Wayne Bennett did not know there is a "series" or that there would be golden point

Copa

Some big communication issues here.. you'd think he'd be given more information. Doesn't look good.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/02/22/broncos-win-bizarre-thriller-over-wigan

"I didn't know it was a series until (the media) told me (after the game)," an amused Bennett said.

"No one talked about it back home. I certainly didn't know it was the case.

"Am I pleased that we won the series for Australia? That wasn't my priority."

Corey Parker slotted a penalty goal at the end of the first half of extra time to ice the 14-12 win, which also caught Bennett by surprise - as he'd been anticipating a draw following Wigan winger Joe Burgess' magnificent 78th minute try which levelled the scores.

"I hadn't taken a lot of notice of the rules. I couldn't believe we were playing extra time," Bennett said.

"I'm in denial about that. Why the hell do they want to play extra time?

"It's not a fixture match. It's a London exhibition game per se.

"Really they're not playing for anything else but pride and the club."

So, just as it's all looking like a great new concept with legs, along comes supercoach and talks down the whole thing in addition to highlighting a lack of communication within the "system".

Can't all parties get together and talk about the aims and goals of this event so that they all sing from the same song sheet during the actual event?? Seems a tad amateurish to me.

Bennett has always been the ur-Aussie, totally patronising of English Rugby League. However, it does show how the Aussies have regarded these games. Their language has consistently been about useful hit outs and preparation for week 1 of the NRL, rather than about the value of the series itself.

I applaud WB for being honest. All he needed to concern himself about was bringing his team over and winning a rugby match. He's been quite good at that over the years and he achieved that last night. Job done.

All the other things mentioned on here are just noise for him which were someone else's job to get right....

There is a lot of hype about the 3 games - 2 of which are no more than pre season warm up games for Brisbane & SGI.

That said, I've enjoyed both games so far & tonight should be good.

The only down side for me - the standard of refereeing is incredibly disappointing and the RFL need to start facing into the fact that its a major issue that blights our game.

What a pig-ignorant chap.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

He is sort of right though. It may be called the World Club Series but what's actually at stake for the clubs in the 2 games that aren't for the actual WCC ? Is there a trophy ? Prize money ? Medals for the players ?

They've been great entertainment and worth staging but in their purest form Bennett's comments aren't wrong. Maybe it's something that needs to be considered for next time, to give the games some tangible meaning.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

And we have some on here suggesting 8/16 team tournaments over here , over there , in Vegas ,in Dubai , in Hong Kong

Deluded

Quite simply try and repeat the formula next year , both games have been highly competitive and could have easily gone either way , the Aussies have been ' trying ' in both no matter what comment Mr Bennett spouts

If it hasn't ' cost ' the clubs then fine as it has brought media coverage , but we aren't ever going to be building it into something huge without much increased financial incentives

And we have some on here suggesting 8/16 team tournaments over here , over there , in Vegas ,in Dubai , in Hong Kong

Deluded

Quite simply try and repeat the formula next year , both games have been highly competitive and could have easily gone either way , the Aussies have been ' trying ' in both no matter what comment Mr Bennett spouts

If it hasn't ' cost ' the clubs then fine as it has brought media coverage , but we aren't ever going to be building it into something huge without much increased financial incentives

Do the incentives have to be financial though?

If these games were worth points in both clubs respective competitions, they'd have to take it seriously.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

He is sort of right though. It may be called the World Club Series but what's actually at stake for the clubs in the 2 games that aren't for the actual WCC ? Is there a trophy ? Prize money ? Medals for the players ?

They've been great entertainment and worth staging but in their purest form Bennett's comments aren't wrong. Maybe it's something that needs to be considered for next time, to give the games some tangible meaning.

There was the series trophy.

Isn't Bennett newly appointed (back) to Brisbane?  If so, he wouldn't have had a say in the team coming over here would he?  

But thanks anyway Wayne.  You could have kept your mouth shut for the sake of the game in this country.  At least you might have come across as someone with a modicum of respect rather than a total ignoramus.

Do the incentives have to be financial though?

If these games were worth points in both clubs respective competitions, they'd have to take it seriously.

How would you make that work?

St George and the Broncos volunteered for the idea to help promote the game.

There is no way you could have points in the respective leagues implemented.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

There was the series trophy.

Isn't Bennett newly appointed (back) to Brisbane?  If so, he wouldn't have had a say in the team coming over here would he?  

But thanks anyway Wayne.  You could have kept your mouth shut for the sake of the game in this country.  At least you might have come across as someone with a modicum of respect rather than a total ignoramus.

He was re-signed to the Broncos last July for this season.

He would have had plenty of say in everything that Club does.

Maybe he saw it as a paid pre season build up and was happy with that?

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

How would you make that work?

St George and the Broncos volunteered for the idea to help promote the game.

There is no way you could have points in the respective leagues implemented.

Go on , explain that one ?

My point was for if it was an expanded series (which I've made on other threads). If it was integral to each country's domestic competition, clubs would have to take it seriously.

You could mix it in to the super 8 and have all eight SL teams play two NRL clubs for points at that stage (only one game commitment from the NRL then). All for points.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Archived