Hock to Leigh

only one coach has been able to control hock and that is denis betts both at wigan and widnes, undeniably hock is an extremely talented player but his head is always somewhere else and he has perpetual brainfarts

Gareth Walker tweeted last night saying he spoke to someone recently who said that his comparatively good behaviour at Widnes was more down to Kevin Brown's influence, although I'm sure Betts also had some input.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously a big name player, and on hid day can create mayhem. The drawbacks are also immense, and after seeing him with Widnes I was very happy to have him as an opponent, due to the fact that he gave away the silliest of penalties on a regular basis which always cancelled out his good play. Anyway who ever he signs for will have to wait six games before he can play, and they'll need plenty of luck as well.

only one coach has been able to control hock and that is denis betts both at wigan and widnes, undeniably hock is an extremely talented player but his head is always somewhere else and he has perpetual brainfarts

Hock was banned for a total of 5 matches while at Widnes under Betts. At Wigan under Wane he only had 2 matches (that must be a record for Hock) in the 2012 season.

I know of one SL coach who'd have no problems putting Hock in his place.

In fact, I'd pay good money to watch it.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I don't think Betts controlled Hock at all - lots of training ground bust ups when he was at Widnes. Unless your idea of control is to send one of the players who stood up to him out on loan to Workington to appease him......!

Implying what,

Well, his style of play would fit in well with how you like to approach the game, and his personality would be a good match for the rest of the team and directors.

I always thought Tim Street when visualising Leigh, maybe now it'll be Gaz.

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

Some of the sendings off Hock has received would have been overlooked by many other players, Maybe he hasn't helped in that, but we have all seen this weekend the quality of officials we are blessed with,

I would welcome him at Huddersfield, I think he could teach our forwards a lot on the training ground ;)

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

Some of the sendings off Hock has received would have been overlooked by many other players, Maybe he hasn't helped in that, but we have all seen this weekend the quality of officials we are blessed with,

I would welcome him at Huddersfield, I think he could teach our forwards a lot on the training ground ;)

nah. Not even sure how many red cards he has had, many of his bans havent been after red cards.

There is simply no defence for his actions, he hasnt been treated harshly at all imo.

I could imagine if Hock did end up at Leeds then Brian Mcdermott would be able to instill discipline into him.

I'm not convinced, after all, he seems to be struggling a bit with Zak Hardaker, and Gareth is like Zak Hardaker Max Strength.

To be fair to Gareth, his discipline was pretty good during his first season at Salford, and he wasn't the penalty conceding ogre we were told he would be. In fact, he wasn't even in the club's top 10 penalty conceders that year (although helped by a spell on the sidelines with a groin injury, and a second spell related to a strange, referee specific case of temporary blindness). This suggests that, unlike Denis Betts, Brian Noble and, perhaps to a lesser extent, Iestyn, really had been successful in getting him to control himself a bit more. Adrian Morley in an interview referred to the work the club were doing with him to help him curb his temper. At the time, it seemed to be bearing fruit, but, sadly, subsequent events have shown that whatever improvements they made, they were only temporary.

I can't see Brian McDermott being any more successful really.

It's a real shame. He is still, for me, one of the best forwards this country has produced in a generation, but one with a massive self-destruct button.

I don't remember Hock being as bad as this before his drugs ban. I know he was bad tempered and did stupid things, but since he came back in 2011 he has had so many bans for such stupid things, contact with the ref on two separate occasions, eye gouging and now kneeing two different players in the head while on the floor.

nah. Not even sure how many red cards he has had, many of his bans havent been after red cards.

There is simply no defence for his actions, he hasnt been treated harshly at all imo.

I think sometimes he does get treated harshly, but he brings it on himself. He never, ever goes to the disciplinary committee as a first time offender who they could get away with treating a bit more leniently.

Hock can make a difference the problem I he fails to play enough games.

Salford have released 2 players to Leigh, this could backfire hugely at the end of the season.

Personally I'm glad to see the back of him,  the money can be better spent elsewhere.

Archived