State of the Game?

So nothing learnt here then, lets carry on regardlessThis weekYorkshire Juniors NWC 16-18Results Next week Fixtures Results Next Week FixturesU18 x 1 U18 x 3 U17-18 x 9 U17-18 x 13U17 x 5 U17 x 0 U16 x 6 U16 x 15U16 x 4 U16 x 21 (Ours off already)U15 x 12Then a break for Easter, our 16s will have had 1 game in five weeks and no home gameIf you take into consideration, NWC, Pennine, Hull, Yorkshire Men’s, NCL you have approximately 200 men’s teams, if all the youth played you have about 40 under 17-18 teams in Yorkshire and Lancashire, and about 70 under 16s teams, it is not sustainable, we already know the 16-18 has the worst drop off and I attach a review of the 2013 season which you all will have seen. According to the RFL in their 2010-12 strategy plan

• Community Teams ages 16+ 3,708 (Looking at this we are about 3,300 off)
  • 25% Reduction in the drop off of U18
  • 92,000 16+ registrations (About 60,000 off)
  • (All in the attached)
I am alright Jack (The RFL and Pro Game spring to mind) the strong will survive and just play each other, forget about the game of RL. We start a team out of the heartlands in Oxford, great news? Yorkshire Coach, Yorkshire players mainly off Heworth, funny Heworth can’t raise a competitive team this week

Sorry the post seems ok on a PC and jumbled on I Pad

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heworth Withdraw From The Kingstone Press NCL With Immediate Effect

After playing one game this season founder members of The NCL Heworth, have made the decision to withdraw from Division 3 citing a lack of playing strength.

Heworth were Division 1 Champions in 1993-92 and last season won the fair play award

Below is the full statement from Ken Sykes

Further to our telephone discussion earlier today I write to confirm our official withdrawal from the NCL with immediate effect.

You are aware of some of the reasons but the bottom line is that we are not strong enough to compete at this level and feel that our very young squad would benefit from taking a step backwards in the hope and expectation that we can progress forward at a later date.

We have thoroughly enjoyed most our 30 years in the NCL and are proud of our achievements and participation in the best (by far) amateur league in the country and on a personal level it has hit me and a few other old stalwarts very hard.  But we are confident we are making the right decision for our club as a whole.

We would like to wish the NCL committee (many of whom are our friends) and the member clubs all the best for the future.

Finally I would like to thank you for your and the committee's support and offer of assistance on hearing of our current situation.

Chairman of The NCL Trevor Hunt commented

It is a very sad day indeed to lose one of our founder members in Heworth, who have served the League diligently and with great support ever since its inception in 1986. The hard working Heworth committee have worked long and hard, but the loss of a large number of key players to the professional ranks has left them with a young squad that would be vulnerable in this level of competition.

We wish the club every success in the future and look forward to the day when they will re-apply for the NCL to regain their place in the amateur games top flight.

My sincere thanks and best wishes go to everyone at the Heworth club.

Archived