Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, Injuries ...

Manly forward Lloyd Perrett has revealed he feared for his life after he suffered a seizure and heat stroke when he collapsed at training last month.

Perrett, 23, sparked serious concerns in January when he collapsed twice at a training run at Narrabeen from what was thought to be heat exhaustion.

“I woke up thinking what happened? I’m about to die. I had no understanding of what had gone on,” he told foxsports.com.au.

Perrett was rushed to emergency in the back of an ambulance and was told by doctors that heat stroke had a potential fatality rate of 80 per cent. Temporarily paralysed, the young forward thought he “must be dying” when he regained consciousness in hospital.

Read the full article here - CLICK

Manly front-rower Darcy Lussick will miss up to four weeks of the NRL season start but feared it would be much worse.

Lussick heard a worrying crack in his ankle after taking the first hit up in Saturday’s trial loss to Cronulla.

Limping around with a moon boot on his right leg on Monday, the prop said he had been diagnosed with a high ankle sprain and would be out for four to six weeks. “I was fearing the worst,” Lussick said.

Lussick could miss the opening weeks of the NRL season.Source: News Corp Australia

“I’ve never had a problem with my ankle and one of their big fellas came down and fell on it. There was nothing I could do.” Lussick had sent social media into a spin when he sent a message that he was giving away the boots he used in the trial match, with some interpreting it as him being ruled out for the season.

“I still am looking forward to a big 2018,” Lussick said.

Storm fullback Billy Slater gave a young Rhinos fan a memory he won't forget on Friday night.

Following Melbourne's strong win in the 2018 Downer World Club Challenge over Leeds, Slater approached a young fan sitting in the Rhinos traveling supporter bay and handed over his winner's medal.

The young fan, who had made the trip to Melbourne from England with his family was visibility thrilled after the meeting with rugby league loyalty.

EFB5D86D-BBED-4372-B0E0-96719700C993.thumb.jpeg.60468be74337193c4b04e1d5a643f399.jpeg

Edited by Graham
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Graham said:

Storm fullback Billy Slater gave a young Rhinos fan a memory he won't forget on Friday night.

Following Melbourne's strong win in the 2018 Downer World Club Challenge over Leeds, Slater approached a young fan sitting in the Rhinos traveling supporter bay and handed over his winner's medal.

The young fan, who had made the trip to Melbourne from England with his family was visibility thrilled after the meeting with rugby league loyalty.

EFB5D86D-BBED-4372-B0E0-96719700C993.thumb.jpeg.60468be74337193c4b04e1d5a643f399.jpeg

A heart warming story I do hope that medal doesn't  end up on EBAY!

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Don't think it will... hopefully. The experience of travelling all the way to Australia and being at that game together with a personal gift as an act of kindness from one of the most famous players in the game will surely mean too much to allow it to be parted with.

It is good to see that Billy was up and about and able to receive his medal and donate it like this. Hopefully that means his withdrawal  from the second half means it was more of a precaution than anything more worryingly serious.

• Like 1

I see ageing hack Booze Rothfield is having a go at Cam Smith for elbow tapping Matt Parcells head after he was speared tackled by him. The NRL farcically gives him a written warning, but as we know they will let far worse slide during the season!

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/opinion/phil-rothfield/blog-with-buzz-rothfield-nrl-goes-soft-on-cameron-smith-elbowing-incident-in-wcc/news-story/8bcb34054490c21db0394ca97d13a9fd

Edited by Blotto

If you like old type radio comedy/drama's etc listen to http://pumpkinfm.com/

Bulldogs centre and NRL veteran Josh Morris has spoken of the difference between new coach Dean Pay and former leader Des Hasler.

Hasler was shown the door by the Bulldogs board in September last year, who claimed ''the decision to change our football leadership was absolutely necessary''.

The 57-year-old was at the helm of the Doggies between 2012 and 2017 where he oversaw 88 wins from his 155 games in charge.

Pay left his post at Canberra, where he served five years as Ricky Stuart's assistant after previously doing a year with Stuart at Parramatta. 

Morris is entering his twelfth season in the NRL, and 10th with the Bulldogs, and he believes the squad has been refreshed with the change of leadership.

