Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
thewords18

Looking for ways to bring in rugby league to an American school

I’m a yank training to be a teacher, but my family is from Australia so I have I had the benefit of growing up with sports like league for most of my life. I’m looking to bring in rugby league as a recreational activity to the school I am currently student teaching at. This may come in the form of a club or a class activity etc., nothing has been decided yet. The question I have is how best to give these students an understanding of league when they have zero familiarity with it at all. Some of them might be semi-familiar with union, but I really doubt they have any understanding of rugby in any form.

I’ve been looking at the touch footy rules (from the NRL) as a starting point to give the students some experience with league, but if anyone had any other suggestions that would be great!

Thanks.

Just a thought but have you contacted the Jacksonville Axemen? http://www.jaxaxe.com/I am sure they have a Youth Rugby League Programme in operation and might be able to offer advice on how to teach Americans RL who have no or little idea of Rugby League. Maybe there are some comparisons with American Football or something that may help.

If you aren't already aware the USARL is mainly based in the east and south east of America. You could try and contact them to see if they can offer any assistance or put you in touch with someone.

http://www.usarl.com/

Contact details are in the bottom right hand corner. Best of luck.

Edited by deluded pom?

rldfsignature.jpg

Skill first. Touch or tag with smaller teams on a smaller pitch. I've read suggestions before that you should play no more than 11 a side on an American football field.

Thanks so much for all the advice. I was aware that USARL was based on the east coast and in the south, but I will get in touch with them. Also thanks for the suggestions about touch, definitely helps put everything into context.

Look into Oztag/tag RL too, which is basically the equivalent of flag football.  It's often more useful and fun than simple touch.