Batley V Workington

BatleyFanAndy

After Workington's Carter was injured (and therefore was not at his best) he was switched to the other wing for the second half and still Squires scored down their right flank. On this showing from Workington Dewsbury should encounter few problems next week, BUT (there's always one!) according to their supporters, they play expansive rugby at home; saw none of that today.

I thought Stokes favoured Batley (or perhaps their misdemeanours were seen in a different light); he sin binned Oldstrum (I think it was he) for something that was not that bad, but he failed to see the head high tackle on the Worky player which put that lad out of the game with the Batley player substituted immediately after the offence.

The attendance given in Sporting Life astounds me. It says 1200 were there; I would reckon half that at best!

In fairness to Batley, they took their chances well with Squires outstanding and scoring three tries uphill, albeit from a short distance. The first was from a kick and chase; he grabbed the ball in the air while the Worky full back wad waiting for it to sit in his arms. The second was from his own kick and collect (it was good) and the third, he stopped close to the touch line, the Town winger held off and Squires then carried on. His fourth was in the dim and distant far corner from where I was standing. I think by the time Craven (he wasn't bad today was he) made the break for breather ton to score, Town had had it.

Their fans want to know why so many Batley supporters leave early, VERY early; I think it was 18-6 when they started disappearing.

the james brown tackle nothing wrong with it he was going down and he milked it also tried getting a free sub but no chance george stokes even said it wasn't worth a card

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, l apologise for being a bit stroppy, genuinely l do. However, l really would still like to question what on earth the highlights are doing on here. They were posted on this thread before they went onto your own forum. Why? What does that action, and that particular post add to the thread?

How? Do we pause the video at strategic times and take a head count? That particular issue of over announcing crowds is often discussed on forums. Why do you take particular offence at it? 

and how do we stop the video and count the number of supporters at the camera side of the ground ?.....or was the near side seated stand empty ?

OK, OK - truce!

I didn't take offence, I was just genuinely surprised by the comment that there were less there, because most of the talk in the bar after the game was that there was actually probably close to 1,500 there! Plus we'd worked hard to promote that game and were pleased with the result, so it was discouraging to read Terminator's post (and I was actually passed the figure by the chairman to announce over the PA, so there definitely wasn't a miscommunication!).

I thought the video would at least give an indication of how busy the ground was. Maybe it didn't. Sorry for subjecting you to Dewsbury highlights!

Your attendance of 801 is well up on the 559 for the equivalent fixture for last year, so well done to the club's marketing volunteers!

I hope both clubs get the crowds they deserve in 2015. It's pleasing that we both appear to be heading in the right direction in this respect.

Tom

OK, OK - truce!

I didn't take offence, I was just genuinely surprised by the comment that there were less there, because most of the talk in the bar after the game was that there was actually probably close to 1,500 there! Plus we'd worked hard to promote that game and were pleased with the result, so it was discouraging to read Terminator's post (and I was actually passed the figure by the chairman to announce over the PA, so there definitely wasn't a miscommunication!).

I thought the video would at least give an indication of how busy the ground was. Maybe it didn't. Sorry for subjecting you to Dewsbury highlights!

Your attendance of 801 is well up on the 559 for the equivalent fixture for last year, so well done to the club's marketing volunteers!

I hope both clubs get the crowds they deserve in 2015. It's pleasing that we both appear to be heading in the right direction in this respect.

l couldn't agree more with your final statement.

If all clubs announced "official" attendances there wouldn't be any need for others to make "guesstimates".     Too many match reports give attendances as "estimated".

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

Facts and figures on the first match day of the Championships, including all results, the very first table, Batley player statistics and not to forget the video. Click on the (report) link to view reports and pics from Social Media

http://bulldogs.supertyke.net/overview/

After Workington's Carter was injured (and therefore was not at his best) he was switched to the other wing for the second half and still Squires scored down their right flank. On this showing from Workington Dewsbury should encounter few problems next week, BUT (there's always one!) according to their supporters, they play expansive rugby at home; saw none of that today.

I thought Stokes favoured Batley (or perhaps their misdemeanours were seen in a different light); he sin binned Oldstrum (I think it was he) for something that was not that bad, but he failed to see the head high tackle on the Worky player which put that lad out of the game with the Batley player substituted immediately after the offence.

The attendance given in Sporting Life astounds me. It says 1200 were there; I would reckon half that at best!

