Promotion and relegation or something completely different ?

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there will always be ' gaps ' within any sport , making those gaps ' bridgable ' generates interest from both fans and sponsors , an ' unbridgable ' gap just creates apathy , The lower SL clubs look to initially reach the next level ' competitiveness ' with the top SL clubs , The top Championships look to reach competitiveness with the lower SL clubs and so on , small steps , not giant leaps

That might just one day get a midlands,northeast,south club into SL

What is the model then? Is it......

If the £147M due to SL clubs and the £16M due to CC & CC1 in the next 5 year SKY deal was split amongst 38 clubs over 5 years then every club could get £800K apiece. 

All clubs then limited to £1,000,000 salary cap.

All clubs full time with star players unable to congregate in the same clubs therefore they have to disperse across the clubs??

Have I got it? 

why didn't that work for the previous century we tried it?

Not from the approach of sharing the SKY money across all clubs.

As I say the big clubs hated the gate levy etc and went "Elite" in 1973.

So to be fair for 42 years we have tried the Elite approach and it hasn't worked either?

Not from the approach of sharing the SKY money across all clubs.

As I say the big clubs hated the gate levy etc and went "Elite" in 1973.

So to be fair for 42 years we have tried the Elite approach and it hasn't worked either?

But we still aren't going to be sharing that ticket revenue, merchandise, sponsors etc etc are we.

There was no extra money really up until SL. Even then we haven't really tried an elite approach

But we still aren't going to be sharing that ticket revenue, merchandise, sponsors etc etc are we.

That's not the point. The point is if the salary paid to the players was even across all clubs then all clubs would have a chance of developing the one thing that brings all the extras of fans, sponsors, merchandise and ticket revenue - on field success.

Even as high up as top of the championship clubs are professional on a cap of £1M. Theoretically it's affordable across the board, theoeretically it can spread the talent.

Kryten may explain?

That's not the point. The point is if the salary paid to the players was even across all clubs then all clubs would have a chance of developing the one thing that brings all the extras of fans, sponsors, merchandise and ticket revenue - on field success.

Even as high up as top of the championship clubs are professional on a cap of £1M. Theoretically it's affordable across the board, theoeretically it can spread the talent.

Kryten may explain?

I'll be fair to Krytensmate and say I don't think that is what he is advocating. I don't think anyone would advocate it. It's clearly full of holes.

Kryten may explain?

Not level throughout the 3 divisions , but at 3 levels that are close enough for clubs that can attract fans,sponsors,rich individuals to move up to challenge the bottom of the next level , within any level there will be success and failure , that is sport/business/life

Not level throughout the 3 divisions , but at 3 levels that are close enough for clubs that can attract fans,sponsors,rich individuals to move up to challenge the bottom of the next level , within any level there will be success and failure , that is sport/business/life

is there a sport where that works regularly and sustainably?

What sport should we be trying to emulate?

This is brilliant.....

Six replies on the trot none of which are "On topic"

Start a "silly thread" of your own and don't hijack this one.

Craiq was talking thank you.

I thought it was great. Best laugh I've had all week. 

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Just as Getting to the Level of Leeds and Wigan is beyond some clubs even with equal funding + a little, it is beyond some of the lower league clubs to get to the level of a Leigh or Bradford.

Leigh haven't always been as good as they currently are. It wasn't that long back that they would've been relegated one season before the RFL threw them a life line. It's only since their income improved that they did.

SIGNATURE

Leigh haven't always been as good as they currently are. It wasn't that long back that they would've been relegated one season before the RFL threw them a life line. It's only since their income improved that they did.

Correct , Leigh are fortunate that the timing of new investement and good recruitment has coincided with the implementation of the new structure and more importantly the extra central funding , allowing them to move an already good squad into full time

Funnily enough they are now actually putting together a structure within the club that I as a director at the time suggested was needed 11 years ago to achieve and retain SL status

Nothing would make me happier for 1 st Leigh to succeed in getting promoted under this new structure but also then to see other clubs be able to improve and also challenge to move up to SL , to me if the ' gap ' isnt unbridgeable then movement between the Championship and SL for any club able to do so would be good for the game , and would ultimatley improve the sport as a whole

It would seem john kear is supportive of this new structure as he has suggested that quite posiibly 2 clubs could move up this season , and a future where one day Batley could do the same

It would seem john kear is supportive of this new structure as he has suggested that quite posiibly 2 clubs could move up this season , and a future where one day Batley could do the same

Back on topic (and I've said it before), I am also a supporter of the new scheme. I never really liked the licensing plan and thought P&R should be the only way to do things (this is my opinion before someone jumps on my back). I think though, after reading further into the new scheme and understanding it better, that this will keep the competition exciting throughout the season and give something to play for, for those with SL aspirations.

Roll on Batley V Workington!

SIGNATURE

Ex players are the last people who's opinion should be listened to

Lance Todd, was obviously an idiot.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Funnily enough they are now actually putting together a structure within the club that I as a director at the time suggested was needed 11 years ago to achieve and retain SL status

I'd be interested to know what that is, achieve it and the yo-yo criticism is quashed.

Had the current system been in place in 2005 Leigh could have stayed up by fending off Whitehaven, Halifax, HKR & Castleford.

In one way the new system enables a club to stay up. in another it makes it all the more harder to get up.

How would a club manage both? As it stood Castleford who won the play off didn't stay up 2006 

Back on topic (and I've said it before), I am also a supporter of the new scheme. I never really liked the licensing plan and thought P&R should be the only way to do things (this is my opinion before someone jumps on my back). I think though, after reading further into the new scheme and understanding it better, that this will keep the competition exciting throughout the season and give something to play for, for those with SL aspirations.

Roll on Batley V Workington!

Here, there lies a large problem (among others), right here.

You certainly don't want to spend five minutes to explain what the hell is going on to fringe RL fans (the kind  who tipically doesn't follow these kind of topics) or newcomers. That's an unnecessary burden. 

Matt Dawson on the radio today was pushing the idea of ring fencing rugby unions top comp and abolishing P and R.

There have been an endless number of people advocating to ring-fence the premiership over the years, the gap between the premiership and the chamlpionship being simply too large for a credible P&R mechanism to work (see London Welsh as a piece of evidence).

Sounds familiar ?

they largely have though haven't they. The position Leigh have occupied for most of the last 40 years is towards the top of the 2nd tier. There have been outlier seasons, some when they have won promotion, some where they have been at bottom of the 2nd. By far the majority they have been about where they are now.

Archived