Final curtain

exiledyed

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very similar histories do us & souths..

Infact didn't rusty get linked with leeds united the other week?? Id rather he buy us,he could build us a stadium and get us into super league for less than he'd lose in a season at leeds united lol

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

just been messing about on google earth & ms paint...

melrose%20fields_zpsom8rvbcw.jpg

the smaller red rectangle is a full sized 65m x 115m pitch for hollinwood

the larger red rectangle is large enough for a 4,000+ capacity "community" stadium...two touchline stands,7/8 rows/steps high with a capacity of 1000 each...and two terraced goalends,again 7/8 rows/steps high, with a capacity of 1000+ each (its more like 1650+ going of the 1 v 1.8 standing ratio)

the blue area -  car parking?

theres also scope to add a tram station too....don't worry i'll pay for that  ;)

OLDHAM RLFC

Spud, build where's there already a tram stop, or one nearby. Where there is land the council are looking to dispose of for development or encouraging others to develop. Where there is easy major road access. Where there are existing or proposed sports facilities. A potential multi-development site to encourage the likelihood of development partners. A site on the edge of the town centre or where the Council leader would like to leave a legacy (failsworth or close by). For me there are two favoured sites which meet these criteria. The former Sainsbury's site behind the new sports centre, and the former Kaskenmoor school site. The other possibility may be Alexandra retail park, but I think the Council have other plans for that.

Spud, build where's there already a tram stop, or one nearby. Where there is land the council are looking to dispose of for development or encouraging others to develop. Where there is easy major road access. Where there are existing or proposed sports facilities. A potential multi-development site to encourage the likelihood of development partners. A site on the edge of the town centre or where the Council leader would like to leave a legacy (failsworth or close by). For me there are two favoured sites which meet these criteria. The former Sainsbury's site behind the new sports centre, and the former Kaskenmoor school site. The other possibility may be Alexandra retail park, but I think the Council have other plans for that.

Melrose playing field is between two stops,its only 400m from south chad tram stop,a path would need to be built though

OLDHAM RLFC

keep the suggestions coming spud,The more the merrier.The tubester could be right about a council  leader wanting to leave a decent legacy.Although going by the legacy left by the past 40 years worth of councillors that wont be too hard..Some extra flower baskets down Hollins Road perhaps..

I note that Tubey has seen the light re our hair brained alexandra ind est scheme but like he says the council has other plans which will no doubt result in the continued dereliction of the site.

Has anyone thought about the Merton Avenue playing fields, near Heron Street. Don't seem to be being used anymore. Loads of space and close to training facilities at Oasis. I think it was the St Anselms sports field.

Reading that link above from 2006 i think every single patch of land in oldham was considered...

I think RO should really consider going back to hollinwood with a proposal..i think RO should build "the terrace", that they've long offered CH for whitebank,at the melrose playing fields and over time develop the site into a true RL facility for the whole of RL in oldham,be home to hollinwood as well as school finals,standard cup etc...and one day ORLFC will become tennents at the RO facility....Being a charity RO can apply for grants that ORLFC can't...it would be far easier for RO to move forward on its own.

Melrose fields of dream....built it and they will come..

OLDHAM RLFC

Has anyone thought about the Merton Avenue playing fields, near Heron Street. Don't seem to be being used anymore. Loads of space and close to training facilities at Oasis. I think it was the St Anselms sports field.

If I'm not mistaken, this land has been bought by Hulme grammar school.

so youve had it confirmed that he is NOT employed by the RFL, therefore is not rolling in the cash that they dont pay him.

where then, do you suggest he makes his money/wages, if its not able to come from the club, because of falling gate numbers etc?

Maybe hes moonlighting at Leigh as a steward?? But the point im getting at is, as with anyone, the man has to pay his own bills too....why should he not take extra jobs (if thats what he has done) to pay his mortgage or put food on the table? There but for the grace of god go any of us that need to take extra jobs to make ends meet

and...maybe im being a bit simplistic, but Im sure that if he was as heinous as he is made out to be in these forums (i must remember next time Im there to look for horns or a 666 on the back of his neck) but SURELY Scott, Spanner and some/any/all of the players wouldnt stay if he was that bad? especially Scott who has just extended his contract.

do you not afford them the courtesy of crediting these grown men with any brains or nouse, of being able to size up a situation, and exercise their right to walk away from the place if it was as bad as you all say? They have as much right as the stay aways and the boycotters amongst the fans, to say enough is enough, and leave...but yet they turn up week in week out for training, for matches, and play their guts out......again, as yourselves why that is!

My concern is whitebank, I'm not fussed about CH or his man management or where he works he stood up with 3 others and a new club was formed whilst the other 3 have gone CH is still here, he must love Oldham because if he didn't he would have walked. Yes he ###### people off. I know I have

I just want a better ground to watch Oldham rlfc.

so youve had it confirmed that he is NOT employed by the RFL, therefore is not rolling in the cash that they dont pay him.

where then, do you suggest he makes his money/wages, if its not able to come from the club, because of falling gate numbers etc?

Maybe hes moonlighting at Leigh as a steward?? But the point im getting at is, as with anyone, the man has to pay his own bills too....why should he not take extra jobs (if thats what he has done) to pay his mortgage or put food on the table? There but for the grace of god go any of us that need to take extra jobs to make ends meet

and...maybe im being a bit simplistic, but Im sure that if he was as heinous as he is made out to be in these forums (i must remember next time Im there to look for horns or a 666 on the back of his neck) but SURELY Scott, Spanner and some/any/all of the players wouldnt stay if he was that bad? especially Scott who has just extended his contract.

do you not afford them the courtesy of crediting these grown men with any brains or nouse, of being able to size up a situation, and exercise their right to walk away from the place if it was as bad as you all say? They have as much right as the stay aways and the boycotters amongst the fans, to say enough is enough, and leave...but yet they turn up week in week out for training, for matches, and play their guts out......again, as yourselves why that is!

When i saw what mrs moorhouse wrote about CH not being employed by the RFL i wondered where that had come from? I don't anyone has said on here that hes employed by the RFL?? I think what it stems from is championship clubs where only given x amount of cash from the RFL depentant on whether the club had a full tine CEO....£90k iirc?...from that a CEO would have taken a full time wage...

So technically not on the RFL payroll but their wage came out of the RFL grant...if that makes sense.....kinda chickens & eggs really

OLDHAM RLFC

Outsider - We never thought he was working for the RFL, but that doesn't mean that debts to him are not repaid from the money the RFL grants the club.  Nor does it preclude his ORLFC wages being paid from those monies, either in full or in part.

So while not being employed by the RFL, as the only director of the club, he benefits directly from their grant.

In a serious and considered, but relatively short, response to your other points about CH - I would say that I don't think he is evil. I don't think that he's stupid. I believe he started this venture with the best intentions. It may well be that his individual relationships with many players, staff and some fans is very good. And again, we've never questioned the players and coaches professionalism.

However, there is no denying that he has only succeeded in managing decline. Much of this decline in recent years is directly attributable to irretrievably damaged relationships with many supporters, sponsors, landlords and others. Damage that many people believe is largely caused by CH's business practices or inaction/disengagement with several stakeholder groups.

So, abandon your search for horns, cloven hooves, pitchforks etc - he isn't the devil. However, I believe he has painted himself and the club into a corner and now finds himself increasingly isloated and out of his depth. 

Spud, I'm not a fan of the Melrose fields idea. I understand your reasoning, but there's too much of an established residential area, not currently available as part of the council's development plan.

I always acknowledged that Alexandra retail park meets many of the criteria, but i think its in the wrong location and that the land could be better used for employment.

Merton Playing fields - site is multi-level,  there would have to be massive earthworks to level the land for a stadium, not sure who owns it, Hulme makes sense though.

I am happy to take part in a meeting with CH, however I don't think that an OPEN meeting is the way to go. I would rather seek a focussed meeting with several fan's representatives and members of the RO Board.

The problem is you're laying down terms and setting it up for a fail. Now I agree an open meeting would help, a proper open meeting. With everyone, season ticket holders, attenders and none attenders the like. However, that's not what's been offered. A face to face with those with a grievance. So go on give him a bell!

And when he says that , due to a diminishing fan base he has not been able to develop Whitebank Stadium to the RFL minimum standards... (an expectation the RFL will have stipulated when the move to this facility happened) use this quote from the Oldham Chronicle 03/03/2015....

Each of the 14 clubs in League One is now linked to either a Super League or leading Championship club.

Said Hamilton: “It’s down to each pair of clubs to make it work, but the crux lies in the word ‘partnership’. It’s got to be of mutual

benefit.”

And that is my problem in a nutshell with Chris Hamiltons ORLFC. 

And when he says that , due to a diminishing fan base he has not been able to develop Whitebank Stadium to the RFL minimum standards... (an expectation the RFL will have stipulated when the move to this facility happened) use this quote from the Oldham Chronicle 03/03/2015....

Each of the 14 clubs in League One is now linked to either a Super League or leading Championship club.

Said Hamilton: “It’s down to each pair of clubs to make it work, but the crux lies in the word ‘partnership’. It’s got to be of mutual

benefit.”

And that is my problem in a nutshell with Chris Hamiltons ORLFC.

Can you name all the clubs and their partner clubs?

I'm sure that not everyone is linked with another club.

What is needed is for CH to do what he said he would do in 1997 that is to be honest and open with the fans.

A meeting on a one to one basis on a match day will solve nothing.

It needs to be an open meeting with CH in which he can answer questions.

It would need to be chaired by someone of integrity, eg Roger Halstead, and  well stewarded so that it does not devolve into a personal slanging match.

It would  also be better if the Chron was there to report the meeting so everyone would know.

Sensible questions asked in a polite way answered truthfully.

That's all the fans want.

Archived