The chattering press are always going on about his evil ways and presenting him as a dangerous nasty personality. He probably is. Today, we had Kerry going on about rapes and murders in Ukraine.

As organised propaganda campaigns go, none of this bothers Putin.

The west would do better if they said he had a tiny scrawny todger  and his actions were fuelled by his fury over this.

;)

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Seems a bit too obvious for a official bump off.  Surely easier to have a 'heart attack' or car crash?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Admiral Villeneuve was captured by the British Navy after he lost his fleet at the Battle of Trafalgar. They released him a year later and he returned to France to face the wrath of Napoleon. Once there, he died in a hotel after receiving six stab wounds. The official verdict was "Suicide".

I wonder if Putin was reading the same Wikipedia pages as me last week?

;)B)

He seemed to be doing a decent job after he took over from the drunk Yeltsin,but since he's jumped from president to Prime minister then back again it looks like he's going to do the equivalent of the Reichstag burning then then the enabling act oh and Leibenstraun

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Seems a bit too obvious for a official bump off.  Surely easier to have a 'heart attack' or car crash?

Putin doesn't seem bothered by foreign public opinion, though. He's still very popular in Russia.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Putin doesn't seem bothered by foreign public opinion, though. He's still very popular in Russia.

Hitler went through a period of popularity in Germany too.When is Putin up for re election or has he suspended elections?

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

He reminds me of Mussolini. People forget to begin with Mussolini was a very popular leader in Italy and with other countries before he decided to invade Ethiopia (thinking he was just copying Britain and France but acting horrifically by any moral standards). By the end he was a nasty piece of work quite clearly.

We need to tread carefully with this man,he could cripple western europe by switching the gas off

The current thinking is he won't do that. Russia is currently being crippled itself by the falling oil prices and Ukrainian economic sanctions . Cut gas supplies to Western Europe and Russia will be on its knees.

The current thinking is he won't do that. Russia is currently being crippled itself by the falling oil prices and Ukrainian economic sanctions . Cut gas supplies to Western Europe and Russia will be on its knees.

But he could put the price significantly up and we'd have to pay,we are so reliant on it ,30% i believe comes to us from Russia.

Its alright politicians saying we are looking at alternative fuels but sadly we are way behind in the Nuclear programme thanks to the anti nuclear brigade,there was even mention recently of opening up some coal faces

But he could put the price significantly up and we'd have to pay,we are so reliant on it ,30% i believe comes to us from Russia.

Its alright politicians saying we are looking at alternative fuels but sadly we are way behind in the Nuclear programme thanks to the anti nuclear brigade,there was even mention recently of opening up some coal faces

The West has already called Putin's bluff regarding energy. Gazprom have tried previously to cut off supplies into the Ukraine but the West rebuked this by threatening to reverse its supplies back into the Ukraine to keep minimise this Russian threat. Putin knows this and arguably would not attempt to do this as the West would not pay and get its requirements elsewhere. The threat of a pipeline through Syria is a key reason why Putin is backing Assad currently as Putin knows he'll lose any economic leverage over the West. With his economy getting hammered through sanctions and the oil price, Putin isn't stupid enough to play hard ball with the western powers; if he does, he'll lose and his economy will collapse as deals like recently announced with China are actually shockingly bad for Russia and will not sustain the economy. Despite attempts to become a knowledge-based economy, they can't finance it presently; he is utterly reliant on the West despite the egotistical clap trap that emanates from the Kremlin.

Maybe if the E U had not been so enthusiastic about getting former soviet countries to join the EU, things might have been easier. Maybe Putin feels that having NATO candidates on his doorstep is not what he wanted. I am appaled at the Wests reaction to the Ukraine crisis when in the E U seems to have been provocative in the extreme by seemingly bribing the country. Far better I would have thought, to work with Putin not against him. Now egos are getting in the way and no one wants to back down.

What has the Ukraine crisis got to do with the EU?

several countries are dependant on Russian gas for their energy supplies. However, Ukraine is not a member of the EU.

