DEWSBURY RAMS 19 SHEFFIELD EAGLES 10: Discussion and highlights

thehullram

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based in today, be surprised if Smith makes the squad. Adamson or Wood I'd have on the bench too.

Wagga not happy when he went off so that could be an injury, making selection easier. Don't envy Glenn only being able to pick 17 each week.

Thought we played really well today, trying a number of moves and throwing the ball around. Saw the good and not so good of Crookes. Great going forward, but jumped the line a couple of times and just got away with it. Having said that thought our line defense was great against a team, who offered little in the last 20.

Based on today, no way will they be top 4, although they will improve as we will.

I think we will be 5th or 6th, but have a great chance of winning the shield as I fancy us against anyone in one off games, so if we get to semi's .....

Excited about new season and just hope all the guys stay mainly injury free

Up The Rams

Mirfield Rams

One thing that stood out for me was that Grant is wasted on his wing as we rarely go that way. We saw what he is capable of when crookes set him free in the second half. Grady has to start at centre but with crookes or wood? Thought both did ok today. Agree Hemingway should start at 9 but Wagga should be on bench. Farrell showed he can offload as well as Tommy though so hopefully a place on the bench for him. Price looked solid at FB too.

They were some impressive performances,Thackeray had his usual good game,Grady is all class,Aarron Brown looks like he's getting fitter his try was brilliant how he went round Richie Mathers was over good,I like the look of Toby Adamson strong going forward & defence looks solid,Dalton Grant can't half shift took his try really well the way he beat his winger then cut inside with pace was shear class.Thought the pack as a whole played very well,Zach Johnson had a couple of good stints until he limped off. Can't make my mind up about Wildie at 6 he's a good player but to me he's a hooker or loose forward,so on the whole good team performance don't envy Glenn when he's to pick 17 out of the squad he's got,it'll be hard enough to drop players from yesterday then when look at the players that didn't play!!

My idea of the team for Sheffield:

GM's team: My choice:

1 Pryce.

2. Morton.

3 Grady

4 Wood.

5 Grant.

6. Wildie

7. Thackeray

8. Smith

9. Hemingway

10 Hepworth

11 Spicer

12 Hale

13 Brown

14 Godwin

15 Haggarty

16 Aizue

17 Hyde

My selection:

1 Pryce

2. Morton

3 Grady

4 Beckett

5 Grant

6 Hyde

7 Thackeray

8 Johnson

9 Hemingway

10 Hepworth

11 Spicer

12 Hale

13 Brown

14 Godwin

15 Haggarty

16 Farrell

17 Aizue

Legs, Dews, Legs.

My idea of the team for Sheffield:

GM's team

My choice:

1 Pryce.

2. Morton.

3 Grady

4 Wood.

5 Grant.

6. Wildie

7. Thackeray

8. Smith

9. Hemingway

10 Hepworth

11 Spicer

12 Hale

13 Brown

14 Godwin

15 Haggarty

16 Aizue

17 Hyde

My selection:

1 Pryce

2. Morton

3 Grady

4 Beckett

5 Grant

6 Hyde

7 Thackeray

8 Johnson

9 Hemingway

10 Hepworth

11 Spicer

12 Hale

13 Brown

14 Godwin

15 Haggarty

16 Farrell

17 Aizue

I'd go with GM's choice over yours CF, although I do acknowledge that you have the greater experience. Is Beckett fit now and when will Crooks feature?

I think Wildie will blossom slowly as he gets used to Championship conditions and also helps those around him to improve. If you watch him he is a great organiser and takes a lot of pressure off Thackeray, allowing him to play to his strengths.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Adding a curveball in here, from an Eagles point of view, this would be my lineup against you guys. 

1. Laulu-Togagae 

2. Turner. 

3. Yere. 

4. Smeaton. 

5. Taulapapa. 

6. Briggs. 

7. Brambani. 

8. Battye. 

9. South. 

10. Stringer. 

11. Straugheir. 

12. Knowles. 

13. Walker 

Interchange - Thorpe, Tonks, Langley, Davey. 

