TRL Helpdesk - Ankle/Foot Injury

Hoping for a bit of help on an possible Ankle/Foot injury that has developed recently

In short, I'm finding it difficult to turn sharply left when running (not right angles, more like running the bend on a track), but ok when turning right. Just don't seem to be able to get the traction to do so and find I'm limping a bit. This is at a fairly high pace, not slow jogging.

I'm not a member of a sports club so don't have instant access to a physio. Any ideas/advice in advance of getting in to see a physio?

Thanks for any help

A physio is only as good as their reputation.  Where do you live?  To get quick access to one usually involves forking out cash but you rarely have to pay that much.

Sounds fairly specific so you need a proper opinion, not an internet one

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Can you identify where it hurts a bit more precisely (e.g by feeling along your ankle ligaments?) Is it your ankle, your calf, your foot, achilles or what? A limp & loss of power without any painful spot would be uncommon.

General rule in running is if it hurts in one leg and not the other, then it's an injury. Most running injuries will be repaired by rest, but may need something additional to prevent re-occurence. Nearly all running injuries are made worse by running through the pain. So my advice would be to not do anything that hurts.

I  went for a year with pain in my heels, due to siezed-up achilles tendons. It started with just one heel and rapidly spread to the other. I was told that it was because I had always walked (and more importantly ran) with an imperfect gait.

I was told to buy some cushioned-heel inserts for my shoes ... they helped ... and to ask the doctor for some acupuncture. Acupuncture worked, though I still get the odd twinge.

The Inserts are called heel-cups and are actually suppled by a firm called Trycare based in my own village of Clayton in Bradford.

http://www.trycare.co.uk/trycarechiropody/products/167591/podotech-sgel-heel-cup.aspx

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Agree with CKN. Get yourself down to a decent Sports

Injury physio. Pay £40 to £50 for initial consultation maybe, plus a bit extra for and ultrasound scan, then £35 £45 pers session. I had rotator cuff/frozen shoulder issues after years of cycling. the physio I paid saved me painful injections and possible surgery.

Aye agree I need to get to a physio to sort it out

The 'injury' isn't too painful (about a 3 or 4 on a scale up to 10) but it just physically stops me being able to run around a left hand curve at any speed. I think its possibly that the foot/leg/knee alignment just isn't able to put itself in the correct position to do so

Just hope it isn't arthritis or something permanent

Thanks for replies

Archived