DEWSBURY RAMS 19 SHEFFIELD EAGLES 10: Discussion and highlights

thehullram

Dewsbury Defeat Stuttering Sheffield - http://wp.me/p3JxPK-v6

A balanced assessment RaGA.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A balanced assessment RaGA.

I do try  ;)

Despite the Eagles loss, the game was an entertaining one to watch and some great kicking was on show from both sides at times. From a Sheffield perspective, a loss to London next week leaves us playing a game of catch-up from round three onwards. For you guys, Workington's not the easiest place to go but if Wildie and Thackeray are on form, you've always a chance. 

Usually in Sunderland, sometimes in Sheffield. 

Write for a few rugby league websites, mainly about the Kingstone Press Championship. 

Twitter - @DFSports97

I do try  ;)

Despite the Eagles loss, the game was an entertaining one to watch and some great kicking was on show from both sides at times. From a Sheffield perspective, a loss to London next week leaves us playing a game of catch-up from round three onwards. For you guys, Workington's not the easiest place to go but if Wildie and Thackeray are on form, you've always a chance. 

It will be a tough league RaGA and the travelling for both our clubs next week may take their toll. I do think the new format is exciting though - every game counts!

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

It will be a tough league RaGA and the travelling for both our clubs next week may take their toll. I do think the new format is exciting though - every game counts!

No easy games at all. Home form is key for everybody so a win next week for us will help our cause significantly. 

It's revitalised this competition, a lot of teams have taken it by the scruff of the neck as shown by the signings that have been made. 

Usually in Sunderland, sometimes in Sheffield. 

Write for a few rugby league websites, mainly about the Kingstone Press Championship. 

Twitter - @DFSports97

Bloody typical. At least it's warm and sunny here in Cuba!

Well done all and let's hope we can kick on. Interested in BSJs comments about going right all the time. Said that myself after the London game but dalton still got two tries!

Oh and Karl will undoubtedly continue to attract criticism from those who don't watch him play every week. I thought he was pretty solid last night. He maybe could have done better to clear Briggs' excellent kick for their second try, but he made very good yards every time he got the ball.

Apart from Sheffield's second try I thought Pryce had a good game!

I think someone had spilt some treacle behind the sticks and he got caught in it, so he couldn't get to the ball in time.

Hopefully Fieldhouse will come back sooner rather than later and Pryce can move back into the centres where less exposed.

rambo.gif

Sorry eddie.... There were four of us in attendance.... All of the same opinion.

He is slow, lethargic, has the turning circle of a battleship and in attack has all the potency of a jaffa....

Dews won with 12 men last night....

Happy for dews to play him v fev

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

Sorry eddie.... There were four of us in attendance.... All of the same opinion.

He is slow, lethargic, has the turning circle of a battleship and in attack has all the potency of a jaffa....

I will hold my hands up as I've never really been a fan of his. I think you must have missed how many Eagles players he draws in for the tackle. How many times did he take the ball up for the tap on the 20 metre line? Yes he was to blame for the Eagles 2nd try, but to say Dews won with 12 men last night is a very poor comment. 

Happy for dews to play him v fev. Maybe those words will come back to haunt you!

Karl invariably draws criticism from opposing fans, but he's won a lot of people round at Dewsbury.

Due to his sheer size he doesn't appear to be moving fast, and his body language sometimes doesn't do him any favours, but he rarely makes mistakes, draws in defenders and makes good yards every time he has the ball.

Sheffield's line speed last night was fantastic, but you'll usually also find him chiming into the line in the last 20 and providing some excellent final balls.

And technically he was out of position last night. He usually operates at centre, where urgency and kick return capabilities aren't as pivotal.

Tom

Robin Evans, on 15 Feb 2015 - 06:58 AM, said:

maybe... but I'll stick with em eddie.....

Robin there are still a fair few of the SS still give him stick, but believe it or not, he is still our most dependable back. Grady gets most of the plaudits where our backs are concerned, but he doesn't score (or prevent) anywhere near as many tries as Karl saves.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

Yes, no other Dewsbury player was at all at fault for that try.

:tongue:

Robin there are still a fair few of the SS still give him stick, but believe it or not, he is still our most dependable back. Grady gets most of the plaudits where our backs are concerned, but he doesn't score (or prevent) anywhere near as many tries as Karl saves.

I accept my comments ate based on limited evidence.... but if friday night is standard, I won't be unhappy at his inclusion in dews team v fev.

However, I acknowledge that Fridays game may not be representative of his game.

I thought he was poor friday and nowhere near the level of the rest of the dews team. Tom has offered some insight as to why that may appear so.

I will follow with interest because I feel dews are in for their best season possibly this century.

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

I think, Robin, that what you saw of Pryce on Friday, is typical of his game. I do wish he would change up a gear, but his overall game is not in question.

Whilst I enjoyed the game, I do wish Sheffield would not resort to their niggling, spoiling tactics, as when they decide to play the game, they can be entertaining. Having had no warm-up game, they seemed to tire, but we did not capitalise on this until near the end. If that is Sheffield's ability without a friendly, then they should go well again this season.

I thought all our players performed well and I could not have selected one stand out player (happy for Farrell to get it though), but thought Grady did a good job of looking after Yere, even if it did lessen his attacking prowess.

Legs, Dews, Legs.

Yes, no other Dewsbury player was at all at fault for that try.

:tongue:

I thought it was a clever kick that wrong footed Pryce,admitted Karl was slow to react to the situation but so was a few other players I'd have Pryce in my side every time because for me the good things he does,like his defending,taking the ball up out weigh' s the bad things. Nobody's mentioned Dale Morton been out of position for Scott Turner's try!

Should try get Peter Fox though.

Tried and found wanting by a couple of clubs recently. The wingers we have are better IMHO. When Dalton Grant finally gets a pass he might just get the chance to show us how good he is.

Archived