TRL Helpdesk: Choosing an estate agent

Down here there are virtual estate agents that only sell online and do not have highstreet locations so charge much lower commission %

They still use boards outside the house and contact potential buyers as per normal. Might be worth a try.

Down here there are virtual estate agents that only sell online and do not have highstreet locations so charge much lower commission %

They still use boards outside the house and contact potential buyers as per normal. Might be worth a try.

Thanks. I could see about putting my house up for sale with two agents.

I deal with a lot of estate agents and in my experience the independents knock the socks off the franchise/chains. so personally I'd always go with an independent with a strong local reputation.

Would avoid using two agents unless your desperate, split fees for the agents but same costs in my experience result in lower levels of service.

Would never use one that wasn't going to list on rightmove.

I'd also be looking for one that gives you a floor plan and professional photos as standard.  Especially with your place, the garden in spring in the shot you want giving the first impression, so even if you get it on the market now, make sure you get a fresh external taken and used if its still on the market later in the year when the gardens in bloom.

Negotiate the fee, don't give them carte Blanche on exclusiveness. Reserve the right to advertise with someone else if they haven't found a buyer in x months.

It's a cut throat business, so if they want your business make them sweat.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Whichever one you choose remember they are only working for themselves and they are all utter bastards.

Blimey, didn't think that one would get through the filter :ph34r:

I'm surprised 'estate agents' gets through the swear filter.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I deal with a lot of estate agents and in my experience the independents knock the socks off the franchise/chains. so personally I'd always go with an independent with a strong local reputation.

Would avoid using two agents unless your desperate, split fees for the agents but same costs in my experience result in lower levels of service.

I'd also be looking for one that gives you a floor plan and professional photos as standard.  Especially with your place, the garden in spring in the shot you want giving the first impression, so even if you get it on the market now, make sure you get a fresh external taken and used if its still on the market later in the year when the gardens in bloom.

Hi Marc,

I've sent you a message.

Our Stu has taken some decent photos of the garden including a fantastic sunset over the fields. 

Archived