Exactly what has the Ukraine crisis got to do with the UK?

Nothing. We don't get Russian gas for our energy supplies and Ukraine is not a member of the EU.

Exactly what has the Ukraine crisis got to do with the USA?

Nothing

Why is the USA leading the crusade against Russia?

Because it is a bully looking to restore face after its pathetic performance in Iraq and Afghanistan

Why do we so avidly and scrupulously report the USA's propaganda programme against Russia?

Because we can't quite make up our mind whether or not  to bend over and take it up the r's from the EU or the USA.

Best be on the safe side and let both of them do it. And pay for the privilege.

:dry: <_<

After all, if we were in trouble, the EU and USA would be straight in to back us up.

:jester:

Maybe if the E U had not been so enthusiastic about getting former soviet countries to join the EU, things might have been easier. Maybe Putin feels that having NATO candidates on his doorstep is not what he wanted. I am appaled at the Wests reaction to the Ukraine crisis when in the E U seems to have been provocative in the extreme by seemingly bribing the country. Far better I would have thought, to work with Putin not against him. Now egos are getting in the way and no one wants to back down.

You are correct in my opinion about the enthusiasm shown by the EU eastwards. This is a point I have recently heard by organisations like Chatham House, RUSI and more interestingly the Joint Committee for the National Security Strategy. However, it shouldn't be ignored that these nations actually asked to become members of the EU and NATO; they were not forced. The majority of Poles, Estonians, Lithuanians et al do not like Russia and how it views the Eastern Europe under their sphere of influence. Therefore whilst the EU and NATO didn't take into account the Russian psyche and viewpoint, we should not forget these nations don't want to be under Russian influence; they want to be part of EU and NATO.

Clearly we could ignore their requests, we could consolidate what we have or even go down the road of isolationism, which Wolford seems to be a key advocate of. However, I don't think any of those options are particularly viable in this globalised multipolar world. Everything is connected include trade and communications and whilst states do not tend to fight each other physically nowadays as per the early 20th Century, they certainly are economically through trading blocs such as the EU and the SCO (the US being a block itself). It is a competition for resources. Russia would be far better working with the EU and ultimately NATO as a European nation (some of the locals like the murdered politician seem to be keen advocates) rather than trying to act as a counterweight. But it'll never happen with leadership fixated on a Cold War mentality and who believe in the radical idea of Novorossyia. Putin is a very dangerous man...

He reminds me of Mussolini. People forget to begin with Mussolini was a very popular leader in Italy and with other countries before he decided to invade Ethiopia (thinking he was just copying Britain and France but acting horrifically by any moral standards). By the end he was a nasty piece of work quite clearly.

Mussolini is a very accurate description. Right down to the bare-chested antics put on for the film crews. There's plenty of old footage of Benito doing very Putin-like stunts. Not quite as butch but there's Mussolini, sans shirt, harvesting wheat with the peasants, etc.

You are correct in my opinion about the enthusiasm shown by the EU eastwards. This is a point I have recently heard by organisations like Chatham House, RUSI and more interestingly the Joint Committee for the National Security Strategy. However, it shouldn't be ignored that these nations actually asked to become members of the EU and NATO; they were not forced. The majority of Poles, Estonians, Lithuanians et al do not like Russia and how it views the Eastern Europe under their sphere of influence. Therefore whilst the EU and NATO didn't take into account the Russian psyche and viewpoint, we should not forget these nations don't want to be under Russian influence; they want to be part of EU and NATO.

Clearly we could ignore their requests, we could consolidate what we have or even go down the road of isolationism, which Wolford seems to be a key advocate of. However, I don't think any of those options are particularly viable in this globalised multipolar world. Everything is connected include trade and communications and whilst states do not tend to fight each other physically nowadays as per the early 20th Century, they certainly are economically through trading blocs such as the EU and the SCO (the US being a block itself). It is a competition for resources. Russia would be far better working with the EU and ultimately NATO as a European nation (some of the locals like the murdered politician seem to be keen advocates) rather than trying to act as a counterweight. But it'll never happen with leadership fixated on a Cold War mentality and who believe in the radical idea of Novorossyia. Putin is a very dangerous man...

