Wolf Hall

I'm a sucker for historical fiction. I've read both Wolf Hall and Bring up the Bodies and enjoyed both of them.  I'm really looking forward to the TV series that starts on Wednesday on the Beeb.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

I thought he was a legendary delta blues man killed mysteriously after an argument over a dame in clarksdale

No, Wilf Hall played for Ipswich and Stoke City.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ah yes

Hacker Hall. Hard but fair as I recall. Never the same player after he beheaded the Gateshead United goalkeeper in a goal mouth melee on the old fourth division north. Soccer was soccer then

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

It's about royalty having sex and being killed with dubious explanations from the Monarchy.

I had a nightmare last week:

The tabloids were having a field day.

Tony Blair made sure that the media saw him shedding a tear.

Elton John was singing Candle in the Wind.

Earl Spencer opened the Anne Boleyn Garden.

Jack Ketch was driving a white Fiat.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

It's about the rise of Thomas Cromwell.  The fall is being dealt with in the third book of the trilogy.  The Beeb are going overboard with Henry VIII stuff at the moment presumably to set the mood.  Henry VIII and Six Wives was on BBC2 this morning.  Keith Michell portrays Henry as an old man when he dies, but he was only 55.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

According to today's Observer, Roman Catholics will have a problem with it because it portrays Thomas Moore (canonised by Pius XI) as a fanatical torturer of heretics, who gets his comeuppance thanks to Thomas Cromwell.  Cromwell has always been portrayed as a bad guy, Henry VIII's hatchet man, Wolf Hall as Johnoco says shows him as the ultimate meritocrat.

Clement Attlee.

According to today's Observer, Roman Catholics will have a problem with it because it portrays Thomas Moore (canonised by Pius XI) as a fanatical torturer of heretics, who gets his comeuppance thanks to Thomas Cromwell.  Cromwell has always been portrayed as a bad guy, Henry VIII's hatchet man, Wolf Hall as Johnoco says shows him as the ultimate meritocrat.

So Hilary mantel can expect a punch presumably

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

So Hilary mantel can expect a punch presumably

As long as she doesn't get a fatwa I don't suppose she'll worry too much.

Clement Attlee.

Was he the brother of the empty headed union troll Norfolk Hall.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

According to today's Observer, Roman Catholics will have a problem with it because it portrays Thomas Moore (canonised by Pius XI) as a fanatical torturer of heretics,

Allegations that he personally tortured heretics were widespread during his lifetime. His writings on the subject of burning people at the stake don't do much to dispel the idea.

Neither side can claim the moral high ground in this area. Many Protestants as well as Cathoilcs were burnt at this time, it was pretty much standard practice for heretics. Mary I was a Catholic, inclined to burning Protestants whereas her half sister Elizabeth I, was the opposite.

Indeed. But Thomas More as a fanatic torturer of heretics who got his comeuppance at the behest of Cromwell seems to me a pretty accurate representation of what happened. More & Fisher were ( I think) made some kind of saint within the C of E in recent times, too, and the "they were all at it" explanation was trotted out then, too.

He was responsible for the torture  and burning of those who owned bibles in English, not only heretics but those literate in English.  Went on to become the patron saint of politicians. 

Well, I've stuck with it for half an hour.

Boring. There's more life in a tramp's vest.

There's nothing else on worth watching either, so I'm going to watch an Etta James concert that I taped.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

I was going to watch it, but 'A Knight's Tale' was on another channel. Not exactly* as historically accurate, but a film with a great sense of fun. Heath Ledger is ridiculously handsome, Shannyn Sossamon is rather lovely, James Purefoy commands the screen in his two brief appearances, but Paul Bettany steals every scene he's in as a magnificently depraved Geoffrey Chaucer (portrayed as a sort of mediaeval Jeffrey Bernard).

*Not even slightly!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I think every film, tv series or book I have seen have portrayed More as the 'nice guy with principles' and Cromwell and Wolsey as the scheming baddies.  This seems to show it the other way round.  As Trojan says, slow start, but hopefully will get better.

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

Same era try c j Sansome novels.about a lawyer working for t cromwell in the first book.called   Sovereign.

Well worth reading.

They were serialised on R4 recently, I thought they sounded great, I'm going to take your advice.

Clement Attlee.

Archived