Leigh PR machine do it again

Great stuff that. It's a shame for us smaller clubs in the Calendar/Look North region that we have a load of the bigger clubs right on our doorstep that steal the headlines.

Like Man Utd/City/Liverpool/Everton/Bolton/Wigan/Saints and Warrington you mean ?

Again top work by the clubs media/marketing , having an open invite for the whole season is inspired

Like Man Utd/City/Liverpool/Everton/Bolton/Wigan/Saints and Warrington you mean ?

Again top work by the clubs media/marketing , having an open invite for the whole season is inspired

I wasn't including football clubs but if we are it's even more so against us.

SIGNATURE

Great stuff that. It's a shame for us smaller clubs in the Calendar/Look North region that we have a load of the bigger clubs right on our doorstep that steal the headlines.

Steal the headlines?  We're lucky to get a mention when we win, on Look North West anyway.  The local BBC virtually ignore rugby league at whatever level.  Granada is much better at reporting about rugby league.

really? There are more big football clubs in the NW id have thought.

There are by a country mile. RL clubs in Yorkshire have a very benign environment in which to operate compared to those of the NW. Some make the most of it, others don't.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

There are by a country mile. RL clubs in Yorkshire have a very benign environment in which to operate compared to those of the NW. Some make the most of it, others don't.

You're quite right - quite a daft comment from the Batley fan.

However, I do think that there is more overlap in Yorkshire. The big cities have clubs in both sports and they're very much in the same space, locally.

However, the NW is a bit more divided. With the exception of Wigan (and the Latics are both Johnny-come-latelies amd faltering), the big RL clubs are in towns where there is a much smaller football presence.

I realise that in real terms the tentacles of the big football clubs stretch well beyond their own territories and way beyond that - often nationally (when I lived in Bradford we used to joke that everyone in Bradford supported Leeds United and everyone in Leeds supported Man United).

People called Romans they go the house

I always thought RL got pretty decent coverage on BBC Yorkshire – I know a lot of the sports reports can be football heavy, but you’d be hard pressed to find many areas in the country where that isn’t the case. Always get the results, a fair few actual reports a week and probably some tries if one of the teams has been on Sky that week. I’ve found in Yorkshire it’s the opposite to Saintslass’s experience over the border, in the fact I always though Calendar was absolute bobbins for RL.

When I moved to Manchester I naively thought the RL coverage on local BBC would be similar to Look North, but I was very surprised that it was properly minimal in comparison. I know Man Utd/City, Liverpool, Everton et al are in the area, but still sometimes you wouldn’t even know that a lot of the country’s current best RL teams play in the North West. I don’t watch the local news much, I must say, but I would also say that when I’ve seen Granada there actually have been a few decent RL reports on it, so I would agree there. So big up to Leigh, all news is good news and I don’t think I’ve ever seen the Championship results on there that often, so this is no mean feat.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

This report was just the 1 st of an ongoing season long series , Leigh have given BBC NW an open invite to all aspects of the club , giving the broadcasters the option of just ringing up and then turning up , just what you want when looking to fill in during a ' quiet ' spell

I always thought RL got pretty decent coverage on BBC Yorkshire – I know a lot of the sports reports can be football heavy, but you’d be hard pressed to find many areas in the country where that isn’t the case. Always get the results, a fair few actual reports a week and probably some tries if one of the teams has been on Sky that week. I’ve found in Yorkshire it’s the opposite to Saintslass’s experience over the border, in the fact I always though Calendar was absolute bobbins for RL.

When I moved to Manchester I naively thought the RL coverage on local BBC would be similar to Look North, but I was very surprised that it was properly minimal in comparison. I know Man Utd/City, Liverpool, Everton et al are in the area, but still sometimes you wouldn’t even know that a lot of the country’s current best RL teams play in the North West. I don’t watch the local news much, I must say, but I would also say that when I’ve seen Granada there actually have been a few decent RL reports on it, so I would agree there. So big up to Leigh, all news is good news and I don’t think I’ve ever seen the Championship results on there that often, so this is no mean feat.

Have to say that RL coverage on Look North used to be good when it was basically a West Riding based show. But since they decided to lump Sheffield and York into our area's coverage it has become very thin on the ground, with netball in Sheffield getting more coverage than Championship RL.

They cover soccer to much lower levels than RL - even to the extent of having a dedicated lower league soccer programme. Though I accept that, since we have no major soccer clubs in the area, they wouldn't have anything to cover if they didn't. However it seems to be only SL which gets any attention on BBC North as far as RL is concerned.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

This report was just the 1 st of an ongoing season long series , Leigh have given BBC NW an open invite to all aspects of the club , giving the broadcasters the option of just ringing up and then turning up , just what you want when looking to fill in during a ' quiet ' spell

This is brilliant stuff.

And being located where they are, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that BBC Sport might jump on board in times of desperation.

Have to say that RL coverage on Look North used to be good when it was basically a West Riding based show. But since they decided to lump Sheffield and York into our area's coverage it has become very thin on the ground, with netball in Sheffield getting more coverage than Championship RL.

They cover soccer to much lower levels than RL - even to the extent of having a dedicated lower league soccer programme. Though I accept that, since we have no major soccer clubs in the area, they wouldn't have anything to cover if they didn't. However it seems to be only SL which gets any attention on BBC North as far as RL is concerned.

That doesn’t entirely surprise me. When I talk about watching Look North, it’s probably about 10 years since that I watched it with any regularity – even then they did have Sheffield and York etc lumped in but it was so West Yorkshire heavy – not just in terms of sport, but news – I always wondered if anyone living outside of West Yorkshire had any use for it, because they never seemed to bother reporting on anything more than a 20 minute drive from the studio. With local budgets becoming tighter and the onus on providing value to everyone, it’s probably inevitable their scope has widened a bit.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

I don't know about that but I know literally dozens of people who are from Bradford but support Leeds Utd and always have done -it's quite bizzare. I also find a lot of the more  'obsessed' Leeds fans come from Wakey or Cas etc etc

Bizzare? Why?

