Sign in to follow this  
Johnoco

TRL International Travel Club

Thinking of going to the USA next January for my birthday. But learned members of TRL, which is best

; New York or Boston?

Anyone been or have any experience of these places? I am probably leaning towards NY but am after some general info from people who have been.

Both! I visited both September last year, It really does depend what you are looking for and how long you want to stay. Boston is incredible, historic, and very relaxed. New York is the same, but bigger and a lot faster! Boston is a walkable City, New York less so.

Another big difference is $$$.You can blow through a lot of cash in New York quite easily.

The above may sound like I am putting a downer on New York, which I am not, I have visited New York three times, Boston only once. Maybe that is why I am a bit more enamoured with Boston at the moment.

January is a great time to visit New York, the weather will cut you to the bone, as will, no doubt, Boston (Bob8 can give you a lot more info on Boston than I ever could)

Either way, you won't be disappointed with your choice.

Larry the Leit's your man surely. He must have played Madison Square Gardens and Fenway Park in his time.

New York's Fantastic for a long weekend, much more and it'll bankrupt you.

Boston. NY is fine but very limited once you scratch the surface. Boston has the cultural benefits plus it's far more relaxed. Only been to Boston once but thorougly enjoyed it.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

Never been to either, so cannot comment on their relative merits.

I would think that, depending on when your birthday is,  the typical weather conditions in each might be a factor.

I would like to go to Boston for St Patrick's Day.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Not been to either but from what I've heard from others, New York is much more rewarding if you know someone there who can show you around. Much like London, in that way.

I'd expect January in either city to be serious brass monkey territory.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

I went to NY in September 2013.  I thought it was great.  Radio City Music Hall is a must if you like Art Deco like I do.  We went to the "top of the Rock" after being advised it was the best way to see all the other tall buildings.  We also went to Liberty Island which was great.  My favourite building is the Flatiron

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=flatiron+building&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=qbu8VJrVF4X4UrzEg4AB&ved=0CDYQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=775

We also saw ground zero, and toured Manhattan on an open top bus.  I can't speak about Boston, never been.  You can buy a Metro card for travel on the Subway, and recharge it at ITM machines.  TBH I found the subway a bit archaic compared to London. But I'd definitely recommend New York for a long weekend.  Bit cold in January though I'd have thought. BTW the beer is not all Bud - they do loads of different British style ales.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

New York all day long.

Boston is fine, but it ain't New York.

It's not a question of coming down to earth, Mr Duxbury. Some of us, Mr Duxbury, belong in the stars.

NY is one of the world's great cities - manhattan, empire state building, central park, some of the world's best museums, the whole place is like a movie set. Boston has a bit of history and a couple of nice universities. Absolutely no contest. I'd also put Washington DC a long way ahead of Boston, FWIW.

Thanks all.

When people say NY is expensive, do they mean 'WTF? expensive' or just a bit on the pricey side? What are you looking at spending over 3 or 4 days? (without scrimping)

I don't know, but suspect, that it's posible to get a much cheaper flight to New York than to Boston. My daughter is a teacher and went with a party of the kids on a school trip to New York last November.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Thanks all.

When people say NY is expensive, do they mean 'WTF? expensive' or just a bit on the pricey side? What are you looking at spending over 3 or 4 days? (without scrimping)

Totally depends on what you want to do. I'd say it was significantly cheaper than 3 or 4 days in London. If you like shopping or living it up, you could get through thousands of pounds no problem.

We stayed 3 days in this place (family of 4, in August 2014) http://www.paperfactoryhotel.com/ for about $120 per day. It's about 10 seconds walk from the subway that takes a few minutes into Manhattan, really nice place, full of character. If you stay in a 5* hotel in central manhattan, you could stick a zero on the end of that. Food, transport etc are generally cheaper than the UK - but again you coul easily find swanky restaurants where you'd pay hundreds of dollars for a meal. Empire state building is $29 per person, top of the Rockefeller is the same. 90 minute boat cruise round manhattan past the statue of liberty, 40$ per person. Hot dog in central park, couple of dollars.

Boston's fine, but New York is one of the great cities in the world - there's absolutely no contest.   It's not cheap anymore - whether food or drink or shopping - but it's not much different to London tbh. If you put some time and effort in, there are tons of fantastic places all over the city that won't break the bank.  Like: Prosperity Dumplings on the Lower East Side - four steaming hot Chinese dumplings for $1. Bargain. Vanessa's Dumpling House now charges $1.25 - they'll never get my business ever again. 

Thinking of going to the USA next January for my birthday. But learned members of TRL, which is best

; New York or Boston?

Anyone been or have any experience of these places? I am probably leaning towards NY but am after some general info from people who have been.

why not go to both you can get some great deals.

Went to washington and NYC and was in paradise for the whole time. Travelled from Washington to NYC on the train: amazing experience. It was like being in a Springsteen video. Make sure you take a camera.

You can't go wrong with food: just follow your nose. I was surprised by the beer. I didn't even see an ad for Budweisser and every bar I went to sold interesting beer. 

People were much friendlier and approachable than I was expecting.

The only downer was tipping. It got to the stage where I thought I was supposed to tip somebody if I passed them in the street.

I wouldn't recommend anywhere for you to visit. This is because there is so much to see. Find out what you fancy and go.

It was this time of year when we went, and it was really cold but the air was very dry. It stung the skin on your face. I thought it was great. 

My favourite experiences were:

photographing everything and everyone I saw

eating breakfast in a diner in NYC. There was even a cop eating doughnuts at the next table. Corned beef has with eggs benedict on top. One of the stand out meals of my life.

The Washington Monument and all the memorials in the area, especially the vietnam, the Korea one one and the Luther King one.

seeing Johnny Winter at BB King's club on 42nd street.

Our Hotel in Washington. Really old gaff, great food and free wine at night.

Our Hotel in NYC really futuristic. Your luggage is handled by robots and you can change the configuration of the room. It was called 'Yotel', check it out.

and loads loads more.

Boston is top level as well, and negotiations are in progress, although I fancy Chicago and Memphis as well.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

Here's something to watch if you are in New York and hungry for the good stuff: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xo2jbj_the-layover-s01e02-new-york_travel

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

Thanks all.

Beware, restaurant prices are plus tax and service, you don't pay what it says on the menu

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

You are also expected to tip a higher percentage than the UK's 10%.

Thanks all.

Hotels are expensive, especially in Manhattan. But if you are there for a few days, paying out and getting a good location will make your time much more enjoyable.

Eating out you can take your pick - lots of cheap, good value places if you look. "Posher" restaurants can be pricey - you can easily get to $150 dollars for 2 without trying too hard. The plus side of this is that in my experience and in general the service and the food is much better than what the equivalent money would get you in say London.

But you can do stuff that doesn't cost much at all. Bit of a trip on the subway, but heading down to Coney Island is fun (relive the final scene of The Warriors and see the fun fair that inspired every episode of Scooby Doo), the Staten Island ferry is free (?) or next to nothing. And there's a good beer / bar scene. Doesn't matter if you walk in just you and your maud, the bar keeper will chat with you and you'll be made right at home. Good place for a drink is New York, Lower East Side if you can get there.

Sounds a bit poncey, but if you are there on a Sunday, keep some money back and do the whole brunch thing. Really different way of spending a Sunday compared to the UK.

Also, if you fly into JFK definately get a yellow cab into Manhattan. It's a fixed fare (around $45 from pick up to your hotel, wherever it is in Manhattan) and if the weather is good you'll get the kind of view of New York that opens Woody Allen films as you come in. Scrimp on your way back and get the subway for the return leg.

But the key message is: New York > Boston.

It's not a question of coming down to earth, Mr Duxbury. Some of us, Mr Duxbury, belong in the stars.

I've been to Boston 4 times, twice on holiday, twice for work. I would definitely go again, I like the 'feel' of the city. I've never been to NY but would like to one day.

Boston has a charm to it and I've enjoyed every visit there. I am not sure that there is a wrong choice just once you've made your mind up try and plan what you want to do and where you want to visit as there will never be enough time on one visit to cover everything.

Research, research, research and make notes so you make sure that when you get there, you aren't just following the flow to some underwhelming tourist trap.

Use social media to get ideas from the locals about what's good and what's fun.