Sky takes The Open from the BBC

I'm personally not bothered but a lot of pensioners will be.

It seems to me that the BBC devotes more airtime to sport than it ever has previously and shows much less live sport than it ever has previously.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

I'm personally not bothered but a lot of pensioners will be.

It seems to me that the BBC devotes more airtime to sport than it ever has previously and shows much less live sport than it ever has previously.

What the current state of live sports coverage on TV looks like, although more events obviously will be added as the year progresses.

The BBC still have a fair bit, but have lost some of the bigger events. ITV's share (and variety) has grown over the last decade.

The BBC also use the red button for much of their live coverage on weekdays, often summing up on the following weekend with a highlights package. This week, the World Skiing Championships are on, as are other Winter sports.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

What the current state of live sports coverage on TV looks like, although more events obviously will be added as the year progresses.

The BBC still have a fair bit, but have lost some of the bigger events. ITV's share (and variety) has grown over the last decade.

The BBC also use the red button for much of their live coverage on weekdays, often summing up on the following weekend with a highlights package. This week, the World Skiing Championships are on, as are other Winter sports.

Only four days with rugby on all year? :dry:

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Only four days with rugby on all year? :dry:

Their RL listings are sketchy, aren't they? 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Well I miss FTA cricket, but I won't miss golf.  Apart from the fact that I hate the game, to me it just doesn't seem very televisual, a little ball flying through the air followed by men in ridiculous clothes carrying bags of sticks.  I've no doubt it's very skilful, just IMO not spectator friendly, squash comes into the same category.  You can't see what's happening. Perhaps it'll free up more of their sports budget for TGG!

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Perhaps it'll free up more of their sports budget for TGG!

This has happened just as the RU Six Nations are threatening to go to Sky. Guess where the money freed up by the loss of the British Open Golf will end up? Hint: not Rugby League.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Futtocks beat me to it but I was going to say it does free up a lot of funds for the beeb to hold onto the beloved Six Nations tournament, which I know will make many people on here very happy indeed :)

Maybe there was a chat in a golf club bar between a R&A old buffer and a RFU old fart, and they decided to maximise the wonga for both parties... ;) 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Well I miss FTA cricket, but I won't miss golf.  Apart from the fact that I hate the game, to me it just doesn't seem very televisual, a little ball flying through the air followed by men in ridiculous clothes carrying bags of sticks.  I've no doubt it's very skilful, just IMO not spectator friendly, squash comes into the same category.  You can't see what's happening. Perhaps it'll free up more of their sports budget for TGG!

A good summation. I feel the same thing applies to ice hockey, which I really want to like but playing with basically a tic-tac makes it very difficult to see what's going on.

Squash is very spectator friendly. Technology now allows for good visuals. 

A good summation. I feel the same thing applies to ice hockey, which I really want to like but playing with basically a tic-tac makes it very difficult to see what's going on.

It takes about three or four live games to be able to enjoy ice hockey. I guess the brain learns to anticipate the action and then it's easy to see the puck.

This them translates to the TV.

I haven't been for about a year now. Be interesting to see if I've lost it.

Sorry for going off topic!

Futtocks beat me to it but I was going to say it does free up a lot of funds for the beeb to hold onto the beloved Six Nations tournament, which I know will make many people on here very happy indeed :)

At least if Sky did get the 6 nations maybe they would insist on that and Super League not launching on the same weekend every bloody year

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

There was some R&A spokesman on Radio 4, claiming that the BBC didn't really give Golf any decent coverage and it was rarely mentioned by them in sports reports. I'm not entirely sure which planet he was speaking from.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

There was some R&A spokesman on Radio 4, claiming that the BBC didn't really give Golf any decent coverage and it was rarely mentioned by them in sports reports. I'm not entirely sure which planet he was speaking from.

Did he use the word sinister at all? :dry:

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

If they played loud music squash would look like a dance off.

Peter Dawson, Chief Exec of the R&A - a smooth operator.

He's also a follower of Edinburgh Eagles.

Even if they played loud music, squash would be a doze off.

Squash is one of those sports whose skill and fitness I can appreciate very highly, but which I find a very poor spectator sport.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I thought  the Open had to be shown on free to air tv.Apparently not, they must have scrapped the crown jewel list.

The British Open is on the 'B' list, not the 'A' list. In fact, I'm surprised to find that there is no Golf on the 'A' list, considering the station's obsession with the sport being only second behind Rugby Union.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

The British Open is on the 'B' list, not the 'A' list. In fact, I'm surprised to find that there is no Golf on the 'A' list, considering the station's obsession with the sport being only second behind Rugby Union.

How the eck did it manage that?

Oh, I forgot the servile attitude some sports enjoy.

• 3 weeks later...

Hurrah what a waste of time.

lets hope this also includes raio 5 live. There is nothing worse than nick campbell at 6.30am talking in hushed tones as the first one tees off.

Archived