The LUFC thing comes from the Revie Era when success fame and notoriety created "whites" followings from all around, coming in from York, Bradford, Halifax, Wakey, Ponte etc even Sweden.

Big attractive clubs attract from afar.

I'm sure Bradford Bulls in their heyday got fans from all over the region surely???????

(Cue "nobody I know from Halifax watches Bradford posts)

Publicity is OK in theory but top class success is the key to a big crowd.

Leigh need promotion, then they need to win games and get in the top eight, then they need to make a real challenge in that top eight.

You're quite right - quite a daft comment from the Batley fan.

However, I do think that there is more overlap in Yorkshire. The big cities have clubs in both sports and they're very much in the same space, locally.

However, the NW is a bit more divided. With the exception of Wigan (and the Latics are both Johnny-come-latelies amd faltering), the big RL clubs are in towns where there is a much smaller football presence.

I realise that in real terms the tentacles of the big football clubs stretch well beyond their own territories and way beyond that - often nationally (when I lived in Bradford we used to joke that everyone in Bradford supported Leeds United and everyone in Leeds supported Man United).

Not a daft post really.

The bigger RL teams I refer to in the Yorkshire Look North/Calendar regions who get the exposure are Leeds, Cas, Bradford, Huddersfield, Wakefield and even Featherstone and sometimes Halifax, then all the football teams which is still the most popular sport around here if not the most successful, Leeds, Huddersfield, Sheffield Utd, Sheffield Wednesday, Bradford City, Rotherham.

All I was saying is there's a lot to go at before the Bulldogs or the Rams etc get a mention. Even if they're cup winners or go through a season unbeaten etc.

SIGNATURE

It's interesting that RL has grown up in effectively the most crowded sporting markets in the UK.

Here in the East of England (Bedfordshire, Cambs, Essex, Herts, Norfolk, Suffolk) there is a population of  ~6 million, which is slightly more than Yorkshire & a bit less than the Northwest. We have no premier league football, no top flight rugby league, rugby union, ice hockey. We do have a county cricket team (Essex, albeit in Division 2) and a couple of Elite league speedway teams though. 

Not a daft post really.

The bigger RL teams I refer to in the Yorkshire Look North/Calendar regions who get the exposure are Leeds, Cas, Bradford, Huddersfield, Wakefield and even Featherstone and sometimes Halifax, then all the football teams which is still the most popular sport around here if not the most successful, Leeds, Huddersfield, Sheffield Utd, Sheffield Wednesday, Bradford City, Rotherham.

But compare that to the Look NW/Granada TV region. Man United & Liverpool among the world's biggest sports clubs. Manchester City, with billions of oil wealth behind it. Everton & Burnley also in the premiership. That's before you start on the teams who've been in the premier league more recently than Leeds or the Sheffield teams - Wigan Athletic, Blackburn, Bolton, Blackpool. And then a whole host of others in the football league - Preston North End, Oldham, Rochdale, Bury, Tranmere, Fleetwood, Crewe, Morecambe, Accrington. Even in the football conference,  there's 4-5 teams from the NW vs just Halifax in Yorkshire.

It's interesting that RL has grown up in effectively the most crowded sporting markets in the UK.

Here in the East of England (Bedfordshire, Cambs, Essex, Herts, Norfolk, Suffolk) there is a population of  ~6 million, which is slightly more than Yorkshire & a bit less than the Northwest. We have no premier league football, no top flight rugby league, rugby union, ice hockey. We do have a county cricket team (Essex, albeit in Division 2) and a couple of Elite league speedway teams though. 

Yeah, but you do have Peterborough United which is better than all the North West's sporting clubs put together.

But compare that to the Look NW/Granada TV region. Man United & Liverpool among the world's biggest sports clubs. Manchester City, with billions of oil wealth behind it. Everton & Burnley also in the premiership. That's before you start on the teams who've been in the premier league more recently than Leeds or the Sheffield teams - Wigan Athletic, Blackburn, Bolton, Blackpool. And then a whole host of others in the football league - Preston North End, Oldham, Rochdale, Bury, Tranmere, Fleetwood, Crewe, Morecambe, Accrington. Even in the football conference, there's 4-5 teams from the NW vs just Halifax in Yorkshire.

It doesn't matter how big the football club are, it's still football, and that gets more media coverage than rugby league, even at the level of team I mentioned. Only then does the RL come into it, and again, they're big clubs and a lot of them.

Anyway, I'm not one to argue for the sake of arguing but you carry on if you like. I've said it how it is and that's that.

SIGNATURE

We receive BBC North West here in North Wales (Yes, we've had electricity for quite some time now!!) which we watch for the local evening news (the missus is from the Wirral) and coverage of RL is improving I'd say but Oldham and Rochdale scarsely get a mention  and its only recently that the Championship has been getting mentioned - so Well Done to Leigh for their impressive PR.

Sadly BBC Wales don't even answer e-mails regarding rugby league and getting it recognised on BBC Wales and S4C is an uphill battle.

Leigh's recent successes and aquisitions have undoubtedly created interest both in the town and the media , i'd suggest to the other Championship clubs to use the new structure and the visits of the Bulls specifically but also London to encourage local media to take more of an interest , get on the phone , speak to them , find a community or a peronal interest story to get them down , search out who last played when you beat the Bulls ? , get them down and invite interviews with them

Time to milk the Bulls

Good work, inviting the media to have this level of access. Leigh seems to be a positive story overall these days.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived