Choose the USA National Team Name

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They played under the 'Patriots' name, when they first appeared at the World Sevens.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

What about the Buffaloes? They are fairly synonymous with USA - despite covering most of the higher latitudes of the Northern Hemisphere, from Poland through to Canada.

The Grizzlies?

What about the Buffaloes? They are fairly synonymous with USA - despite covering most of the higher latitudes of the Northern Hemisphere, from Poland through to Canada.

The Grizzlies?

Buffaloes? It's very difficult to come up with a name that isn't already being used by a team in NFL, rugby union, or even elswhere in league itself.

I do like Grizzlies though, you might have cracked it Farmduck :)

Traditionally Rugby League International teams are named after an animal synonymous with the relevant nation e.g. Kangaroos, Kiwi's, Kumuls etc (although its not written in stone)

The Mustangs I believe is a great name as the Mustang has an image of a wild, fast animal. It is synonymous with North America and you also have the added "power" imagery of the car!

Its not often I post on here, mainly because of some of the style of postings, this thread being a classic example- " these are all rubbish". No explanation, no alternative no narrative to the reasoning.

For the record the original USA Rugby League Team took the name "The All-Stars". Great book on the subject No Helmet's Required.

Buffalo makes me think of Manitoba, but I guess it's works for USA as well. Grizzlies, same thing, but for BC. Beavers, as the national animal of Canada, definitely not.

Of the three choices, I'd go with Mustangs, as the lesser of three evils.

Pedants would object to 'Buffaloes' on two grounds.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Traditionally Rugby League International teams are named after an animal synonymous with the relevant nation e.g. Kangaroos, Kiwi's, Kumuls etc (although its not written in stone)

The Mustangs I believe is a great name as the Mustang has an image of a wild, fast animal. It is synonymous with North America and you also have the added "power" imagery of the car!

Its not often I post on here, mainly because of some of the style of postings, this thread being a classic example- " these are all rubbish". No explanation, no alternative no narrative to the reasoning.

For the record the original USA Rugby League Team took the name "The All-Stars". Great book on the subject No Helmet's Required.

Well just for you. 1. I don't think the name of a flag is a good choice for a team. The England Union Jacks for instance or St Georges Crosses.

2. in the USA the Generals are the team routinely put up as opposition to the Harlem Globetrotters and humiliated ,mocked and derided. Not a good image to transfer to a National team.

3. The mustangs for me conjures up a scruffy, wild horse living in the badlands and getting rounded up and branded every year. Alternatively they are a cheap sportscar produced as a mass alternative to the Chevrolet Corvette, not a top of the line image there.

The Grizzlies suggestion appeals to me as a majestic, tough, universally feared carnivore synonymous with the American Wilderness.

Those are my thoughts on the matter. I am truly sorry I upset you. That was not my intention.

This is what happens when you don't read the thread properly, people are suggesting plenty of alternatives, the USA Grizzlies has a nice ring to it imo.

And isn't the Mustang name owned by Ford/General Motors?

This is what happens when you don't read the thread properly, people are suggesting plenty of alternatives, the USA Grizzlies has a nice ring to it imo.

And isn't the Mustang name owned by Ford/General Motors?

A mustang is a wild horse, how can Ford/GM own it? It's like someone owning Rottweiler.

rldfsignature.jpg

Alternatively they are a cheap sportscar produced as a mass alternative to the Chevrolet Corvette, not a top of the line image there.

^ Not sure if serious? :dry:

I think their best bet would to be to try to acquire the Tomahawk name from amnrl. Obviously they would've tried that, so how about the Pioneers, they've used that for national teams before right?

The problem with a lot of these is that either due to their nature, or existing sports teams, they have "regional" identities. Grizzlies > West Coast, Buffalo > Prairie/plains, mustangs > the west again. I'd stay away from generals just due to military connotations (I know, are Tomahawks any better?)

After some further thought, WHY does a national team need a nickname at all? Like obviously they will, but why an "official" nickname. That seems like more of a "club" feature. I understand that they develop on their own, but there's no need to force one.

Team USA. All you need to know right there.

Archived