Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, Injuries ...

Parramatta has stopped paying Michael Jennings’ $8000 a week salary while he is banned for alleged drug cheating.

Jennings was suspended by the NRL last October for returning a positive sample for banned substances Ligandrol and Ibutamoren and three of their metabolites.

The former Australian international currently works for a building company while he awaits a verdict.

It is said the Eels will continue to provide welfare support but have suspended the 32-year-old’s contract which expires at the end of the year.

Penrith will now turn their attention to star prop James Fisher-Harris after confirming the re-signings of star duo Stephen Crichton and Jarome Luai this week.

Crichton penned a new deal until the end of the 2023 season on Wednesday before the club confirmed the extension of promising five-eighth Luai until 2024 later in the week.

The duo of signings on top of newly-appointed co-captain Isaah Yeo’s new four-year deal has lifted plenty of pressure off of the Panthers’ shoulders ahead of this season’s open market.

• Like 1

NRL head of football Graham Annesley has flagged the league will consider altering the new rules introduced into the game should they show little or negative impacts on the game.

The ARL Commission introduced eight new rules for the 2021 season in hope of making the game more exciting and free flowing, while many have hit back with criticism on several of the new rules.

Scrums are set to be replaced with a play-the-ball when players in possession go into touch, with some criticism stating the change could end up causing more stoppages than before.

Annesley revealed to NRL.com that the league would look to tweak rules where needed to ensure their goal of limiting stoppages in a more unpredictable game format following a trial run.

Read the full story HERE

Edited by Graham

3 hours ago, Graham said:

NRL head of football Graham Annesley has flagged the league will consider altering the new rules introduced into the game should they show little or negative impacts on the game.

The ARL Commission introduced eight new rules for the 2021 season in hope of making the game more exciting and free flowing, while many have hit back with criticism on several of the new rules.

Scrums are set to be replaced with a play-the-ball when players in possession go into touch, with some criticism stating the change could end up causing more stoppages than before.

Annesley revealed to NRL.com that the league would look to tweak rules where needed to ensure their goal of limiting stoppages in a more unpredictable game format following a trial run.

Read the full story HERE

How about stop messing with the rules so much? 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DoubleD said:

How about stop messing with the rules so much? 🤷‍♂️

It is a lot isn`t it, 8 in one go, but it seems that`s how V`landy`s operates, from the day he bought a pub, while still  a student, to his time as CEO of Harness Racing Australia, which was an absolute basket case and he turned it around in two years, then CEO of Racing NSW, and what he has done there beggars belief, to be perfectly frank Double, I think we just have to sit back and see where this bloke will take us.

One thing that should give us faith that he won`t change the game, on the field that is, beyond recognition is that he played the game and loves the game and is not some technocrat coming in from outside with no background in the game and making wholesale changes. I`d be more worried about that.

BTW he played with Gary Jack as a teenager in Woollongong, Jack reckons he could of played first grade if he stuck at it, but got sidetracked with a few other things.

3 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

It is a lot isn`t it, 8 in one go, but it seems that`s how V`landy`s operates, from the day he bought a pub, while still  a student, to his time as CEO of Harness Racing Australia, which was an absolute basket case and he turned it around in two years, then CEO of Racing NSW, and what he has done there beggars belief, to be perfectly frank Double, I think we just have to sit back and see where this bloke will take us.

One thing that should give us faith that he won`t change the game, on the field that is, beyond recognition is that he played the game and loves the game and is not some technocrat coming in from outside with no background in the game and making wholesale changes. I`d be more worried about that.

BTW he played with Gary Jack as a teenager in Woollongong, Jack reckons he could of played first grade if he stuck at it, but got sidetracked with a few other things.

I don’t think it’s V’landys, these incessant changes have been happening a long time before he came on the scene. The 20-40 seems pointless, as do a couple of other ones for this year such as the tap which doesn’t speed up the game and allows the defence to reset, whereas a scrum allowed greater opportunity for the attacking side

16 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I don’t think it’s V’landys, these incessant changes have been happening a long time before he came on the scene. The 20-40 seems pointless, as do a couple of other ones for this year such as the tap which doesn’t speed up the game and allows the defence to reset, whereas a scrum allowed greater opportunity for the attacking side

True but they have certainly accelerated. As far as the 20/40 well it`s just another rule that sits in the books and is hardly ever used, little bit like the rule where a team taking a 20 metre tap can instead kick the ball over the sideline, instead of taking the tap, and get the feed down field, rarely used but I have seen it used effectively when a team is desperate to get the ball back at the end of a game. Perhaps 20/40 could serve a similar purpose sometimes. Another thing I like about 40/20, 20/40 is that it often forces the defending team to drop their wingers back, thereby shortening the defensive line, teams are more likely to go for the overlap if the wingers are back and I like anything that encourages backline play.

Taps instead of scrums, I`m not sure about that either, it doesn`t look like League to me, have to admit though the bit I saw of your comp this year I was surprised how I didn`t notice the scrums were missing, but I`m still not sure about it.

Victorian junior Dean Ieremia promoted to Melbourne Storm's top 30 squad (msn.com)

Really heartening to see genuine born and bred Victorians breaking into the NRL. This is what expansion is all about.

Dean Ieremia played both afl and League and chose the Rugby League route.

