The NRL take control of the Gold Coast Titans.

Allora

Pity something like this did not happen in London in September 2013.. Gold Coast has potential and is the surrogate second "Brisbane" team. Their first game was played at Suncorp v St George, I should know for I was there. If Brisbane has another team it will be in the North at Redcliffe. Queenslands a growing state so I would imagine adding to the Queensland clubs in the NRL not relocation. More clubs in Qld would also stop sydney fans beefing about the Broncos being on Nine every Friday....  

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting to the stadium is an absolute pain in the ######.

1, There is no parking. Zilch. My other half was dropping me off there once in the pouring rain and he couldn't even get near the stadium to drop me off. All the roads nearby are closed off.

2, Yes it's next door to a train station, which is great if you live in one of the other four suburbs which are on the train line. Most people don't, so the train is useless for the majority (note, the train line goes nowhere near the coastline, where the popular suburbs such as Surfers Paradise, Broadbeach and Burleigh are. It is way inland).

3, yes you can catch a bus, or two buses. I would either catch two buses, or drive to a very busy shopping centre, try to find parking among all the hundreds of shoppers, and catch a bus from there. It would take me the best part of an hour door to door.

4, There is no bar or anywhere to go after the game, so given that there is no parking, it means every person in the ground is attempting to get the buses home at the same time after the game. That's thousands of people. Which again means well over an hour to get home after a game.

All this means I simply can't be bothered to go. It's not such a big issues if you're a big fan - you'd just deal with all that and go regardless - but it's certainly not appealing for the casual fan.

So the NRL ' model ' has its flaws as well ?

It doesn't look like it does it?

All pro sports clubs are prone to problems when finances are always stretched and there are no reserves of profits to fall back on.

So to keep a good solid league of competitive clubs positive intervention by the governing body is good business, and we get that in the NRL as you can surely see.

We don't get that in RFL/SLE where one minute the RFL assist Bulls and the next are financially penalising a club with no money and allowing their squad to be dismantled before sending them into freefall via relegation.

Clearly like Gold Coast, the Bulls could have been steadied and retained in SL, where their pulling power (which your club have just benefited from) and player development could have remained a big asset to the British game.

Do you really think the British model should be applied to Gold Coast, and that the best "feeder" club outside the NRL (whoever they are) should come into the NRL to replace the Gold Coast??

DSK is not "Crazy" it's a shame your back to name calling again, but it is crazy to think that the NRL should apply the British "model" here.

Why the Titans have a big future

NRL.com 

Andrew Voss is back for 2015 with verdicts on the Titans' struggles, the World Club Series, South Sydney's chances of going back-to-back and more. Here are six big questions answered from the NRL pre-season.

1. Are ownership changes at the Titans the beginning of the end?

No.

Look; without question these are tough times for the Titans.

However the NRL has gone on the front foot by terminating the club's license and taking control.

They have decided a Gold Coast-based club is part of the long-term plan and for that to be rock solid, they have stepped in.

Interesting that this news should come on the same day the Australian Financial Review revealed the AFL had tipped in more than $38 million to the GWS Giants over the past two years.

The AFL granted the Gold Coast Suns in excess of $33 million over the same period.

That's serious coin!

Maybe the Titans' plight might not be so bleak as some fear, compared to where the Giants and Suns would be without the financial support of their sport's governing body.

Follow Andrew Voss on Twitter: @AndrewVossy

The views of this article are those of the author and may not be those of the NRL or NRL.com.

DIEHARD / TITAN / MAROON / KANGAROO

The NRL has gone on the front foot by terminating the club's license and taking control.

They have decided a Gold Coast-based club is part of the long-term plan and for that to be rock solid, they have stepped in.

Contrast that with the RFL/SLE going on the back foot and deciding Bradford Bulls are expendable and terminating the clubs SL place.

2004 Bulls 22.v.Penrith 4 19,000.

Good governing bodies "Take control"

Contrast that with the RFL/SLE going on the back foot and deciding Bradford Bulls are expendable and terminating the clubs SL place.

2004 Bulls 22.v.Penrith 4 19,000.

Good governing bodies "Take control"

You are correct , maybe if the RFL had stated , " we are loaning the Bradford Bulls 500 K " rather than doing it in secret and then ' bulling ' about ' iconic ' stadium status to justify themselves , it is the way they do it , that is the real issue , not that it is needed

But again , the much vaunted NRL system isn't perfect as we now see

DSK is not "Crazy" it's a shame your back to name calling again, but it is crazy to think that the NRL should apply the British "model" here.

Not crazy no , but keeps posting ' fantasy ' structures that require hundreds of millions the sport doesn't have and is unlikely ever to have , a bit like stating the need for a moon franchise , crazy ?

But again , the much vaunted NRL system isn't perfect as we now see

Did anyone ever say it was? Did anyone ever believe it was? I'm an Australian NRL fan and I'm fully aware of many aspects of the NRL which generate differences of opinion. Differences of opinion which, I might add, are regularly aired in the OZ media.

To me, your comment seems nothing more than a pathetic, desperate, transparent attempt at Aussie/NRL bashing.

Did anyone ever say it was? Did anyone ever believe it was? I'm an Australian NRL fan and I'm fully aware of many aspects of the NRL which generate differences of opinion. Differences of opinion which, I might add, are regularly aired in the OZ media.

To me, your comment seems nothing more than a pathetic, desperate, transparent attempt at Aussie/NRL bashing.

Not ay all , just pointing out to those ' over here ' that claim it is the only way and how they use it as an example to prove their point

It doesn't look like it does it?

We don't get that in RFL/SLE where one minute the RFL assist Bulls and the next are financially penalising a club with no money and allowing their squad to be dismantled before sending them into freefall via relegation.

Clearly like Gold Coast, the Bulls could have been steadied and retained in SL, where their pulling power (which your club have just benefited from) and player development could have remained a big asset to the British game.

Yes they could , but who was it that ' had ' the Bulls , money , what happened to it ?

Well I can assure you it's not that. Mr. Kryten (with respect to him) is bashing your system in which you licence the clubs into a closed professional league, including big traditional clubs, merged clubs and expansion clubs, to a strategic plan, then centrally control that league to maintain stability amongst the chosen clubs, because it frightens him that the adoption of that system here would spell decline for the smaller clubs not chosen, into smaller supporters run clubs. Many supporters of the small clubs over here have views coloured by self interest.

Not at all , just pointing out to those ' over here ' that claim it is the only way and how they use it as an example to prove their point

It's certainly not the "only way" there is of course straight P & R, non strategic licensing in which clubs do not get central control, or play off P & R in which second tier clubs have to beat first tier clubs for entry to Superleague.

It remains open to European Super League to pick clubs via licensing on a strategic basis looking at growth rather than scoring clubs against each other in the here and now. That may borrow parts of the Aussie system, that may add things like extra funding for strategic clubs like London. 

For me the current choice of system is designed to rescue the Championship clubs from a slow decline into supporters run clubs, whilst taking the financial pressures off the Superleague clubs.

But I don't think a debate over what system is best for the game is the topic here. But nor is it "what system suits my club", and the ironic thing is my suggested one up one down is the one that will suit Leigh best.

No you come on, and make your point, rather than rhetorical questions.

As you and i know , it was the other SL clubs , so lets not in some way suggest that all the ' ills ' of the RL world are the fault of Championship clubs that still hanker for a bit of the limelight , all we can do is make the best of what is presented , again , if Super league was so 'Super ' , we wouldnt have an argument

As you and i know , it was the other SL clubs , so lets not in some way suggest that all the ' ills ' of the RL world are the fault of Championship clubs that still hanker for a bit of the limelight , all we can do is make the best of what is presented , again , if Super league was so 'Super ' , we wouldnt have an argument

Sadly it was indeed the other clubs, and if Superleague was Super there would indeed be no argument.

But in no way should you believe I take the view "all the ' ills ' of the RL world are the fault of Championship clubs that still hanker for a bit of the limelight "

If there is no appetite for a dynamic leadership to build a "Supersuperleague" over here, then as you have heard from me many times Championship clubs are necessary to replace failing SL clubs, even where those failings are as you point out self inflicted?. 

As you have also heard from me your club should be able to spend £1.8M on salaries and be automatically promoted? 

Sadly it was indeed the other clubs, and if Superleague was Super there would indeed be no argument.

But in no way should you believe I take the view "all the ' ills ' of the RL world are the fault of Championship clubs that still hanker for a bit of the limelight "

If there is no appetite for a dynamic leadership to build a "Supersuperleague" over here, then as you have heard from me many times Championship clubs are necessary to replace failing SL clubs, even where those failings are as you point out self inflicted?. 

As you have also heard from me your club should be able to spend £1.8M on salaries and be automatically promoted? 

