Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, Injuries ...

Here's what they are quoted as saying:

"We see ourselves as a natural fit with the club," ARL chairman Cameron McGregor told the Herald. "We have had discussions with the owners of the Warriors and they have been encouraging so far. We have a long standing commitment to development, and to the grassroots of the game, and we believe that this would be a good step forward. We think it would be a major boost for the sport in this country."

The ARL, who were the original owners of the club when it was set up in 1995, would look to own the Warriors in conjunction with a corporate partner.

"There is obviously a football side and a business side to the operation," said McGregor. "We would be involved with a corporate but the ARL would be the majority shareholder."

The ARL has yet to undertake due diligence, and that would only be completed once a sale agreement has been signed.

The ARL are one of the richest regional sporting bodies in the country. Their stake in the Carlaw Park Heritage Trust is worth an estimated $60 million, but most of that is tied up in property and returns a vital dividend to the local game each year.

McGregor said they have "sufficient funds available" to purchase a share of the club.

McGregor also said that the proposal has been discussed with the clubs. It's likely the development will be greeted positively by the local league community.

Edited by Graham

273AFB8B-A153-4F87-AB3C-F55FE5C757CC-484-00000056B4307B3C.jpeg.29eff34d80fd0a5434fbfa8ae7ab4a45.jpegThe South Sydney Rabbitohs have re-signed Sam Johnstone, Ky Rodwell and Lucky Ta’avale for 2018 and beyond.

Johnstone, 19, is a front-row forward from Mackay in Queensland, who came to Sydney in 2016 to play with the South Sydney under 18s SG Ball team.

Edited by Graham

North Queensland forward Shaun Fensom has undergone surgery on Monday after suffering a broken leg early in the Cowboys' 34-6 NRL grand final loss to Melbourne at ANZ Stadium on Sunday night.

Fensom was taken from the field in a medicab in just the third minute of the premiership decider after fellow forward Ethan Lowe fell on his teammate's leg while both players tried to make a tackle.

The former Canberra Raiders player was taken to Royal Prince Alfred hospital where he will undergo open reduction internal fixation (ORIF) – a surgical procedure to fix a severe bone fracture, or break. 

The open reduction will realign the bone fracture into the normal position, with internal fixation likely to require steel rods, screws, or plates to keep the bone fracture stable.

Coen Hess has taken stock of the Grand Final experience and has worked some positives out of it for him:

Hess experienced the highs of winning a State of Origin series alongside Storm trio Billy Slater, Cooper Cronk and Cameron Smith back in July, but was now on the receiving end of their class.

"I learnt a lot from those boys around Origin camp and tonight goes to show how good they are at their job," he said.

"They're just too good."

One of just five players in the Cowboys line-up yet to play in a decider heading into the clash, the 21-year-old believes he will become a better player for the experience.

"There is a lot of hype and commitments to do throughout the week," Hess said.

"It's not just about turning up on game day and playing.

"It's been a really good week, I've learnt a lot and something that every footy player should enjoy and encounter through their career."

With a berth in the Australian squad for the Rugby League World Cup named on Tuesday unlikely, Hess indicated his body needed a break.

"The year that I've had I'll look forward to a few more sleep-ins here or there," he said.

"I'll make sure I'm in a good condition come pre-season."

DLDAYX2VAAAkuyz.jpg.58bee7675b1077245db7c53145f1d6a5.jpg

Knowing how much pain and dedicated hard work it took for Billy Slater to get back on the park playing this season and to a high standard, it is with relief that I read the announcement that he will be signing a new one year contract with Storm for 2018.

It has taken a huge amount of effort for Billy to fight back from his serious injury that could have finished most players' careers.

I hope Billy has made the right decision for himself and his family.

Billy Slater to sign new one-year deal with Melbourne Storm and play on through 2018

Melbourne Storm champion Billy Slater will play on in 2018.

The Clive Churchill Medallist dropped the bombshell at the Storm’s Player of the Year gala at Crown in Melbourne.

