5 Feb: Widnes Vikings v Wigan Warriors KO 8pm (TV)

Who will win?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Widnes Vikings
    • Draw
    • Wigan Warriors

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Smith's kick was petulance, not malicious. Yellow not a problem.

Tomkins actually did the right thing, he stopped apotential fight breaking out by using a rugby tackle, as opposed to causing a fight by not using a rugby tackle. He protected his own player by taking the threat out without resorting to swinging punches.

Suppose you'll call that fishing

I only got to see the last 10 minutes, but of course I can use the comments on this thread as a 100% accurate historical record of what actually happened. In both Widnes v Wigan games. :rolleyes: 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Don't be ridiculous. Tackling with force from behind a player who isn't expecting it is as likely to injure as throwing a punch and was an aggressive motioNo not stopping a fight.

Good to see that I have not lost my touch in the off season.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

widnes seemed to handle the occasion better but I would say they too weren't happy with the way the whole game penned out. Wigan suffered from too many brain farts and need to get a whole lot more organised and disciplined. Still it was a close game and that's what we are all striving for isn't i?

widnes seemed to handle the occasion better but I would say they too weren't happy with the way the whole game penned out. Wigan suffered from too many brain farts and need to get a whole lot more organised and disciplined. Still it was a close game and that's what we are all striving for isn't i?

Wayne was out Wayned by Bettes, Widnes were in trouble, unless they could take Wigan off their game, which they did admirably. Its all part of the tactics, all coaches/teams play at it, no team goes "Oh dear we are a man down, better jolly well start playing by the rules then chaps."

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Wayne was out Wayned by Bettes, Widnes were in trouble, unless they could take Wigan off their game, which they did admirably. Its all part of the tactics, all coaches/teams play at it, no team goes "Oh dear we are a man down, better jolly well start playing by the rules then chaps."

Agreed, but at 16 0, wigan were sailing and had a few chances to go further ahead and seal the win. But a few knock ons and bad decisions put a stop to that. Fair play to widnes to be a man down and match us.

Agreed, but at 16 0, wigan were sailing and had a few chances to go further ahead and seal the win. But a few knock ons and bad decisions put a stop to that. Fair play to widnes to be a man down and match us.

I don't think Wigan were sailing, they had a good lead, there is a difference.

In late on kickers, bad losers, found out!

Also Isnt It supposed to be easy against 12 men?!?!

How are wigan favourites?!?!

Erm, let me fink...

... did the bookies reckon they'll win it, just a thought.

As opposed to a supporter of another club thinks I don't like Wigan. {{{{Insta-reply}}}}---- "I have nothing against Wigan, I often praise them for (       ) [fill in blank]

AD... {{{{Insta-reply}}}} is brought to you by Goggle Ads, your instant way to lie on the internet.

What a fantastic start to the season. 12 men aren't quite so easy to beat after all! Full credit to Widnes for earning the point there, I expect they'll be much the happier of the two sides. I think the highlight for me was some of their aggressive defence in the second half when Wigan were in a threatening position. The timing and judgement in shooting out of the line to meet the ball carrier was spot on on several occasions. It would've been all too easy to go into their shell and let Wigan come at them, but I think in refusing to do that they sent a clear message that they still believed they could get something out of the game. 

Wigan look very easy to wind up. Teams need to get right in their faces and exploit their lack of discipline. Smith should've seen the red card even if it was more petulant than malicious. We can't have someone kicking out because they object to the other team celebrating. As for Joel, we've seen that needless rushing in from him before and we no doubt will again.

Hopefully Saints vs Catalans will be equally entertaining.

Hopefully Saints vs Catalans will be equally entertaining.

It is their responsibility to provide some decent Rugby this evening... the BBC will be showing the alternative.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

My quick twopenneth;

After going to An Evening with the Bulls and settling down to watch the game afterwards with wine and beers I got sleepy, and I finally saw the end of the game early this morning but wasn't it good to have rugby back?! :biggrin:

As for Patrick Ah Van, well, Widnes are better without him and the incident reminded me of the Gareth Raynor swinging arm on Sam Tomkins in 2011, so while it was a surprise to see him sent off I think Josh Charnley laying prone through concussion after may have had an influence.

And for any future doubt, let's just agree we all hate Wigan so the TRL Pies can harrumph in unison. ;)

Opinions eh. 6 of us just watched the sending of at work, 5 neutrals and 1 Wigan fan ( who in fairness is rarely biased). 4 thought it was never a red, 2 did. Of the 2 that did neither was the Wigan fan, one was a saints fan.