The Storm are such a clever club, their ` You can play both codes` campaign last year was such a great idea and for a sport in foreign territory puts the idea into kids heads that they can try something different. Brilliant. 

• Like 2

The NRL have announced that the Adelaide Oval will host a State of Origin match in 2023, ensuring the series will see one game held on neutral turf for the next three years.

In an announcement with the South Australian Government, the NRL confirmed the league would head back to Adelaide following the success of the 2020 series opener.

A reduced crowd of 25,218 saw Queensland upset the Blues 18-14 to take a 1-0 series lead in November last year, after a delayed start due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

• Thanks 1

As bloody usual Foxtel showing Nine how it should be done. 

There is a promo running on Nine at the moment, which is quite stirring, has a great scene with JWH beating his chest after something big must have happened on the field, there`s another shot of Corey Oates mouthing the `F` word which funny enough doesn`t come across as offensive, in fact probably a little bit comical because the insinuation is that  Corey just put down another bomb, apparently he is quite a fan favourite with the kids up in Queensland.

Anyway I would just like to see it a bit more often with only a week to go.

On 01/03/2021 at 09:53, The Rocket said:

Victorian junior Dean Ieremia promoted to Melbourne Storm's top 30 squad (msn.com)

Really heartening to see genuine born and bred Victorians breaking into the NRL. This is what expansion is all about.

Dean Ieremia played both afl and League and chose the Rugby League route.

The Storm are such a clever club, their ` You can play both codes` campaign last year was such a great idea and for a sport in foreign territory puts the idea into kids heads that they can try something different. Brilliant. 

Been watching highlights of the Victoria Thunderbolts S. G. Ball games on YouTube. They were well beaten last time out by the Roosters, but the other two games they`ve played (one postponed) were a win and a draw. Their fullback Sualauvi Faalogo looks dynamic. Don`t know if he`s on anyone`s radar but presumably he`s another local product.

• Like 1

NRL 2021 Road to Regions: Adelaide - NRL

I had no idea that the `Road to Regions` went outside NSW, I`ve only seen it around NSW so to see it in South Australia is great and it looks like they had a good turn-out. And having Alan Tongue involved is great as well, one of the true gentlemen of League.

BTW saw a clip in there of kids playing a `captains ball` type game, I always thought that was a great way to teach kids passing while making a fun game out of it, instead of throwing the ball back to the Captain `netball/basketball` style get the kids to pass it League style. You could even do a version with a play-the -ball and pass.

I remember when I was about 8 and moved to the country the school used to go to a park and play it in teams while racing each other, it was thrilling and a lot of fun. Great way to introduce kids to the basics.

Edited by The Rocket
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

No mate I disagree, it`s just not necessary, the attitude " 1000 beers", " pull something, anything will do" is wrong and sends out the wrong message, it`s demeaning to women.

League in this country is struggling to make any headway out of its traditional demographic and comments like that only confirm its lower socio-economic image, and that`s probably an insult to all the respectable people that are included in this group who wouldn`t say such a thing.

I like what V`landy`s and Abdo are trying to do with the games image, professional game played by professionals and if you have those sort of opinions keep them to yourself.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

He was wrong to be flippant and demeaning. I thought players were trained on how to talk to the media. I agree we need to present the game and its player in the best light.

We know for what he went on to say that he didn’t actually mean it.

Maybe the problem is that is the sort of comment he might have got away with on one of the weak comedy slots on for example Matt Johns Show. Now such a lot of that ‘comedy’ is flippant and weak.

Edited by Graham
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, The Rocket said:

No mate I disagree, it`s just not necessary, the attitude " 1000 beers", " pull something, anything will do" is wrong and sends out the wrong message, it`s demeaning to women.

League in this country is struggling to make any headway out of its traditional demographic and comments like that only confirm its lower socio-economic image, and that`s probably an insult to all the respectable people that are included in this group who wouldn`t say such a thing.

I like what V`landy`s and Abdo are trying to do with the games image, professional game played by professionals and if you have those sort of opinions keep them to yourself.

How do they know he’s talking about women? Very sexist inference 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Graham said:

He was wrong to be flippant and demeaning. I thought players were trained on how to talk to the media. I agree we need to present the game and its player in the best light.

We know for what he went on to say that he didn’t actually mean it.

Maybe the problem is that is the sort of comment he might have got away with on one of the weak comedy slots on for example Matt Johns Show. Now such a lot of that ‘comedy’ is flippant and weak.

Yes Graham there was similar comment in the papers, along the lines of `you stick a microphone in front of someone who has just come off after a big win and you`re asking for trouble`, it`s probably why we hear the f-bomb so often, which to be frank doesn`t really bother me, most players apologise after that and you cut them a bit of slack.

But the Toby Rudolph comments go a bit far for a sport that is trying to present itself as professional and trying desperately to reach into new markets, both sponsors and fans. Can you imagine any other industry where someone celebrated a big deal or sale and then fronted the cameras and said something like that, especially the " something, anything will do" part.

We often hear talk about how some coaches not only get the best out of players but also strive to make them better people, instead of just paying lip-service to statements like that clubs should actually mean it.

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

How do they know he’s talking about women? Very sexist inference 

Ooh.... You are awful, but I like you.

BBC Two - Ooh... You Are Awful!, Ooh You Are Awful... But I Like You!

One for the politically incorrect, but hey we`re allowed to have a bit of fun on here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1