Can you believe what you read in the papers?

Why I have resigned from the Telegraph
Peter Oborne 17 February 2015

The coverage of HSBC in Britain's Daily Telegraph is a fraud on its readers. If major newspapers allow corporations to influence their content for fear of losing advertising revenue, democracy itself is in peril.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/ourkingdom/peter-oborne/why-i-have-resigned-from-telegraph

'You needed a microscope to find the Telegraph coverage: nothing on Monday, six slim paragraphs at the bottom left of page two on Tuesday, seven paragraphs deep in the business pages on Wednesday. The Telegraph’s reporting only looked up when the story turned into claims that there might be questions about the tax affairs of people connected to the Labour party.'

And this from last week, of course, in which the desperation to vilify the Labour party and Ed Miliband eclipsed any effort to check or print facts.

'Milly Dowler' Row Could Be The Moment The Westminster Bubble Finally Lost It

Conservatives are calling for Ed Miliband's head of press to resign over comments about the murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler, that were actually made by BBC Political Editor Nick Robinson.
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/02/13/milly-dowler-row-over-mil_n_6676728.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

The coverage of HSBC in Britain's Daily Telegraph is a fraud on its readers. If major newspapers allow corporations to influence their content for fear of losing advertising revenue, democracy itself is in peril.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/ourkingdom/peter-oborne/why-i-have-resigned-from-telegraph

'You needed a microscope to find the Telegraph coverage: nothing on Monday, six slim paragraphs at the bottom left of page two on Tuesday, seven paragraphs deep in the business pages on Wednesday. The Telegraph’s reporting only looked up when the story turned into claims that there might be questions about the tax affairs of people connected to the Labour party.'

Six paragraphs on Tuesday, seven on Wednesday? In the Telegraph? Rugby League should be so lucky!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Six paragraphs on Tuesday, seven on Wednesday? In the Telegraph? Rugby League should be so lucky!

Depends on if it makes rugby league look bad or not.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

And this from last week, of course, in which the desperation to vilify the Labour party and Ed Miliband eclipsed any effort to check or print facts.

'Milly Dowler' Row Could Be The Moment The Westminster Bubble Finally Lost It

Conservatives are calling for Ed Miliband's head of press to resign over comments about the murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler, that were actually made by BBC Political Editor Nick Robinson.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/02/13/milly-dowler-row-over-mil_n_6676728.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

I've already commented on both of these in the General Election 2015 thread. I read somewhere that the "weaponize the NHS" phrase also originated from Nick Robinson. 

The Peter Oborne thing could be interesting as he could reveal more of what may be a worrying connection between certain businesses and the papers and how they can influence editorial content.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

This is actually a massive story and I fully expect JohnM to be along in a moment to put something in italics about the Guardian's tax affairs or the free press in a randomly selected European country.

Anyone who's read Private Eye knows that there are certain influences that go on.  Newspapers rarely criticise each other's financial and working practices for example.  Proprietors will not run stories that damage themselves or their friends.  This goes far, far beyond that.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Can you believe what you read in the papers? That's a difficult metaphysical question for the forum.

Say, for example, the answer to the question is "no".  What then is there to say about the account of this story in The Guardian, since it cannot by definition be believed. And if you can't believe what you read in the papers, why believe - and I pick an example at random here -  The Grauniad denials of tax avoidance?

However, if you do believe what you read in the papers, then you have to believe both what Osborne says and what The Torygraph says., all at the same time. 

Of course, in the real world, you tend to believe what you read in the papers when it supports your views and you tend to disbelieve it when it doesn't. e.g. The Osborne story. 

Of course, if this story from the altruistic Mr Osborne really is true, then its an absolute disgrace and merits the interest it has generated. However, if it is the rantings of a journo scorned, or one using the Fourth Estate to pursue a personal vendetta, well, that is a disgrace too.

PS, although I too buy and read Private Eye, I do not believe everything it reports.

Has anyone read Osborne's bio on Wikipedia? really worth a read. He's very angry!

Osborne? He's completely disappeared from view since the HSBC allegations. Some chancellor he is. :rolleyes:

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Depends on if it makes rugby league look bad or not.

I never realised there could be a choice...

Back on topic, Oborne was on Radio 5 today, being interviewed about this. It was only one side of the story, but he still sounded very aggrieved, and most people know the Barclay brothers aren't going to go public in an interview..

