Record ST sales at Leigh

Do people really think that the virtually guaranteed significant average attendance increases in all divisions will not be heavily promoted as proof the changes are successful, it will be factually correct and if it changes the perception of a declining sport then Brilliant

I am looking forward to the season as are many people. However, the only proof whether this system will be successful is if this has increased enthusiasm, attendances and viewing figures over 5 years or so. TBH I am not sold on this yet as it is designed primarily for the strongest to get stronger.

Leigh's resurgence is very refreshing and they should be strong performers this year. Great news about the ST sales too.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you saying the game was healthy in the early 90s? Or are you saying attendances were higher?

I believe, I do not have access to the numbers, that due to the number of games played ie Regal, County cups etc the aggregate attendances across the divisions would be higher

I believe, I do not have access to the numbers, that due to the number of games played ie Regal, County cups etc the aggregate attendances across the divisions would be higher

The health of the game has always been measured on league attendances, cups are far to random to give comparisons season on season. That said, it would be interesting to do an analysis over a long period (which smooths out some of the randomness) on how the cups affect attendances.

Go on its your turn, I'm always doing the figures, you want to prove your point give us the numbers. Good luck.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Oh for ffs who would ever think it's a good Idea to live in or near even thinking it's ok next to the 580 A road to a kicking to Liverpool? ######k.".

Can anyone translate this into English?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Oh for ffs who would ever think it's a good Idea to live in or near even thinking it's ok next to the 580 A road to a kicking to Liverpool? ######k.".

I'm warming to him, his randomness is amusing.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

I'm warming to him, his randomness is amusing.

How can you tell which side of the argument he's on any more? He started off in classic form, ferreting the maximum possible (or, more often, imagined) negative out of every thread, but the sheer babbling incoherence of his last few 'contributions' leaves you wondering if he's still relentlessly denigrating everything or has somehow done a 180 degree switcheroo. 

He's like TRL's very own Stanley Unwin.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

He's like TRL's very own Stanley Unwin.

Nah, eventually you could work out what Stanley actually meant to say. 

So is this the highest number of season tickets sold in Leigh's 136 year history?

So is this the highest number of season tickets sold in Leigh's 136 year history?

It could be like in the 2005 storming of SL when they 'sold over 5,000 tickets' for their first game and only 4,062 turned up, including the away support.

It helps when the fans can see some tangible reward for a successful season , in fact up to now other than the move to FT ( funded in no small measure by the increased central funding ) and some good recruitment the club havent actually done much if any marketing 

What is needed if this new structure is to succeed is further increases in central funding further down the Championships

The central funding - TV and sponsorship revenue - is entirely generated by SL. Why should those clubs give more money to Championship clubs who don't do anything to generate it.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

It could be like in the 2005 storming of SL when they 'sold over 5,000 tickets' for their first game and only 4,062 turned up, including the away support.

So it's not a record number of Season Tickets then. Perhaps the thread should have read "record number of season tickets sold if we only take the last three years into consideration"

So it's not a record number of Season Tickets then. Perhaps the thread should have read "record number of season tickets sold if we only take the last three years into consideration"

Clever ###### aren't you, you need to hook up with Padge - a bit of a brainfest for bitter Humbles

Do people really think that the virtually guaranteed significant average attendance increases in all divisions will not be heavily promoted as proof the changes are successful, it will be factually correct and if it changes the perception of a declining sport then Brilliant

i think you mean total attendances.

average attendances are a useful tool, but they don't illustrate the growth or otherwise of the popularity of the sport.

take your club attendances for nearly all game s could be and usually have been poor overall for a season in the top flight, but a big attendance for one game when the Warriors visit, gives a false impression. Averages are useful because they give a kind of specimen crowd.

I think what the Centurions is doing is great. My concern is the emphasis placed on promotion to the elite being a major feature of the marketing(or whatever you want to call it). if you make a promise you have to be able to keep it.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

Clever ###### aren't you, you need to hook up with Padge - a bit of a brainfest for bitter Humbles

You take no notice Craiq, you still drew significantly more fans than Salford in 2005.

Enjoy the ride it will be fascinating....

I thought Leighs average in the dismal 2005 SL season was fine. Getting pasted week in and week out and averaging over 4500 is commendable.

How does that average bear up to last seasons SL ? I bet some mid table teams were within a 1000 of that .

And just for the record, that first ever S/L game v Huddersfield was played in the wettest and coldest conditions I have ever experienced ! Some people just stayed in the pub, but credit to the hoards of Huddersfield fans who braved the elements (all 11 of them !!)

1o years on and here we go again. The transformation is one of THE success stories and the new structure will work for sure !

I thought Leighs average in the dismal 2005 SL season was fine. Getting pasted week in and week out and averaging over 4500 is commendable.

How does that average bear up to last seasons SL ? I bet some mid table teams were within a 1000 of that .

London were nowhere and Salford were less than Leigh's 2005 average.

Top eight Widnes's 5,600 were indeed within 1,000 of that.

Comparing 1994 with 2014 I think aggregates were lower in league games in 1994 and they played more matches, but there isn't that big a difference and the better supported challenge cup in those days and the additional regal cup made up the difference somewhat.

I'm still to be convinced about aggregate attendances, I prefer to look at average attendances at clubs against their break even to get an idea who is healthy, and who is being propped up and who is a lost cause.

pre-1996 was all semi pro, post 1996 was part pro and the amounts directors put in changed. The £Millions that go in today don't compare with the smaller Directors loans pre-1996.

I'm confident the Mr wood will be claiming a huge increase in average, even when that is solely down to the big clubs playing each other more. I'm 100% confident it will make 0% difference to the perception of the game.

And just for the record, that first ever S/L game v Huddersfield was played in the wettest and coldest conditions I have ever experienced ! Some people just stayed in the pub, but credit to the hoards of Huddersfield fans who braved the elements (all 11 of them !!)

1o years on and here we go again. The transformation is one of THE success stories and the new structure will work for sure !

What are your thoughts on their promotion season? Attendances were lower than the previous season

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

What's the argument here. If we fsck up completely Leigh are within 20%? Not a great argument for anything really

You looking for an argument Scotchy?

Never!!!

If people ask for the facts I like to introduce them, makes for more sensible arguments until the facts get completely ignored again, or dismissed if they don't suit.

On the aggregate thing...

Just going off the weekly average for SL last season of 8,365 (source is Wikipedia! I couldn't find anything else to go by!), if you multiply that by 26 rounds and 7 games per round, the aggregate is 1,522,430.

So that's the SL target. We now only have 12 teams, but we also have different mix of games so it's a bit difficult to work out! I'm gonna go with 1,522,430 divided by (22 reg season x 6 games per week + 7 top eight x 4 games per week + 7 middle eight x 2* games per week)

So 1,522,430 / (132 + 28 + 14) = 1,522,430 / 174 = 8,749 average needed to beat last year's aggregate.

*I just included half of the middle 8 games to make it easier to work out. The other half can be used as Championship figcorrector probably isn't correct, but it's a good rough guess.

Without London in the league, it shouldn't be hard for clubs to achieve that overall. The big clubs are playing each other more, and I doubt even the smallest drawers would go close to London's awful average last year.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Archived