Maybe it should , and at some point in the future all clubs might be allowed to [ I would suspect this will be when a Toulouse or a Newcastle/Coventry are in a position to spend that amount of money , and if so then fine ] but at the moment we dont need to and this new system is actually more exciting , and will be even if we [ Leigh ] dont go up , yes it sets the bar higher for us , makes us have to be ' better ' , which if it does work will make us better prepared to contest SL the following year

We have all seen and heard the arguments in the past " Yes but just being the best part time doesnt mean you are as good as the worst full time , the promoted club would lose to the relegated club , they will just swap their promoted team for the relegated team " well now they wont be doing

Absolute insanity the NRL continues to pander to this RL head case and there ugly sister Cronulla. Both these B grade clubs have had far to many chances and continue to bring the game into disrepute add to this the fact the neither are popular or in any way successful it's just typical NRL throwing money away on a lemon. Whats the bet Melbourne Storm are the next great RL disaster ?

Absolute insanity the NRL continues to pander to this RL head case and there ugly sister Cronulla. Both these B grade clubs have had far to many chances and continue to bring the game into disrepute add to this the fact the neither are popular or in any way successful it's just typical NRL throwing money away on a lemon. Whats the bet Melbourne Storm are the next great RL disaster ?

The same could have been said about Souths some years ago, they were insolvent.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

The same could have been said about Souths some years ago, they were insolvent.

Yes and steeped in history and Success and most importantly people still cared unlike this rabble of a club... Come on Allora spill the beans who do you support? 

Yes and steeped in history and Success and most importantly people still cared unlike this rabble of a club... Come on Allora spill the beans who do you support? 

Not many cared at the time, the crowds were poor, Souths Juniors had either cut or were about to cut funding and the success was from generations before.

It was until Piggins and the likes of Andrew Denton jumped aboard the train and got the yuppies involved that life was breathed back into Souths.

They still struggled for crowds for several years after re admission once the bandwagon supporters moved on.

They are pulling great crowds now as you would expect a premiership winning club to do but 2013 was the peak year and the crowds fell last year.

Not that its anyone's concern but I follow the game in general and have a bit of time for Leeds, & Catalans,  I also like the QLD maroons and the Cowboys.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Not many cared at the time, the crowds were poor, Souths Juniors had either cut or were about to cut funding and the success was from generations before.

It was until Piggins and the likes of Andrew Denton jumped aboard the train and got the yuppies involved that life was breathed back into Souths.

I agree. I spent (wasted) quite a few Sunday arvos back in the 80s at Redfern Oval. When I saw that crowd outside the Town Hall, my first thought was, "well if even a quarter had bothered to go to their games, Souths would still be in the NRL with a top squad, a full trophy cabinet and money coming out their ears."

Within a year of getting back into the comp, the crowds were back in the 8,000 range, which was one of the main causes of all their problems.

I agree. I spent (wasted) quite a few Sunday arvos back in the 80s at Redfern Oval. When I saw that crowd outside the Town Hall, my first thought was, "well if even a quarter had bothered to go to their games, Souths would still be in the NRL with a top squad, a full trophy cabinet and money coming out their ears."

Within a year of getting back into the comp, the crowds were back in the 8,000 range, which was one of the main causes of all their problems.

Farmduck as an Australian you should be well aware of the size of this state let alone country we live in, At the time of the March I was living 8hrs from Sydney and spoke to many supporters who traveled from other states and even oversea's to right that wrong. Do you honestly think we can all travel these distances to attend home games? I now live 3.5hr's from Sydney and attend all home games & am amazed how many others travel similar distances to me but not everyone can do this. Lets not forget wests posted a crowd of 4000 for a home game at Leumeah last season so things are not so rosy in Tiger town atm.

They still struggled for crowds for several years after re admission once the bandwagon supporters moved on.

They are pulling great crowds now as you would expect a premiership winning club to do but 2013 was the peak year and the crowds fell last year.

Not that its anyone's concern but I follow the game in general and have a bit of time for Leeds, & Catalans,  I also like the QLD maroons and the Cowboys.

"I follow the game in general" I love that one what ever it means.. You love the game you say but seem to have a problem with its greatest club! don't like it look in the history books. There are so many holes in your story I'm not even going to bother, what I will say is lets see just how many people "yuppies" even care to breath any life back into the giants oh I mean seagulls or is it chargers or titans now?

Archived