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sounds about right.  Oborne is yer archetypal "angry man"  and the Barclays certainly seem controlling, mean and vindictive.

Maybe though the topic title could be re-interpreted as "Can you believe what you don't read in the papers?" as its a complaint about omission.

Clearly, you haven't read it, then.  see THIS bit? 

Good. But what's that got to do with a missing chancellor of the exchequer and the HSBC tax evasion allegations?

Newspapers rarely criticise each other's financial and working practices for example.  Proprietors will not run stories that damage themselves or their friends. 

Too true, the Spenborough Guardian never said anything bad about John Holmes, despite him playing for Leeds.

To be fair, he was a good bloke. But they could have made something up.

http://www.spenboroughguardian.co.uk/news/local/rugby-league-legend-dies-aged-57-1-1461855

;)

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

I used to live next door to Malcolm Richardson, one of the sports editors of the Hull Daily Mail. About 15 years ago he showed me the previous day's paper with a full page spread about a former Hull FC player who had died. There were lots of tributes from former team mates about what a top player and, indeed, a good person he was. 

I was reasonably interested but, as the player concerned played before I was born and I hadn't heard of him, I asked Malcolm why he'd bothered showing me the article.

He replied "He phoned us up this morning to thank us for the kind words...".

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Are the days of the print media's influence numbered? As someone pointed out on Twitter yesterday on John Cleese's comments regarding the Oborne/ Telegraph issue, John Cleese has two and a half times the number of followers than the S*n has readers.

Are the days of the print media's influence numbered? As someone pointed out on Twitter yesterday on John Cleese's comments regarding the Oborne/ Telegraph issue, John Cleese has two and a half times the number of followers than the S*n has readers.

I just about trust the newspapers ahead of Buzzfeed and Tumblr links.

That said, for certain things, there are some bloggers I'll read ahead of the papers - even if I then follow their links to see if they're s****ing me.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I just about trust the newspapers ahead of Buzzfeed and Tumblr links.

That said, for certain things, there are some bloggers I'll read ahead of the papers - even if I then follow their links to see if they're s****ing me.

I agree. I think what I was trying (clumsily) to say is that with the advent of social media it is easier  to challenge/corroborate stories covered in the print media. It still requires some discretion though to put together a number of sources to distil, hopefully, the bigger and, even more hopefully, more accurate picture. 

The press has been focussing on Russian aggression in Ukraine this week, to coincide with a Tory scaremongering offensive with regard to a potential Russian invasion of the Baltic States.

Then those photos of Russian planes supposedly in British airspace. Funny how we never admit to entering their airspace.

To target women who don't usually follow politics, on Sky News today, they were reckoning Putin has had a recent facelift.

Next week, they'll probably reckon he has been secretly organising attacks on synagogues, supplying Syria with nuclear weapons and providing boats to ship immigrants into Europe from Libya. And probably only has a bath once a fortnight.

We get the news the Government wants us to get.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

We get the news the Government wants us to get.

In my experience, it is the complete opposite at times. Hardly anything we attempted to get the media to print on HERRICK 12 ever appeared in the press as they are very much focused on news which sells papers or gets ratings and that usual involves bad news. We had a bit more luck in the South Atlantic but ironically that was in the South American press, not here at home.

Interestingly, I was at the Directorate of Defence Communications yesterday (can't speak for other government organisations but imagine it would be similar) and they are constantly having to firefight and repute what at times are mistruths or blatant lies in the press. We even had a case of a journalist publishing the British invasion plans for Iraq 2 days before 3 Cdo Bde crossed the border alerting the Iraqis on the Al-Faw of our intent.

Now that is just my own personal experience and I have no doubt you'll shoot me down! :) I have no doubts the Murdoch empire and other publications align themselves with certain people and parties when they see fit but the media do pick and choose what and who they want to support rather than just being a mouthpiece for government. But to answer the original question posed by JD, I wouldn't trust the media with a barge pole as my experiences tend to make me think they tell plenty of mistruths.

For what it is worth ref Russia, they are flexing their muscles in the North Atlantic region presently and the Baltic states are sh**ting themselves at the moment; it isn't scaremongering and it'll be interesting to see what pans out in the near future... 

Archived