Heirlooms, Collectors Items and Treasured Possessions

What ya got?

Obviously a lot of mine has a swing towards Rugby League with Bradford items from the 40's, personal family items that mean the world to me etc.

Whilst on hols in Florida circa 1991 unable to go on rides that I wanted due to annoying 11 year old running around Disneyworld get autographs, the only real pastime that gave me any joy was going around the trading card and sports stalls. A lucky dip baseball card bin took my eye and lo and behold I won the star prize, a Jim Palmer {who} 1968 baseball card. After the odd swear word from the stall holder I took my star possession back and went on the look out for the value of this item for the rest of the holiday. To my amazement my $1 "investment" was now worth $40!!

It has been wrapped securely in the loft for some 23 years so whilst selling some clutter in the loft I decided to check out it's value. Looking on the internet I nearly fell of the chair when the price for a 1969 Jim Palmer card was $3500!!!!!!!!!

Alas when looking closer my 1968 card was worth $45! Well can't have it all can I.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

I am nervous about owning 'collectables', as I fear they will have an accident of some sort, especially with my luck.

I have a small watch collection, but they are all selected because I like the look of them and were all reasonably priced - a vintage Patek, Vacheron or Panerai would be wonderful to own, but I would be permanently terrified about ever wearing it outside the house.

With LPs, I avoid rare pressings, so the only one of those I have that would command decent money is The Nits' first album, which usually goes for somewhere between £100 and £200 when one comes on the market.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Witnessed an absolute classic on Saturday.Whilst at the workshops of the Bloodhound SSC project,a man bought a diecast replica of the car,got the box signed by Richard Noble and the complete engineering team,then proceeded to take the car out of the box and give it to his grandchild to play with. :roulette:

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

Witnessed an absolute classic on Saturday.Whilst at the workshops of the Bloodhound SSC project,a man bought a diecast replica of the car,got the box signed by Richard Noble and the complete engineering team,then proceeded to take the car out of the box and give it to his grandchild to play with. :roulette:

Well done to him! Toys are to be played with, not joylessly preserved.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

We`ve got my great granddad`s black, suede top hat that he wore as an undertaker. Still in it`s original box.

It was the family business in the 1920`s, unfortunately it went bust as no one could afford to pay for a funeral.

Have a nice collection of Doris Day :maninlove: memorabilia, including the signed photo she sent me for my birthday last year.

My prize possession was a signed Madness LP that I got many years ago. Lent it to a Kiwi mate of mine and never got it back. A Grey Day.

• 4 weeks later...

One of Bradford's treasured possessions is being restored.

TBH, as a relative newcomer of only forty years standing, I don't have as much affection for it as most natural-born Bradfordians. Still, it will be a great addition to the city when restored and functional.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/video/news/bradford-odeon-live-4088697373001

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

It'll be a good-sized venue and I hope it'll be a success.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

A bottle of "Humber Bridge beer", brewed to celebrate it's 1981 opening. Not sure what it'll taste like though. A coveted Hull FC first team shirt with the number 13 on it that I won in a RL quiz. It was Gary Divorty's but it's from the days when shirts were made to last so I'm sure my all time RL hero wore it once.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

One of Bradford's treasured possessions is being restored.

TBH, as a relative newcomer of only forty years standing, I don't have as much affection for it as most natural-born Bradfordians. Still, it will be a great addition to the city when restored and functional.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/video/news/bradford-odeon-live-4088697373001

For ten years the council told us the building was beyond repair and would have to be demolished. Lying b*stards.

I was there the last time the Rolling Stones played the Odeon (Gaumont I think it was called at the time) so I hope Lee Craven gets his wish.

And when they found our shadows

Grouped around the TV sets

They ran down every lead

They repeated every test

They checked out all the data on their lists

And then the alien anthropologists

Admitted they were still perplexed

But on eliminating every other reason

For our sad demise

They logged the only explanation left

This species has amused itself to death

No tears to cry no feelings left

This species has amused itself to death

For ten years the council told us the building was beyond repair and would have to be demolished. Lying b*stards.

I was there the last time the Rolling Stones played the Odeon (Gaumont I think it was called at the time) so I hope Lee Craven gets his wish.

If the Stones were willing to open the new venue, that would be brilliant.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

If the Stones were willing to open the new venue, that would be brilliant.

The Beatles played there as well.

If the Beatles were willing to open the new venue, that too would be brilliant.

;)

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

The Beatles played there as well.

If the Beatles were willing to open the new venue, that too would be brilliant.

;)

Have you heard some of Macca's performances in recent years?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

May I ask what   you were doing there. Some years ago  we made a video about Bloodhound for one of their technology partners/sponsors

Archived