the end of the year to determine the Champions.
Premier - Top 4 play off (1st -v- 4th & 2nd -v- 3rd)
Division 1 - Top 3 play off
Entry League - Top 4 play off

CUP
The popular East RL Community Challenge Cup along with its undercard "Shield" competition will be woven throughout the league fixtures too.

9's FESTIVAL
The East RL 9's Festival will take place as the season opener on May Day bank holiday Saturday. (Venue to be confirmed).  We will also see the introduction of the Reserve Grade Cup in 2015 giving our 2nd teams a chance to earn their club a trophy!

ORIGIN
We will debut a three game representative series at the end of the season which will see our best home grown talent face off against the best foreign talent across the East RL. 
The games will take place a week apart from each other one in the North of the region, one in the South and the final one held centrally in an attempt to get as many people as possible to see how great our league has become!

JUNIORS
Its been decided that the East RL will focus on running an U15s competition this summer. A league based on merit rules along with a Cup should help boost the interest of youngsters in the region!
Other age groups are more than welcome but the East RL will be focussing on the U15 age group.
So there it is, a long time coming but we finally have our structure. The planning can begin.

Fixtures will be released in the next two weeks, and with all the above games, and a bit of success, it looks like we will be playing from May into September .

Oh and just one last thing... Its Promotion and Relegation.

• 2 weeks later...

Hot out of 'rumour control', have heard that Hemel Stags have entered into a Dual Reg agreement with North Herts, Bedford and Milton Keynes.  They will supply Hemel 1st team players to these clubs on a Saturday if they are not required by them on Sunday matchday.  I know everyone is doing it these days but it does seem a bit unfair at this level on the local  club players they will be replacing, and the other clubs in that league that aren't doing it.  If it's true, that is - anyone confirm.

Not convinced east premier should allow fringe professionals either. I think Conference League South should be the lowest they're allowed to play. If Hemel and Skolars can't support reserve teams they should either base a joint reserve team out of Watford or find ambitious clubs to loan players out to if they step up to CLS

East RL fixtures just been released.  You can see our fixtures on our website - http://stalbanscenturions.weebly.com/

or the whole lot on - http://www.eastrugbyleague.co.uk/

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

How comes the Cents have dropped Pitchero?

It's a good site and not any particular main reason for changing.  It wasn't  as flexible as we needed.  Our current web provider is £2 per month, cheapest Pitchero does for 3 + teams is £6 or £18.  We do matchday photos for the team (and opponents) to download, Pitchero did not do reasonable sized photos, and as I do the website, I found the freedom of 'doing your own' a little easier than using Pitchero.  if I stop doing it, I'm sure the next person who does it after me would probably go back to Pitchero. 

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

Just realise,  looking at the fixtures, if a team does well in the East Prem this season, making the cup and play off finals, what with pre season games, they could be offering their players almost 20 games.  My local union clubs first team who play in the Herts and Middlesex 1st division, only play 22 games ( these are only three games a month spread over 8 months).  If (big if I know) the East RL can get another couple of teams on board, they could challenge the local union clubs re season length and number of games.

(and I like the Centurions website).

Shouldn't be too difficult to get 2 more teams of premier division standard with the problems in the London League, the difficult question is could all the other clubs play during the RU season

Yeah, was getting a bit carried away I suppose, I was assuming that players would prefer League to union.  If their local league team came along and offered the same amount of games/length of season, wonder how many players would make the switch? 

Just realise,  looking at the fixtures, if a team does well in the East Prem this season, making the cup and play off finals, what with pre season games, they could be offering their players almost 20 games.  My local union clubs first team who play in the Herts and Middlesex 1st division, only play 22 games ( these are only three games a month spread over 8 months).  If (big if I know) the East RL can get another couple of teams on board, they could challenge the local union clubs re season length and number of games.

(and I like the Centurions website).

positive /hopeful - stop it .

Yeah, was getting a bit carried away I suppose, I was assuming that players would prefer League to union.  If their local league team came along and offered the same amount of games/length of season, wonder how many players would make the switch? 

I think there's a good chance of a lot of players at least at the more established clubs. The problem is we always try to use an April to early September season as a stepping stone which isn't long enough to stop players playing RU but is long enough to overlap with RU and see games called off. Needs to be a proper bite of the bullet and March to October even if it means 3 games a month as per RU.

I'd have thought Bedford, St Albans and North Herts could go to a full season, St Ives never seem to raise a team for the Harry Jepson. Don't really know enough about the other two to comment.

I think there's a good chance of a lot of players at least at the more established clubs. The problem is we always try to use an April to early September season as a stepping stone which isn't long enough to stop players playing RU but is long enough to overlap with RU and see games called off. Needs to be a proper bite of the bullet and March to October even if it means 3 games a month as per RU.

I'd have thought Bedford, St Albans and North Herts could go to a full season, St Ives never seem to raise a team for the Harry Jepson. Don't really know enough about the other two to comment.

Last time St Albans qualified for the HJT they won it, beating Coventry Bears I believe!

• 2 months later...

The East RL have announced their season is starting on 2nd May with the 9 a side Bash On The Beach tournament at Southend.

• 1 month later...

Not a great start in the East Premier. Just been told MK have pulled out of the game against Kings Lynn on Saturday; may pull out of the league as well... hope the latter point is not true.

When St Albans played the RAF a few weeks ago, I was talking to a chap who said he was one of the new coaches at Milton Keynes and that everything was going well.  Lots of new players, two junior teams and a touch rugby set up.  He did say he would have liked a bigger pool of senior players, but who wouldn't.  A bit worrying that this is a home game at MK, so I just hope that this is an end of union tournament/jolly boys or something like that and MK fulfil their remaining fixtures.

Did they lose players with changing grounds?

Apparently, but then got good support from their new 'landlord' club.

So I just hope that this is an end of union tournament/jolly boys or something like that and MK fulfil their remaining fixtures.

We all hope so but the Kings Lynn coach didn't sound to optimistic. Can only guess it is the RU season as Bletchley is not far from being around the corner from the old ground.

More positive news is the creation of Breckland Spartans who will be playing out of Watton Sports Ground in Norfolk. Not sure if they'll be playing in a league as yet but I believe did well in the East 9s last week.

Hot off the press from rumour control, Milton Keynes have asked to leave East RL as they could not commit to fulfilling their fixtures, but Breckland Spartans ( RAF & local union players) have stepped up to take their place, giving a commitment that they can fulfil all their fixtures.  I was told that Spartans are a mixture of RAF personnel and local union boys.  Good luck to them for stepping up, we'll see how they get on this weekend when they travel to St Albans. 

Update - just found this on the interweb -

MK Wolves have asked to be removed from the Premier and will compete this summer in the East Entry League. This was a club decision that we must all support as they felt they would be unable to compete at Premier level all season after a reshuffle in the off season. Breckland Spartans have agreed to step up and fulfil their fixtures. The website will be updated this evening

Breckland Spartans RFL are a Newley formed Rugby league team. They have a young talented squad who have the desire to progress to the highest level.

Breckland pick a lot of their players from an RAF base and local union clubs and looked good at the 9s. They are run by a former Kings Lynn Black Knight and we are assured that they will be fine for the entire fixture list. Mk Wolves will maintain their place in the Cup however

Archived