"He's a lot more relaxed than what we have had with Des," Morris said.

"He's got his own views and his own philosophies.

"He likes to back the players and let them play to their strengths."

Morris is also aware of less structure and restriction at Belmore with Pay running the show.

The coach isn't the only change at the Bulldogs, however, with a number of players heading in and out of the club over the off-season.

Core members Josh Reynolds, James Graham and Sam Kasiano all left the club, while Kieren Foran and Aaron Woods have boosted the ranks.

27-year-old and incumbent Blues forward Josh Jackson has also been named the new captain, and Morris has already noticed a shift in attitude.

"There has been a bit of a change, there's been a few players added to the leadership group and they've taken that with both hands," Morris said.

"You have blokes like Kieren and Aaron come across, while we have lost players like Josh and James, these players definitely fill the void."

Canterbury bested the Canberra Raiders 16-12 in their first trial match of the season last Saturday, with Foran and hooker Michael Lichaa starring.

The Bulldogs begin their 2018 campaign on Saturday, March 10 against the reigning premiers Melbourne Storm at Optus Stadium in Perth.

The club has undergone more changes in recent weeks, with chairman Ray Dib and the majority of his board being overthrown in a dramatic end to the Bulldogs' acrimonious board elections.

Edited by Graham

Roosters have received a huge boost ahead of the season opener with news emerging that star half Luke Keary is on track for a Round One return from a broken jaw.

Roosters co-captain Boyd Cordner said Keary is a chance to play their trial match against Manly in Gosford this weekend which means he’ll be right to start the season despite breaking his jaw in late. Keary won’t be risked this weekend.

“In an opposed session he was unlucky to cop a hit,” Cordner said

Other good news on the injury front:

Brisbane ace Anthony Milford also poised to return.

After finishing the year for the Broncos with a busted shoulder, Milford has been on ice after requiring reconstructive surgery to fix the problem.

Having been diligent in his rehabilitation, it’s understood the 23-year-old is a chance to play the Broncos’ trial this weekend but if he is rested, will be a certainly to start the season.

The collective rugby league world held its breath when Billy Slater fell to the ground with his left arm extended in last Friday’s World Club Challenge but the champion Storm fullback has been cleared of any damage.

Edited by Graham

1 hour ago, Graham said:

.../...

The collective rugby league world held its breath when Billy Slater fell to the ground with his left arm extended in last Friday’s World Club Challenge but the champion Storm fullback has been cleared of any damage.

Bloody voodoo dolls. Gotta ask for a refund.

Up, up Cronulla; The boys in the black, white and blue; Up, up Cronulla; Name of the Sharks fits you; Sharks, Sharks forever; Go out and play without fear; Now's the time to see good football*; For the Sharks are here!

* Subject to change

Currently playing: Gorbachev: The Fall of Communism & Swing States 2012

9 hours ago, Graham said:

I can’t believe you would resort to such a purchase.

Talking of Paul Gallen, where did you get it from and how much was it??

:D

Don't be daft. Sometimes, it's better not to tell. :tongue:

One thing though, stuff out of the dark web can be really expensive.

Edit: My Burgess twins doll has never let me down. Expect plenty more dropped balls again this year.

Edited by Vichyssoise
  • Haha 1

Up, up Cronulla; The boys in the black, white and blue; Up, up Cronulla; Name of the Sharks fits you; Sharks, Sharks forever; Go out and play without fear; Now's the time to see good football*; For the Sharks are here!

* Subject to change

On ‎19‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 10:18 PM, Davo5 said:

Boyd Cordner signs new 5yr deal at the Roosters.

Hope he gets the mumps like all his poxy mates.

Edited by RabbitRhinoovOZ

Remember Chris Houston (Dragons and Knights) he’s now with Widnes in what one Sydney paper has dubbed Blooper League after the Storm heavy punishment of Leeds Rhinos.

Widnes Vikings have accepted Chris Houston's two-match ban after knocking over referee Phil Bentham during Thursday's Super League clash against Warrington.

Bentham was forced from the field in the 68th minute of the game at the Select Security Stadium, with Scott Mikalauskas taking over as the man in the middle.

Houston collided with Ref Bentham in a recent game.

