RL in York

The old York and District Sunday League is an interesting one, it included at various times two Scarborough clubs, Teesside Steelers, Benfield Lions (from Newcastle), Sunderland and possibly others (not sure if Gateshead Panthers originated then or lated). I think the straw that broke the camel's back was the North East forming its own league, although ironically when that league struggled Teesside Steelers and Gateshead Panthers joined the Yorkshire League.

Whatever happened to Teesside Steelers? I seem to remember them winning the Harry Jepson trophy and then packing in. Seemed a bit odd. Old squad, no youngsters?

They came 2nd in National League 3 the season after that then folded (Gateshead Storm took their spot in National League 3). Apparently they started bringing in winter players from the heartlands after switching to summer and it proved unsustainable (travel costs alone would have been a nightmare)

Slightly off topic but the (I think first) North East league season in 1995-96 featured Forth and Clyde Nomads, the first ever Scottish club.

There is plans for a satellite club scheme to be launced in York, plans are in the pipe line at the minute basically it's and Sport England / RFL funded scheme to fund local clubs going on to schools, at the minute our club are doing off our own back but the scheme and funding will help massively.

Archived