Batley V Workington

BatleyFanAndy

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After Workington's Carter was injured (and therefore was not at his best) he was switched to the other wing for the second half and still Squires scored down their right flank. On this showing from Workington Dewsbury should encounter few problems next week, BUT (there's always one!) according to their supporters, they play expansive rugby at home; saw none of that today.

I thought Stokes favoured Batley (or perhaps their misdemeanours were seen in a different light); he sin binned Oldstrum (I think it was he) for something that was not that bad, but he failed to see the head high tackle on the Worky player which put that lad out of the game with the Batley player substituted immediately after the offence.

The attendance given in Sporting Life astounds me. It says 1200 were there; I would reckon half that at best!

In fairness to Batley, they took their chances well with Squires outstanding and scoring three tries uphill, albeit from a short distance. The first was from a kick and chase; he grabbed the ball in the air while the Worky full back wad waiting for it to sit in his arms. The second was from his own kick and collect (it was good) and the third, he stopped close to the touch line, the Town winger held off and Squires then carried on. His fourth was in the dim and distant far corner from where I was standing. I think by the time Craven (he wasn't bad today was he) made the break for breather ton to score, Town had had it.

Their fans want to know why so many Batley supporters leave early, VERY early; I think it was 18-6 when they started disappearing.

I think you mistook leaving early for people using all four sides of the ground and some making there way towards the dressing room corner to applaude the players off the pitch? You seem a little dismissive of the team and our convincing win over Wiganton Town. I am already looking forward to your match comments following your trip to Worky

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

My first impressions before todays match was I would be happy for a win, I will not change that at all.

Regarding that injury to the Workington player, if the ref had pulled Workington up for the obstruction then that would not have occurred as it was the next play, but being the nature of the game things will happen and officials will make mistakes, overall it was a good match and bodes well for both teams.

Cheers Roger.

After Workington's Carter was injured (and therefore was not at his best) he was switched to the other wing for the second half and still Squires scored down their right flank. On this showing from Workington Dewsbury should encounter few problems next week, BUT (there's always one!) according to their supporters, they play expansive rugby at home; saw none of that today.

I thought Stokes favoured Batley (or perhaps their misdemeanours were seen in a different light); he sin binned Oldstrum (I think it was he) for something that was not that bad, but he failed to see the head high tackle on the Worky player which put that lad out of the game with the Batley player substituted immediately after the offence.

The attendance given in Sporting Life astounds me. It says 1200 were there; I would reckon half that at best!

In fairness to Batley, they took their chances well with Squires outstanding and scoring three tries uphill, albeit from a short distance. The first was from a kick and chase; he grabbed the ball in the air while the Worky full back wad waiting for it to sit in his arms. The second was from his own kick and collect (it was good) and the third, he stopped close to the touch line, the Town winger held off and Squires then carried on. His fourth was in the dim and distant far corner from where I was standing. I think by the time Craven (he wasn't bad today was he) made the break for breather ton to score, Town had had it.

Their fans want to know why so many Batley supporters leave early, VERY early; I think it was 18-6 when they started disappearing.

Incidentally, a friend of mine who attended your game on Friday evening was absolutely astounded when a gate of 1300 was announced. He figured 750-800.

So yah boo sucks.

r02c.gif

Yep his gaff over Ainscough's ligit ball steal and try was class after waving play on :lol:

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

Incidentally, a friend of mine who attended your game on Friday evening was absolutely astounded when a gate of 1300 was announced. He figured 750-800.

So yah boo sucks.

What next years SL champions pulling in less than 10,000 I am shocked!!

Well worth a 450 mile round trip!

Thought the defence was very good, still maybe too much one man forward drives, Squires took his tries exceptionally well, especially the second, no real weak links, Craven played well despite the pre season criticisms, Brown and Lillycrop look good signings. Have seen far worse refs, though I thought he definitely got Ainscoughs one on one steal wrong.

And on the way up on Saturday saw the Boocock's Bulldogs truck just south of Grantham on the A1 still looking very smart. Just a pity we can' t update the Ben Black and Danny Maun photos!!

Why on earth have we got the match highlights of a game between two teams, neither of whom are Batley, in a match played a couple of days ago, on a thread about today's match? 

Same reason there are Batley supporters posting on the Rams forum. Freedom of movement and all that...

Tom

Same reason there are Batley supporters posting on the Rams forum. Freedom of movement and all that...

But what does it contribute to the thread?

Thanks for the comment about freedom of movement and all that, if you hadn't mentioned that l would have forgot about the forum rules, freedom of expression and living in a free and welcoming society! 

We are so lucky to have you amongst us!

But what does it contribute to the thread?

Thanks for the comment about freedom of movement and all that, if you hadn't mentioned that l would have forgot about the forum rules, freedom of expression and living in a free and welcoming society! 

We are so lucky to have you amongst us!

Blimey! Sorry...

If you want to start analysing and disqualifying posts in terms of what they contribute to a thread then good luck! You might be here a while.

Tom

Blimey! Sorry...

If you want to start analysing and disqualifying posts in terms of what they contribute to a thread then good luck! You might be here a while.

OK, l apologise for being a bit stroppy, genuinely l do. However, l really would still like to question what on earth the highlights are doing on here. They were posted on this thread before they went onto your own forum. Why? What does that action, and that particular post add to the thread?

I found the suggestion that we'd over-announced our attendance a little surprising, so the video was posted as evidence. Hope that's OK!

How? Do we pause the video at strategic times and take a head count? That particular issue of over announcing crowds is often discussed on forums. Why do you take particular offence at it? 

Well done on your win today. I thought you defended very well and played  good controlled rugby, kicking game was good and Squires was excellent.

Did you sign him from the amateur game?

I was disappointed with our performance but we'll get better. Only Brett Philips (11) and Jack Murphy (1) had good games for us. 

Always have been always will be the pride of West Cumbria!

I found the suggestion that we'd over-announced our attendance a little surprising, so the video was posted as evidence. Hope that's OK!

and how do we stop the video and count the number of supporters at the camera side of the ground ?.....or was the near side seated stand empty ?

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" ....Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865..

Archived