Houston was initially put on report and was then issued with a two-game penalty notice yesterday by the RFL's Match Review Panel, a charge Widnes have decided not to challenge.

The 33-year-old will now miss the Vikings next two Super League matches at home to Leeds Rhinos on Sunday and away to Wigan Warriors the following Friday.

4 minutes ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Salty

Not sure what salty is but if it means I hate the Roosters then call me salty.

The Burgess clan is set to grow by one in 2018, with South Sydney prop George Burgess announcing his wife Joanna is expecting their second child.

The powerhouse prop, who will line-up in the Charity Shield this weekend, took to social media on Wednesday to spruik the great news.

“We are very happy to announce that baby # 2 is on their way and kicking along perfectly!!” Burgess posted on Instagram.

“We are both super excited to welcome a little brother or sister for Boston in August.

Corey Oates walked away from Brisbane Broncos training on Wednesday to his car with a bulked-up frame so impressive it appeared he had been bench-pressing Mallee Bulls.

His powerful, athletic 192cm and 105kg build is just one reason why Matt Gillett believes the 23-year-old's determination to make the transition from wing to the back-row can be a success.

"I think Oatesy can turn into a great back-rower," Gillett said. "He has definitely got the size and speed. He is just starting to learn that role at the moment. He is training well and we’ll just have to see how it pans out for him."

Oates scored a try after he came off the bench to play in the back-row in the trial win over the Gold Coast Titans last Saturday and has been named in the same position for Saturday's trial against the PNG Hunters in Port Moresby.

The Burgess clan is set to grow by one in 2018, with South Sydney prop George Burgess announcing his wife Joanna is expecting their second child.

I hope the poor kids are fitted with parachutes... falls can be deadly.

Congrats to the young lad and his wife.

But, really? Boston? What's next? New York? Chicago? Detroit? Bradford?

Edited by Vichyssoise
Added a quote for clarity

* Subject to change

12 hours ago, Vichyssoise said:

I hope the poor kids are fitted with parachutes... falls can be deadly.

Congrats to the young lad and his wife.

But, really? Boston? What's next? New York? Chicago? Detroit? Bradford?

How about Cleckheaton for a boy or Heckmondwike if it’s a girl?

The message from Ivan Cleary is loud and clear — nobody at Wests Tigers is guaranteed a start for Round 1.

Doesn’t matter who you are, how you played last season or anything else — competition, every day on the training paddock, will determine Cleary’s best 17.

Most had all but pencilled Tui Lolohea in as the club’s fullback for the season opener against the Roosters.

Lolohea played some of the best footy of his career since transferring from the Warriors last season and starred for Tonga in the World Cup.

But that doesn’t matter now. The light-stepping 23-year old has been relegated to the reserve grade trial this week behind Corey Thompson.

Similarly, Taane Milne was a revelation for Fiji and was pegged as a definite starter at right centre after joining the club from St George Illawarra.

But instead he’s on the bench, behind Kevin Naiqama and Esan Marsters.

Neither of them are kicking stones and both plan to make it back into the top team, but their demotion illustrates the new ethos Cleary is building at the Tigers.

“Me and Ivan had a good chat and there’s things I need to do, so I get a good chance this week to play reggies,” Lolohea said

“We don’t really want to make a big deal of it.”

“It’s good to have a lot of pressure around the club. I just want to get an 80 minute performance this week.”

Lolohea had a mixed bag in the trial game against North Queensland last week, making a break with his first touch, but also struggling to field some loose balls, a consequence of his still developing skills as a fullback.

The former Warrior has worked extensively with 2005 premiership winner Brett Hodgson, a new addition to the Tigers coaching staff, in order to improve his mastery of the position.

No spot in the outside backs is certain, especially in the centres, but Milne believes the rivalries will only make the team stronger in the long run.

“Every day at training we’re competing for spots,” Milne said.

“Everyone knows it’s going to be a competition and everyone’s working hard.

“Whoever they pick there, we’ve got a lot of confidence in them and we’ve got a lot of depth, so it’s good for the club.”

The Fijian international says a major focus of his pre-season has been adapting to the new defensive systems at the Tigers, particularly with fellow recruit Josh Reynolds.