Will be a cracker! 

Usually in Sunderland, sometimes in Sheffield. 

Write for a few rugby league websites, mainly about the Kingstone Press Championship. 

Twitter - @DFSports97

Adding a curveball in here, from an Eagles point of view, this would be my lineup against you guys.

1. Laulu-Togagae

2. Turner.

3. Yere.

4. Smeaton.

5. Taulapapa.

6. Briggs.

7. Brambani.

8. Battye.

9. South.

10. Stringer.

11. Straugheir.

12. Knowles.

13. Walker

Will be a cracker!

Strong team there,but what your thoughts on not having any friendly\trial games before next week's game,good thing or bad?Noticed Mr Aston was at our game yesterday.

Strong team there,but what your thoughts on not having any friendly\trial games before next week's game,good thing or bad?Noticed Mr Aston was at our game yesterday.

Same thoughts as per every season, that we should have at least one game. He's stubborn in his ways is Tubbs and he wouldn't mind me saying that I'm sure.  Not a surprise he was there considering we've got Rams away first up and London at 'home' second. Great win for you guys yesterday, I'm sure it's made you guys that bit more optimistic, as well as excited. 

Write for a few rugby league websites, mainly about the Kingstone Press Championship. 

Twitter - @DFSports97

1. Laulu-Togagae 

2. Turner. 

3. Yere. 

4. Smeaton. 

5. Taulapapa. 

6. Briggs. 

7. Brambani. 

8. Battye. 

9. South. 

10. Stringer. 

11. Straugheir. 

12. Knowles. 

13. Walker 

Will be a cracker!

You could play your second team and win..we just can't beat you lot and nothing suggests to me that will change this time. Hope I'm wrong of course and I can't make it because of half tern holiday so you never know. Would be just my luck to miss it shoud the miracle occur!

You could play your second team and win..we just can't beat you lot and nothing suggests to me that will change this time. Hope I'm wrong of course and I can't make it because of half tern holiday so you never know. Would be just my luck to miss it shoud the miracle occur!

Dewsbury's best team for quite some time against a Sheffield side who are usually undercooked at the start of the season. I've gone for 25-18 to Sheffield but would not be surprised one iota if Rams come away with the two points.  

Twitter - @DFSports97

I agree with NickD Sheffield are our bogey team and always seem to get the rub of the green against us.But we will never get a better opportunity to turn them over! My team would be:

Pryce

Morton

Grady

Crooks

Grant

Wildie

Thackeray

Haggerty

Hemingway

Hepworth

Spicer

Hale

Brown

Aizue

Godwin

Hyde

Farrell

1 pryce 2 grant 3 crookes 4 grady 5 morton 6 wildie 7 thackeray 8 aizue 9 godwin 10 hepworth 11 spicer 12 hale 13 brown subs 14 wright 15 johnson 16 farrell 17 adamson

1. KARL PRYCE
  2. DALE MORTON
  3. SHANE GRADY
  4. JASON CROOKES
  5. DALTON GRANT
  6. KIERAN HYDE
  7. ANTHONY THACKERAY
  8. MATT HAGGARTY
  9. WAYNE GODWIN
  10. RYAN HEPWORTH
  11. ROB SPICER
  12. SCOTT HALE
  13. AARON BROWN
  14. RYAN WRIGHT
  15. JOEL FARRELL
  16. MAKALI AIZUE
  17. ZACH JOHNSON

• KARL PRYCE
  • DALE MORTON
  • SHANE GRADY
  • JASON CROOKES
  • DALTON GRANT
  • KIERAN HYDE
  • ANTHONY THACKERAY
  • MATT HAGGARTY
  • WAYNE GODWIN
  • RYAN HEPWORTH
  • ROB SPICER
  • SCOTT HALE
  • AARON BROWN
  • RYAN WRIGHT
  • JOEL FARRELL
  • MAKALI AIZUE
  • ZACH JOHNSON
There is no way that GM would drop Wildie from this match. He

Is our standout signing brought in specifically to do the job that has been identified by GM.