In fairness to Batley, they took their chances well with Squires outstanding and scoring three tries uphill, albeit from a short distance. The first was from a kick and chase; he grabbed the ball in the air while the Worky full back wad waiting for it to sit in his arms. The second was from his own kick and collect (it was good) and the third, he stopped close to the touch line, the Town winger held off and Squires then carried on. His fourth was in the dim and distant far corner from where I was standing. I think by the time Craven (he wasn't bad today was he) made the break for breather ton to score, Town had had it.

Their fans want to know why so many Batley supporters leave early, VERY early; I think it was 18-6 when they started disappearing.

What a load of drivel you write. The penalty count was 9 -9.   As for the alleged foul by Brown, the Workington player was already going down when he caught him. As for fans leaving early you must have had too much of the amber nector. The crowd was over 800 so wrong on that one too. Maybe a visit to specsavers is in order.

l would not be so crass as to post a link to the match highlights of one of our games on your forum, but l would suggest having a look at Squires' tries on there, as they are different from your description. The second in particular being a classy piece of centre play, and not from his own, or anyone else's kick!

Incidentally, a friend of mine who attended your game on Friday evening was absolutely astounded when a gate of 1300 was announced. He figured 750-800.

So yah boo sucks.

So how did he work our there was 750-800 there Friday

He imagined a big batley home crowd

And just doubled it ;)

Just out of interest, at 7.10 on the highlights, l would like to know some people's thought on the ball steal on Murphy. Murphy dived at Ainscough's feet to regather the ball, and stayed there. No-one made an attempt to tackle him, and Ainscough took the ball from him and scored. Stokes initially waved play on, but then called him back after he had scored! 

Just out of interest, at 7.10 on the highlights, l would like to know some people's thought on the ball steal on Murphy. Murphy dived at Ainscough's feet to regather the ball, and stayed there. No-one made an attempt to tackle him, and Ainscough took the ball from him and scored. Stokes initially waved play on, but then called him back after he had scored! 

ref seemed to overule himself.. :pickeat: but it were a nice one on one ball steal off murphy and a cracking try.touchie seemed to be going to give it then mr laughtons love child had a rethink. even the fella whos in charge of the refs were shaking his head as to the total cobblers of some great rugby, cracking game thou,cant wait to see some of our pacey lads have a run out on that nice lush wide slsv stadium come sunday..

Our Batley supporting superleague ref was stood next to us and said right call. If someone is on the floor as soon a he is touched its tackle complete. Very harsh as the worky player surrendered but right to the letter of the law

but he dident tackle him he nicked the ball one on one without even trying to tackle him,he knew just what he was doing and try should a stood.

Our Batley supporting superleague ref was stood next to us and said right call. If someone is on the floor as soon a he is touched its tackle complete. Very harsh as the worky player surrendered but right to the letter of the law

Correct, despite the preferences of many fans, when you are on the floor if anyone lays a hand on you then you are tackled. The interpretation of voluntary tackles has ben left wanting for over a decade now, to the extent that it has virtually left the referees' lexicon.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

After looking at the highlights I must agree Shaun's legs where against Murphy's back, then he grappled him for the ball, so the ref was right, that's after seeing the video and from where I was stood in front of the incident on the bottom terracing. 

Cheers Roger.

Correct, despite the preferences of many fans, when you are on the floor if anyone lays a hand on you then you are tackled. The interpretation of voluntary tackles has ben left wanting for over a decade now, to the extent that it has virtually left the referees' lexicon.

??how can tackle be complete if he aint touched the player,he nicked the ball clean,he dident even get on floor he picked the ball off him and ran..if he had touched him or dropped on top of him i could understand pulling him back,the man in the middle who were not far off waved play on,glad it dident mean a lot in the game but it could a done.

After looking at the highlights I must agree Shaun's legs where against Murphy's back, then he grappled him for the ball, so the ref was right, that's after seeing the video and from where I was stood in front of the incident on the bottom terracing. 

Cheers Roger.

have another look,shaun were stood and murphy dives on ball and slide a couple a foot into shaun, a players not tackled until hes tackled or we would be playing touch n pass.dont matter now like but it could a been for a place in a semi that decision..

Let it go lads. There will be some ###### decisions throughout the season as we all know! Some will go against us, some for us.

I thought Ainscough was a tad unlucky to be penalised, but at the same time IMO Craven's pass to Brev for our last try looked slightly forward!

More often than not it evens itself up.

My view was as Stokes waved play on and the Workington player made no effort to regain his feet the ball steal was legal and a try should have been given.

Voluntary tackle 4. A player in possession shall not deliberately and unnecessarily allow himself to be tackled by voluntarily falling to the ground when not held by an opponent. If a player drops on a loose ball he shall not remain on the ground waiting to be tackled if he has time to regain his feet and continue play.

Archived