The 299-game veteran fully committed to Storm for another season following Sunday’s night’s grand final demolition.

“I’ve worked out what I want to do next year and that is to play on,” Slater said.

Billy Slater will play on for one more year. (Photo by Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images)Billy Slater will play on for one more year. (Photo by Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images)Source: Getty Images

“Obviously the grand final was my priority through the finals series I hadn’t given it too much thought it’s always been physical decision for me and my body is feeling quite good and I’m ready to go around another year so I’m looking forward to it.”

The new deal puts Slater in a position to reach major milestones next season, including his 300th game in Round 1 and 30th Origin appearance for Queensland in July.

It’s a major boost for the premiers after Cooper Cronk’s well documented move to Sydney.

Edited by Graham
  • Like 1

59d3e1a4686e2_samw.jpg.87cac066f49cda0b8f169f3f0ddcdae4.jpg

Canberra favourite Sam Williams will return to the club next season.

Raiders have signed the halfback on a two-year-deal.

Spending this season with Wakefield in the Super League, Williams is a Raiders junior.

Having made his first grade debut with the club in 2011, the 26-year-old has spent time with the Dragons and French-based Super League team Catalans.

Raiders have also signed former Cowboy Cooper Bambling.

The former Holden Cup half joins the Raiders on a development deal after playing 2017 in the Q Cup.

The 21-year-old has been playing for Mackay after graduating from the NYC

Edited by Graham

59d3e2520409a_JorgeTaufua.thumb.jpg.f7f67638cc6eb2a73e7efeed7f1167e3.jpg

Manly have re-signed winger Jorge Taufua. Market Watch can reveal the flyer has inked a new two-year-deal.

While a season-ending knee injury sidelined him early in the season, the Sea Eagles delivered on their promise to take care of the hard runner.

The 25-year-old made his first grade debut for the club in 2012 with his career on the beaches to continue until at least the end of 2019.

JT - the Jason Taumalolo variety - has opted to play for Tonga in the World Cup

He's eligible for play for Tonga, and NZ by the current international qualification rules. As a youngster he could have chosen Australia too.

Good on him, I say!

He's what he's had to say on the matter.

Jason Taumalolo believes the Rugby League World Cup is an opportunity to promote Tonga on the international stage and has chosen to play for the Mata Ma'a as he did at the 2013 tournament.

Taumalolo, regarded as one of the best forwards in the game, has provided a massive boost for Tonga's World Cup campaign by deciding to make himself available for Kristian Woolf's team ahead of New Zealand.

However, he insisted he wasn't turning his back on the Kiwis and still hoped to continue his 10 Test career in the black jersey after the World Cup.

After playing for Tonga at the last World Cup in England, Taumalolo said he was keen to do so again and believed the tournament was a time when developing nations could compete on an even footing with the likes of Australia, New Zealand and England. 

"I really enjoyed my time within the Tongan World Cup Squad last time and have had a long-time association with Tongan coach Kristian Woolf," Taumalolo said in a statement.

Under the new international eligibility rules, Taumalolo is able to choose between the Kiwis and the Mata Ma'a, for whom he qualifies through his Tonga-born parents.

He was also eligible for Australia after moving across the Tasman before the age of 13 but chose to play for New Zealand in 2014 and cannot change allegiances between tier-one countries.

"I see with the new international rule change an opportunity to represent both Tonga and NZ throughout my career," he said.

Not sure I like the ability for a player to play for more than one country by switching back and forth. Still on this occasion I feel the bloke has done a good thing!

Matt Moylan has offers to leave Penrith for Cronulla and Wests Tigers - with a move possibly coming about via a player swap for Sharks premiership winner James Maloney.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported the developments, saying Moylan had a four-year, $3.6 million deal tabled by the Sharks that was on the brink of being sealed, plus a three-year, $2.5 million offer from Wests Tigers - coached by his old Panthers mentor Ivan Cleary.