Similarly Hemingway has been in good form in the friendlies so Weight will have to get used to A team football for a while.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Blind side johnny, on 03 Feb 2015 - 02:38 AM, said:

There is no way that GM would drop Wildie from this match. He

Is our standout signing brought in specifically to do the job that has been identified by GM.

Similarly Hemingway has been in good form in the friendlies so Weight will have to get used to A team football for a while.

I'm inclined to agree, but can't for the life of me see why. He must be another one of those players who do everything so effectively you never notice. I'm sure that Crookes will be first choice centre this season, but looking at his shape on Sunday, he has a fair way to go to match fitness. I'd go Hyde to fullback, Pryce to centre to combat Yere (horses for courses) and Crookes to the bench. Wouldn't be surprised if the team remains largely unchanged from Sunday though.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

Tom Coates, on 03 Feb 2015 - 11:25 AM, said:

Think it's a bit early to judge Wildie. Let him play some competitive, high-intensity matches alongside Thackeray first.

Not judging him Tom - hasn't done much wrong, but thought he would have shown a bit more SL quality in the friendlies - currently don't think he is better than Hyde at half back. Maybe he is a natural hooker as some seem to think.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

Not judging him Tom - hasn't done much wrong, but thought he would have shown a bit more SL quality in the friendlies - currently don't think he is better than Hyde at half back. Maybe he is a natural hooker as some seem to think.

I recall Barry Eaton in his early days getting a lot of criticism for his lack of creativity and I suspect this will be the same case. Wildie is a good organiser and will take a lot of pressure off Thackeray, allowing him to thrive even more. Fans tend to see the fancy stuff and overlook the seemingly mundane but consistent input of other players. I also like Hyde but can't ignore his tendency to make one or more massive bloopers each game.

The competition for places will be fascinating and will test the skills of our coaching staff. I look forward to seeing how players perform in the A team when it gets going too.

Think the rams will be the dark horses of this league (pains me to say it)

You have recruited very well and your home ground will become a fortress.

Predict a 24-10 win against Tubby moaning Astons Seagulls.

Where was Byron smith Sunday? Can't see him getting in the 17 unless we get injuries.. Going to be tough picking the team, some good players will be missing out every week.. I'd go with pryce, Morton, Grady, crooks, grant, wildie, Thackeray, haggarty, Hemingway, Hepworth, spicer, hale, brown... Subs Farrell, Hyde, aizue, Adamson or Godwin... Think hydey can turn a game! Farrell's got a good offload game and liked the look of Toby adamson too. Reckon Wayne Godwin may miss out

Where was Byron smith Sunday? Can't see him getting in the 17 unless we get injuries.. Going to be tough picking the team, some good players will be missing out every week.. I'd go with pryce, Morton, Grady, crooks, grant, wildie, Thackeray, haggarty, Hemingway, Hepworth, spicer, hale, brown... Subs Farrell, Hyde, aizue, Adamson or Godwin... Think hydey can turn a game! Farrell's got a good offload game and liked the look of Toby adamson too. Reckon Wayne Godwin may miss out

Heard Byron Smith had a slight injury,wouldn't drop Godwin we'll need his experience.

We had Wildie on loan at Batley a few years ago, and played him as a hooker. He wasn't spectacular but showed some nice touches and was a good distributor.

Think you just need to be patient really as the lad probably hasnt yet fully established a definitive position. It's hard to when youve been on loan to several difficult clubs and only played spasmodically for your parent one. He clearly has ability though.

Tom Hemmingway is another similar example. He was a very useful 7 at Batley and I would have been more than happy to keep him, but would never have picked him as a hooker. However sounds like he's doing really well there for you. Paul Mennell the same too, started as a half and ended up a good hooker.

Takes some players a while that's all to find their most suited position.

Archived