Scottish 'league' format 2015

bowes

Playing more friendlies with English clubs to keep these clubs active and maybe some small tournaments would help in maintaining Rugby League in Scotland?

Friendlies with English clubs will keep clubs active but at considerable cost either for teams travelling North or Scottish teams travelling South. Small tournaments - there are several 9's tournaments organized but most players want a proper 13-aside game - but yes, a four or five team tournament with 3 x 25 or 4 x 20 minute games for each team would be OK and also a good day out.

Bon Accord Bulls - Community Rugby League for North East Scotland

Bon Accord Bulls website

Bon Accord Bulls facebook

Bon Accord Bulls twitter

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Friendlies with English clubs will keep clubs active but at considerable cost either for teams travelling North or Scottish teams travelling South. Small tournaments - there are several 9's tournaments organized but most players want a proper 13-aside game - but yes, a four or five team tournament with 3 x 25 or 4 x 20 minute games for each team would be OK and also a good day out.

Could they not hold some Anglo Scottish 13 a side tournaments with North of England clubs in the borders? Making the travel costs less for both the Scots and English clubs.

​​ 

​THE NORTH OF ENGLAND WITH A POPULATION OF NEARLY 17 MILLION PEOPLE IS THE TRUE EXPANSION AREA FOR RUGBY LEAGUE........IF IT CAN'T EXPAND HERE, WHERE CAN IT EXPAND?

​                       

​                        

Could they not hold some Anglo Scottish 13 a side tournaments with North of England clubs in the borders? Making the travel costs less for both the Scots and English clubs.

I have done this previously with Cramlington at youth level. Games at U15 and U17 held in Edinburgh - a great day and one I hope to repeat with Cramlington or ANOther club in June or early July this year - if there is anyone out there who fancies this then get in touch - but it would cost around £700 for us to organize - we would get something back from our own players in match fees/bus fares but we never cover 100% of the cost and the opposition have to shell out too.

Bon Accord Bulls website

Bon Accord Bulls twitter

I have done this previously with Cramlington at youth level. Games at U15 and U17 held in Edinburgh - a great day and one I hope to repeat with Cramlington or ANOther club in June or early July this year - if there is anyone out there who fancies this then get in touch - but it would cost around £700 for us to organize - we would get something back from our own players in match fees/bus fares but we never cover 100% of the cost and the opposition have to shell out too.

Sounds a great weekend for an armature club play some friendlies in Edinburgh.

But I was thinking more about a Rugby League tournament in the Rugby Union

heartlands of the borders. Maybe even getting some of the Union playing locals to give Rugby League a go. It could even raise their interest, if they see fellow Scots taking on English clubs? Just an idea.

​​ 

​THE NORTH OF ENGLAND WITH A POPULATION OF NEARLY 17 MILLION PEOPLE IS THE TRUE EXPANSION AREA FOR RUGBY LEAGUE........IF IT CAN'T EXPAND HERE, WHERE CAN IT EXPAND?

​                       

​                        

• 4 weeks later...

Happy to report that Bulls have 11 open age fixtures in the 12 weeks from 9th May to 25th July and hope to have 12 if we can plug another game in to our only weekend off. True that 3 of these fixtures are 9's festivals. However not a bad first season.

Now I just need to get the youth some games.

By the way, RFL don't pay for anyone in Scotland.

Bon Accord Bulls website

Bon Accord Bulls twitter

Happy to report that Bulls have 11 open age fixtures in the 12 weeks from 9th May to 25th July and hope to have 12 if we can plug another game in to our only weekend off. True that 3 of these fixtures are 9's festivals. However not a bad first season.

Now I just need to get the youth some games.

By the way, RFL don't pay for anyone in Scotland.

Well done! It can't be easy getting Rugby League up and running in a location so far from other RL areas.

Maybe some English clubs should make the effort to get up there and support RL in Aberdeen. Because it's not possible financially for you to organise regular matches down here. But it would be a one-off expense for different English clubs and also a good experience for them.

​​ 

​                       

​                        

• 2 months later...

I can confirm that the RFL pay nobody in Scotland. The SRL have no paid Employees either as they have ZERO funding. All development is done/pushed by a very, very small group of individuals. 

This year we can confirm that the total amount of 13 aside games that were played in Scotland at open age level, between Scottish clubs were 4 (Warriors v Strathmore Silverbacks x 2, Warriors v Bulls x 1, Warriors v Eagles x 1).

In the 9s festivals, only 2 took place as the last one in Aberdeen was called off due to flash flooding however the teams that turned up were Aberdeen Warriors, Strathmore Silverbacks, Edinburgh Eagles and Fraserburgh Rugby (who were hoping to get their first go at the game). The following clubs participated at the Edinburgh 9s: Aberdeen Warriors, Strathmore Silverbacks, Easterhouse Panthers and Edinburgh Eagles. At the Strathmore 9s only 3 clubs participated: Aberdeen Warriors, Edinburgh Eagles and Strathmore Silverbacks. 