Opinions eh. 6 of us just watched the sending of at work, 5 neutrals and 1 Wigan fan ( who in fairness is rarely biased). 4 thought it was never a red, 2 did. Of the 2 that did neither was the Wigan fan, one was a saints fan.

I think it is a hard one to call for a ref on the field. It is contact with the head but in all honesty, I think a sin binning would have been fair. It didn't appear intentional and it was just unfortunate, but as we know from previous seasons, refs try to lay a marker early on, and knocking someone out, intentional or not, is probably going to get you a red.

Wigan look very easy to wind up. Teams need to get right in their faces and exploit their lack of discipline. Smith should've seen the red card even if it was more petulant than malicious. We can't have someone kicking out because they object to the other team celebrating. As for Joel, we've seen that needless rushing in from him before and we no doubt will again.

First, I thought the Ah Van was a red - swinging arm, hit him right in the mush and sparked him. I probably would have been ok with a yellow. And the subsequent Wigan one looked less like a red. I thought he hit him on the shoulder and it went up from there. 

Second, I agree about the winding up - the celebrating where he did was a bit off - in the NFL I think that would have been called 'excessive celebration'. But we don't have that in SL, so keep your cool and do it right back after driving up field and popping the one pointer over. Run up to him and celebrate even.

Joel looks a liability. He obviously wants to look after the smaller players - he used to pile in every time Sam had a to-do. I thought it was just because it was his bro - maybe not. He needs to learnt to keep calm - a bit of 'handbags' will usually do the trick if he wants to keep people away from his half backs.

It's one of those where you can see why the red is given but it seems harsh and coming off an introduction where it seemed that sin-binnings would be more of an option for refs in such situations I was surprised it wasn't used then.

I do think the game has got so fast and moves so quickly from play to play now that it is simply not fair to expect one man in the middle to stay in control, especially when things get tasty.  The TJs can't always help and the rules on when video can be used don't really seem consistent either.  I know it's dull relative to the spectacle of the game as a whole but the whole set-up of the officiating crew needs to be looked at.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

First, I thought the Ah Van was a red - swinging arm, hit him right in the mush and sparked him. I probably would have been ok with a yellow. And the subsequent Wigan one looked less like a red. I thought he hit him on the shoulder and it went up from there. 

Second, I agree about the winding up - the celebrating where he did was a bit off - in the NFL I think that would have been called 'excessive celebration'. But we don't have that in SL, so keep your cool and do it right back after driving up field and popping the one pointer over. Run up to him and celebrate even.

Joel looks a liability. He obviously wants to look after the smaller players - he used to pile in every time Sam had a to-do. I thought it was just because it was his bro - maybe not. He needs to learnt to keep calm - a bit of 'handbags' will usually do the trick if he wants to keep people away from his half backs.

Yeah I agree he had to go. It looked more clumsy than anything else but there was just too much in it.

Way to much emphasis on the ref.

It was a tough game to referee. Both teams extremely niggly and a lot of players did stupid mistakes. Child did average, but the game was very hard to referee.

Credit to Widnes they were superb, down to 12 men and missing their best player. Wigan should of won easily with the extra man and 10 points up. Needed more composure and looked a tad rusty.

Glad to see the greatest game is back, its been a tough few months.

Agree. Good noisy crowd. Down to the wire. Lively forum. Every minute counts.

It's one of those where you can see why the red is given but it seems harsh and coming off an introduction where it seemed that sin-binnings would be more of an option for refs in such situations I was surprised it wasn't used then.

Yes, but you just know there was a queue forming waiting to shout 'cop out' if Child had taken the new yellow card option for foul play.

I too thought the red card was a little harsh  but if you smack somebody clean around the chops you can't complain too much. Ah Van didn't, to his credit.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

went as usual and watched the game again on sky plus, firstly ah van should have got a yellow, it was not a deliberate shot at the head (unlike farrells) but wigan should have had 2 red cards one for smiths cowardly kick from behind on hanbury and one for brain dead joel for his attack on phelps, good to see that not much has changed from last season wigan are still a team of wannabe thugs. as for widnes, herremaia was outstanding and mellor stepped up to the plate to control the game in the second half, young dec hulme looked nervous and we definitely missed paddy flynn on that wing but i think special praise must go to liam carberry this kid looks a real prospect. in the past couple of weeks we have played both of last seasons grand finalists and IMO saints are by far the better team and will no doubt be there again at the end of the season.....

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

Yes, but you just know there was a queue forming waiting to shout 'cop out' if Child had taken the new yellow card option for foul play.

Well, yes.  That's why I'm not a referee and (even though I complain like heck) have nothing but respect for the people who are.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived