Sign in to follow this  
Johnoco

TRL International Travel Club

Hotels are expensive, especially in Manhattan. But if you are there for a few days, paying out and getting a good location will make your time much more enjoyable.

Eating out you can take your pick - lots of cheap, good value places if you look. "Posher" restaurants can be pricey - you can easily get to $150 dollars for 2 without trying too hard. The plus side of this is that in my experience and in general the service and the food is much better than what the equivalent money would get you in say London.

But you can do stuff that doesn't cost much at all. Bit of a trip on the subway, but heading down to Coney Island is fun (relive the final scene of The Warriors and see the fun fair that inspired every episode of Scooby Doo), the Staten Island ferry is free (?) or next to nothing. And there's a good beer / bar scene. Doesn't matter if you walk in just you and your maud, the bar keeper will chat with you and you'll be made right at home. Good place for a drink is New York, Lower East Side if you can get there.

Sounds a bit poncey, but if you are there on a Sunday, keep some money back and do the whole brunch thing. Really different way of spending a Sunday compared to the UK.

Also, if you fly into JFK definately get a yellow cab into Manhattan. It's a fixed fare (around $45 from pick up to your hotel, wherever it is in Manhattan) and if the weather is good you'll get the kind of view of New York that opens Woody Allen films as you come in. Scrimp on your way back and get the subway for the return leg.

But the key message is: New York > Boston.

We stayed at a hotel in Chelsea, IIRC it was quite reasonable, and you got a very good breakfast.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Hotels are expensive, especially in Manhattan. But if you are there for a few days, paying out and getting a good location will make your time much more enjoyable.

Eating out you can take your pick - lots of cheap, good value places if you look. "Posher" restaurants can be pricey - you can easily get to $150 dollars for 2 without trying too hard. The plus side of this is that in my experience and in general the service and the food is much better than what the equivalent money would get you in say London.

But you can do stuff that doesn't cost much at all. Bit of a trip on the subway, but heading down to Coney Island is fun (relive the final scene of The Warriors and see the fun fair that inspired every episode of Scooby Doo), the Staten Island ferry is free (?) or next to nothing. And there's a good beer / bar scene. Doesn't matter if you walk in just you and your maud, the bar keeper will chat with you and you'll be made right at home. Good place for a drink is New York, Lower East Side if you can get there.

Sounds a bit poncey, but if you are there on a Sunday, keep some money back and do the whole brunch thing. Really different way of spending a Sunday compared to the UK.

Also, if you fly into JFK definately get a yellow cab into Manhattan. It's a fixed fare (around $45 from pick up to your hotel, wherever it is in Manhattan) and if the weather is good you'll get the kind of view of New York that opens Woody Allen films as you come in. Scrimp on your way back and get the subway for the return leg.

But the key message is: New York > Boston.

I had some great times in bars in NYC. Great beer and whisky to choose from. In one the bartender found out it was my birthday and he gave me this huge tumbler of single malt on the house. I ate from street food right up to a really expensive restaurant. The question for me was not is it cheap or expensive, but whether it was good quality and good value. It always was. In DC it was pretty much the same, if a slightly different vibe. I didn't go on the subway in NYC. It seemed too complicated.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

Bridlington it is then ;)

don't knock it John.

places like brid, scarborough and Whitby are superb places to stay out of season. 

Keeping it local

I didn't go on the subway in NYC. It seemed too complicated.

Some advice you can have for nothing - don't go to Tokyo!

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Some advice you can have for nothing - don't go to Tokyo!

it made me realise how good the tube system was.

I think I'll give it a go next time.

Keeping it local

don't knock it John.

places like brid, scarborough and Whitby are superb places to stay out of season.

Oh, I love those places and even used to work in Scarborough. I was just jesting.

Oh, I love those places and even used to work in Scarborough. I was just jesting.

aye I know you were luv

Keeping it local

Have visited both. I'd say it depends on what sort of holiday you want. NY is knackering, so much to see and the pace is more hectic.

I loved Boston, more relaxed loads of history if that floats your boat, easy to get round different vibe to New York.

have also stayed in Providence in Rhode Island which was funny.