With Moylan, 26, keen on playing five-eighth and Josh Reynolds locked in as Tigers No.6 next season, the joint venture is considered a long shot. Moylan could slot straight in at five-eighth should he swap places with Maloney, who had a spat with Cronulla this year over his relatively low pay of about $600,000 per season.

Penrith are reluctant to let Moylan walk without compensation, the SMH reports, hence the Maloney swap idea - while a transfer fee of $250,000 per season left on Moylan’s four-year deal ($1 million) may be another option.

Should the Sharks try to lure Moylan without sending Maloney to the Panthers, Cronulla’s line-up plans for next season would look different.

Foxsports.com.au’s Market Watch reported last week that the Sharks were interested in Moylan as a fullback short-term, due to some teething problems with Test winger Valentine Holmes in the No.1 jersey. Moylan could then move to No.6 and Holmes back to No.1 should Maloney end his contract and move on after next season.

While speculation is raging, Penrith’s first preference remains to keep Moylan at the club, despite this situation arising over dissatisfaction with his attitude.

Panthers are not letting Moylan go easily.

They have put a big price tag on him for himself to pay.

$250,000 a year x4 (4 years) = $1m

Apparently this cost would come to him and not any club he might go to.

Can you believe that? 

So, say he stays but is unhappy feeling trapped. Is that a result?

Edited by Graham

More to the Taumololo story than meets the eye?

Taumalolo in a statement: "I just feel the World Cup provides developing nations like Tonga an opportunity to play on the big stage and I would like to help them with their campaign."

Nobody seems to be buying it.

Most seem to think he's angry with the decision to ban New Zealand captain Jesse Bromwich and senior player Kevin Proctor from playing in the World Cup after they were busted snorting lines of cocaine off a drug dealer's iPhone, which they are not really designed for if you check the instruction manual.

3 minutes ago, Graham said:

More to the Taumololo story than meets the eye?

or you could say ...

the decisions of Jason Taumalolo, Andrew Fifita, Manu Ma'u, David Fusita and Sio Siua Taukeiaho to turn their backs on New Zealand and Australia respectively in favour of Tonga are so significant. They give the game's changing set of values a human face; they show rank-and-file NRL fans that progress really is being made.

When I saw this my first thought was to check the date! http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/41511809

He won't be offering much but there is plenty to learn, but does if have the capacity to?

Good luck to him.  Steve McNamara benefitted from his time over here so Agar may do as well, their careers seem to have followed in parallel over the years so maybe Agar will become Head Coach of Toulouse down the line?

If you like old type radio comedy/drama's etc listen to http://pumpkinfm.com/

The Moylan saga is apparently over...

THE saga is over. Matt Moylan is staying at Penrith.

Channel Nine has reported Moylan’s manager Allan Gainey on Friday informed rival clubs the star playmaker will remain at the Panthers.

It comes after reports emerged Penrith had slapped a $250,000-per-year transfer fee on Moylan which would have seen the five-eighth fork out $1 million over four years if he had broken his contract.

Cronulla, Wests Tigers, and Manly were among a number of clubs believed to be interested in luring Moylan away from the foot of the mountains.

Moylan was stood down indefinitely towards the end of the season and hasn’t been heard from since.

... but how will he react. Will be interested to see if he really does stay and if so how he plays.

Broncos Chairman leaves:

Brisbane chairman Dennis Watt says the time is right to step aside, despite the frustration of coming close but falling short of another NRL premiership.

Watt announced on Friday he was stepping down from the role he took up in 2013, having been a Broncos board member since 2003.

He will remain at the club until the end of the year, with the search on to find his replacement.

While the Broncos have always fielded a competitive team, Watt has helped lift the club’s support base and establish Brisbane as a leading commercial sporting brand in the country.

4 hours ago, Graham said:

The Moylan saga is apparently over...

... but how will he react. Will be interested to see if he really does stay and if so how he plays.

As you say this will be interesting to see how things go at Penrith. This has the potential to disrupt the whole club if not professionally handled by all sides. If Moylan decides to sit it out then its a waste of not just a player, but also a good chunk of salary cap money.