Quite so. .

Also  Russia would be far better working with the EU and ultimately NATO as a European nation is right right  but equally the EU and NATO would also be better working with Russia

and also certainly in Ukraine,  these nations don't want to be under Russian influence; maybe not the whole country.

I just think the current escalation is in no ones interest.

Maybe if the E U had not been so enthusiastic about getting former soviet countries to join the EU, things might have been easier. Maybe Putin feels that having NATO candidates on his doorstep is not what he wanted.

dont normally agree with what you post,but after 21k posts you've finally hit the nail on the head

Can you imagine if Canada or Mexico became big friends with Russia

dont normally agree with what you post,but after 21k posts you've finally hit the nail on the head

Can you imagine if Canada or Mexico became big friends with Russia

Well, if you've ever followed the history of Central or South America, you know exactly what happens the moment you ally yourself with any foreign regime that's even slightly left of centre. Or, more importantly, if you tell the North American corporations operating in your country to pay any tax at all.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quite so. .

Also  Russia would be far better working with the EU and ultimately NATO as a European nation is right right  but equally the EU and NATO would also be better working with Russia

and also certainly in Ukraine,  these nations don't want to be under Russian influence; maybe not the whole country.

I just think the current escalation is in no ones interest.

NATO and the EU have tried working with Russia. The NATO-Russia Council (NRC) was set up in 2002 as we have many common security interests such as terrorism, energy resources and WMDs. Currently suspended due to Russia's involvement in the Ukraine conflict, the NRC has hit a few stumbling blocks, mainly Bush's pre-emption nuclear strike doctrine, the NATO missile shield and Russians escapades in its former satellite states like Georgia. Russia simply does not believe the US and NATO's view that it did not see Russia as a threat and were far more interested in countries like Iran and North Korea plus countering terrorism. It is Putin's Cold War mentality getting in the way and his drive to be a counterweight to US on the world stage (he also thinks the EU is an extension of NATO, which I personally believe is a long way off the truth). Clearly our actions haven't helped at times (Georgia were within a week of joining NATO in 2008) and the Bush pre-emption nuclear doctrine was a shockingly bad idea but Russia's recent military actions and posture in the Crimea, Ukraine and North Sea have rapidly deteriorated relationships with NATO, the EU and other Western powers. It will only hurt Russia in the long run as economically, they cannot sustain themselves due to the falling oil price and militarily, their land combat forces are being stripped bare and cannibalised as they have been suffering fairly heavily losses both in terms of kit and manpower in Eastern Ukraine. 

These things are never simple, though, and there is not necessarily any point in asking who started it.  Brent Crude price on way up again, I see: http://www.cnbc.com/id/102474496

The Ukraine–European Union Association Agreement  was never going to end well, in my view.  Western Ukraine is found to be generally more enthusiastic about EU membership than Eastern Ukraine 

Oh, really? That's one way of Putin it!

Today, Ukraine put its bank interest rate to 30%. It's a basket case country run by corrupt incompetents.

I know; let's just go in there with a lot of lovely propaganda and swagger. Then we can just let the Ukrainian politicians rip us of and the proto-Russians kill our troops, who will of course  be obliged to fight with one hand tied behind their backs.

After all, this policy worked so marvellously in Afghanistan.

If by "us" you mean the UK, that's not the case according to this data.

http://www.ukoog.org.uk/knowledge-base/gas-uses/where-does-the-uk-currently-get-its-gas-from

Interesting couple of articles and youtube video in light of the Nemtsov murder:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-31788073

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/05/us-russia-nemtsov-ukraine-idUSKBN0M120C20150305

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM04zNbsaJg

This video was incredibly powerful, especially the bloke at 25mins in...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C66mAkS1ZfM

Archived