The Warriors have also played 45 Commando in Arbroath, the British Army first XIII at home, the Royal Engineers (British Army Champions) in Ripon and Skirlaugh in Hull for the Challenge Cup round 1.

This year has been a real struggle with Youth Rugby being non existent. We were lucky enough to take a bunch of U17s down to Newcastle to play Gateshead Storm before the Newcastle Thunder v Gloucestershire All Golds game which was a great day out. I know the Bulls were able to take a team down to play North Berwick but that's all that's happened since the Bulls ran their Saltires Schools Cup in March. 

With no League structure and nothing to really play for, players have become disheartened with the game and we have slowly seen them drift off. I know we will be having a big focus on cross border games for next year with some already in the calendar both home and away for us, as well as pushing games locally but we (the SRL and member clubs) need a big investment of funding to make all this happen. It also takes a huge commitment from the volunteers that are pouring their heart and soul into trying to make this all work. 

Our head coach is looking after the Scotland Rugby League Club XIII this year and he has had some real trials and tribulations with getting games etc. We know the cost per player to play in 4 games is in the region of £500 per player of which they have to pay for out of their own pocket for to cover travel, accommodation and kit to represent their country. This isn't just the Club side but the U19s and the Student side as well. We can't keep asking players to continue to fork out this kind of money to participate in the game that we all love, What it does show is that some players are willing to go that bit further to play this game but it comes at a huge sacrifice to them, which will end in these players not being able to do other things or at worst stop them playing as finances are depleted. It has been seen already this year at club and national level. 

The game is being played by the few stubborn players and volunteers that want to keep it going but this will only last for so long before everybody gets exhausted and walks. 

I can confirm that the RFL pay nobody in Scotland. The SRL have no paid Employees either as they have ZERO funding. All development is done/pushed by a very, very small group of individuals. 

This year we can confirm that the total amount of 13 aside games that were played in Scotland at open age level, between Scottish clubs were 4 (Warriors v Strathmore Silverbacks x 2, Warriors v Bulls x 1, Warriors v Eagles x 1).

In the 9s festivals, only 2 took place as the last one in Aberdeen was called off due to flash flooding however the teams that turned up were Aberdeen Warriors, Strathmore Silverbacks, Edinburgh Eagles and Fraserburgh Rugby (who were hoping to get their first go at the game). The following clubs participated at the Edinburgh 9s: Aberdeen Warriors, Strathmore Silverbacks, Easterhouse Panthers and Edinburgh Eagles. At the Strathmore 9s only 3 clubs participated: Aberdeen Warriors, Edinburgh Eagles and Strathmore Silverbacks. 

The Warriors have also played 45 Commando in Arbroath, the British Army first XIII at home, the Royal Engineers (British Army Champions) in Ripon and Skirlaugh in Hull for the Challenge Cup round 1.

This year has been a real struggle with Youth Rugby being non existent. We were lucky enough to take a bunch of U17s down to Newcastle to play Gateshead Storm before the Newcastle Thunder v Gloucestershire All Golds game which was a great day out. I know the Bulls were able to take a team down to play North Berwick but that's all that's happened since the Bulls ran their Saltires Schools Cup in March. 

With no League structure and nothing to really play for, players have become disheartened with the game and we have slowly seen them drift off. I know we will be having a big focus on cross border games for next year with some already in the calendar both home and away for us, as well as pushing games locally but we (the SRL and member clubs) need a big investment of funding to make all this happen. It also takes a huge commitment from the volunteers that are pouring their heart and soul into trying to make this all work. 

Our head coach is looking after the Scotland Rugby League Club XIII this year and he has had some real trials and tribulations with getting games etc. We know the cost per player to play in 4 games is in the region of £500 per player of which they have to pay for out of their own pocket for to cover travel, accommodation and kit to represent their country. This isn't just the Club side but the U19s and the Student side as well. We can't keep asking players to continue to fork out this kind of money to participate in the game that we all love, What it does show is that some players are willing to go that bit further to play this game but it comes at a huge sacrifice to them, which will end in these players not being able to do other things or at worst stop them playing as finances are depleted. It has been seen already this year at club and national level. 

The game is being played by the few stubborn players and volunteers that want to keep it going but this will only last for so long before everybody gets exhausted and walks. 

Sorry to hear that. The RLEF or RLIF should be providing some funding and is it not possible to get grants from EU/Sport Scotland? Will the SkyTry initiative be going over the border?

Wait how did the Bulls play North Berwick? That's my local union team and I hadn't heard anything about that.

I guess it was a one off league rules match as I haven't heard of any age level teams playing organised league games before. Also why would they travel all the way down our way to play a union team when there are plenty of union teams closer by.

Archived