25 Years Ago

The greatest upset in heavyweight boxing as "Quitter" Buster Douglas knocked out Iron Mike Tyson.

I remember it like it was yesterday,all my mates round to watch it(as at the time we had sky they didnt)some had fallen a sleep,wife had gone to bed bored with the lot of us,I taped it,still got it somewhere,took it to the boozer that Sunday afternoon,place was packed,everyone in disbelief at what followed.

For me a big boxing fan it was an incredible fight with a bit of contraversy thrown in,

Sadly Buster seemed to take the money and run in his next fight and never got the recognition his performance that night deserved,

5 live have interviewed BD for his thoughts if anyone is interested,worth a listen

A link to the interview might be nice!

I didn't see that fight, but remember reading about it the next day with a feeling of disbelief. Tyson had cleaned house in the heavyweight division, disposing of some seriously fat-bottomed girls who had been clinging onto titles they no longer deserved.

He was a good test of quality - the blubbery Tony Tubbs wilted fast, while the tough and wily Tony Tucker made him work all the way. The best fighters survived the Tyson era, and the majority didn't.

Now the division is alphabetti-spaghetti and any bum with an influential backer can hold his title for a few years. And they wonder why UFC has gained in popularity.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

A link to the interview might be nice!

I didn't see that fight, but remember reading about it the next day with a feeling of disbelief. Tyson had cleaned house in the heavyweight division, disposing of some seriously fat-bottomed girls who had been clinging onto titles they no longer deserved.

He was a good test of quality - the blubbery Tony Tubbs wilted fast, while the tough and wily Tony Tucker made him work all the way. The best fighters survived the Tyson era, and the majority didn't.

Now the division is alphabetti-spaghetti and any bum with an influential backer can hold his title for a few years. And they wonder why UFC has gained in popularity.

Sorry cant do links but i'm sure the Beeb will have it somewhere

As for who Tyson fought TNT Tucker gave him a good go especially after breaking a hand early in the fight,Bone Crusher Smith was difficult and Razor Ruddock in the 2nd fight gave it a go but a lot of fighters were beaten by fear Spinks,Berbick,Frazier,Tillman and Stewart spring to mind.

As for the heavyweight scene now Vlad Klitch has sewn up the division but his style is pretty boring,but effective sadly no one has really caught him clean for along time as i still think he has a bit of a glass jaw,as the late Corey Saunders proved

Sadly Buster seemed to take the money and run in his next fight

Hmmm, no hoper beats the world's most famous boxer. No hoper upsets the boxing establishment's multi-million dollar gravy train.

Would anyone be surprised if he was advised that it was in his best interests to take the money and run in his next fight?

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Sorry cant do links but i'm sure the Beeb will have it somewhere

As for who Tyson fought TNT Tucker gave him a good go especially after breaking a hand early in the fight,Bone Crusher Smith was difficult and Razor Ruddock in the 2nd fight gave it a go but a lot of fighters were beaten by fear Spinks,Berbick,Frazier,Tillman and Stewart spring to mind.

As for the heavyweight scene now Vlad Klitch has sewn up the division but his style is pretty boring,but effective sadly no one has really caught him clean for along time as i still think he has a bit of a glass jaw,as the late Corey Saunders proved

The Tyson/Tucker fight, like many others, is on YouTube. Tucker fought smart, and kept his distance when he needed a breather. Bonecrusher Smith was never a great boxer, but he was experienced and durable - he let Bruno punch himself out, and whatever you think of Frank, he hit hard when he connected.

The Klitscho brothers are easier to admire than enjoy watching. It is good solid technique, but it won't keep you awake. They do seem to be keeping it together out of the ring - when's the last time a boxer was a curator at the Venice Biennale? And Wladimir also dated Hayden Panettiere. These are two boxers who will probably do more than alright after they retire, instead of just opening a pub and declaring bankruptcy a year later.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Archived