“It’s a lot different to what I’m used to. I’m improving on that, working together with the coaches and the boys,” he said.

“Getting used to different combinations. We’re a new team and we’re building.”

In other team news, promising hooker Jacob Liddle confirmed he would miss the start of the season as he continued to rehab a shoulder injury.

While no definite return date has been set, Liddle is confident he’ll be back on the park in the opening stages of the season.

“It’s coming along well, but there’s still a couple of weeks to go. Starting weights on it, haven’t started contact, but it’s feeling really good,” Liddle told The Daily Telegraph.

“It’s a bit grey, but they won’t tell me much. Still have to build it up and make it strong again.”

Matty Johns has slammed “frivolous” talk of expansion in the NRL and outlined his vision, including a radical move that would see the inclusion of a Pacific Islands team. The ink is only just dry on the confirmation of Peter Beattie’s ascension to the chairmanship of the ARL Commission but Johns has already expressed his concern at the former Queensland premier’s talk of expansion two weeks out from the start of the 2018 NRL season.

Speaking on Triple M’s The Grill Team on Thursday morning, Johns said that the NRL risks weakening its status just as it builds to a position of strength.

The Knights legend believes any new teams must be based where an existing rugby league footprint already exists.

“I don’t want to sound conservative but the talk of expansion… frivolous talk of expansion really worries me,” said Johns, host of Sunday Night with Matty Johns on Fox League.

“I’m an advocate of expanding the competition but we’ve got to be really careful where we pick to add to the competition.

“This could be the best year possibly in 20-30 years because for the first time for a long time we’re seeing that most clubs — not all clubs — but most clubs having depth in player talent.

“If you expand to markets that have little or no junior base it drains and weakens the other clubs so it weakens the competition.

“If we were to set up a team tomorrow in Adelaide for instance, think about your team and think about every team in the competition.

“Take a very good player out of your side, take out a very good honest player, and take out a very good up and coming player.

“Take them out, because that’s what it does.

“I don’t know whether in the next couple of years we’ll be ready for that because I think at the moment we’re really just starting to bolster our stocks.”

If the NRL was to add new teams anytime soon Johns is an advocate for a second team in Brisbane and wants administrators to investigate the long-term viability of a team based out of a Pacific nation such as Fiji, Papua New Guinea, Samoa or Tonga.

“If you were to expand tomorrow and make a decision you must expand to markets that have a huge talent base,” said Johns.

“Western Brisbane is an absolute must, you’ve got to have another side to take on the Broncos in that area.

“It’s got the player talent and the talent base to be able to supply a team there.

“The other one would be a Pacific Islands team.

“That’s a long-term one but for me it’s a no-brainer because you’ve got huge oil companies there that will fund it and you’ve got a mass of talent there in the Pacific Islands.

“It’s a huge emerging market and for me it makes sense and would be tremendous for the competition.

“I’d love to see rugby league in Perth again but we must do it right in how we set it up and we must get the timing right.”

28165035_10155587042158074_8708438858785733029_o.thumb.jpg.10077477f985ebfc0c0be8936de3c521.jpg

Wests Tigers recruit Josh Reynolds has revealed he was in a state of panic on his way to his first training session with his new club, as the thought of lining up with new players, learning new structures and being an elder statesman in a younger team was almost too much for the 28-year-old.

Reynolds spent seven years at Belmore and played 138 matches for the Bulldogs, including two grand finals in 2012 and 2014 where he lost to Melbourne and Souths respectively.

After debuting for the club in 2011, Reynolds earned an Origin call-up in 2014 and said he fought back tears when telling his Bulldogs teammates of his decision to leave.

Despite the big change, Reynolds believes he has become refreshed after becoming too comfortable in the Doggies setup.

"It's definitely a bit different. Coming from the Dogs, being there for so many years, obviously having that tie, growing up there and stuff," Reynolds said.

"It's fresh for me. Being at the same place for a long time, you're used to everything, drop into first gear sometimes when you could go a bit harder.

"I overthink things a lot. I think of heaps of scenarios that can happen. I thought 'what if I get here and my first day I get a vibe and I can feel the boys are a bit weird with me.'

"On the way, it was a bit scary."