Looking for ways to bring in rugby league to an American school

I’m a yank training to be a teacher, but my family is from Australia so I have I had the benefit of growing up with sports like league for most of my life. I’m looking to bring in rugby league as a recreational activity to the school I am currently student teaching at. This may come in the form of a club or a class activity etc., nothing has been decided yet. The question I have is how best to give these students an understanding of league when they have zero familiarity with it at all. Some of them might be semi-familiar with union, but I really doubt they have any understanding of rugby in any form.

I’ve been looking at the touch footy rules (from the NRL) as a starting point to give the students some experience with league, but if anyone had any other suggestions that would be great!

Thanks.

Just a thought but have you contacted the Jacksonville Axemen? http://www.jaxaxe.com/I am sure they have a Youth Rugby League Programme in operation and might be able to offer advice on how to teach Americans RL who have no or little idea of Rugby League. Maybe there are some comparisons with American Football or something that may help.

Archived