Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, Injuries ...

12 hours ago, Graham said:

21 year old Nick Cotric apparently won’t sign a new contract with Raiders but will instead take up a new and improved lucrative deal with Bulldogs.

Shame for the Raiders and quite a big gamble for him footy-wise given how utterly abject the Bulldogs are just now.

One thing that surprises me about the deal is that Cotric has apparently been assured that he'll play in the centres with the Bulldogs. I'm not sure how you give that guarantee when there's no coach in place. It might not go down well with an incoming coach either. I find it hard to believe that a new coach would be enamoured by being told by a Director of Football (or some such) that if they take the job they have to play a certain player they've just signed in a certain position. Puts lots of extra pressure on Cotric too. A pretty weird situation for me and in some ways shows a bit of desperation from the Bulldogs. A more confident team would say "No guarantees of anything - sign for us because we're going places and play your way into your favoured position".

17 minutes ago, DeadShotKeen said:

Shame for the Raiders and quite a big gamble for him footy-wise given how utterly abject the Bulldogs are just now.

One thing that surprises me about the deal is that Cotric has apparently been assured that he'll play in the centres with the Bulldogs. I'm not sure how you give that guarantee when there's no coach in place. It might not go down well with an incoming coach either. I find it hard to believe that a new coach would be enamoured by being told by a Director of Football (or some such) that if they take the job they have to play a certain player they've just signed in a certain position. Puts lots of extra pressure on Cotric too. A pretty weird situation for me and in some ways shows a bit of desperation from the Bulldogs. A more confident team would say "No guarantees of anything - sign for us because we're going places and play your way into your favoured position".

A day or two ago Ricky Stuart was confident Cotric would stay at Raiders. They thought the deal they offered him was an attractive one.

By that they meant less money per season ($150,000 less) but for for longer - five years rather than the Bulldogs three years.

At his age I’m guessing three years starting in 2021 is a long time and he’ll hopefully have plenty of time then to develop his career.

Cotric is obviously chasing the money, he won't win anything with the Dogs nor get the opportunities to impress with a struggling team no matter who else they sign. He's gone down in my estimation by taking this option.

36 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

Cotric is obviously chasing the money, he won't win anything with the Dogs nor get the opportunities to impress with a struggling team no matter who else they sign. He's gone down in my estimation by taking this option.

He's young, and now Dean Pay's role as coaching scapegoat is over, he might be in at the beginning of the same rebuild that Newcastle has undergone in the last few years. Him and Thompson from St Helens.

Then again, the Bulldogs may carry on being useless and his career will stagnate.

It could be a risk worth taking, but it is still a risk.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Is it just me that thinks Cotric is overrated? I wouldn’t pay him that, he’s a decent winger but not standout. He’s chunky so makes good yards but he’s not particularly mobile so not surprised he sees himself as a centre. He just doesn’t have the X factor of others I see so I wouldn’t be pushing the boat out offering him a lucrative contract if I was a club. That said, Canterbury are desperate 

Remember Jack de Belin?

Yes, that's him. He's still out of the game via the no fault stand down rule.

He still hasn't had his trial yet... the wheels of justice turn mightily slow sometimes.

Even so, apparently he is having interest shown in him apparently by Warriors.

Should he be found not guilty he could be in for a big pay rise if he transfers to them.

• Graham changed the title to Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, Injuries; de Belin
9 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Is it just me that thinks Cotric is overrated? I wouldn’t pay him that, he’s a decent winger but not standout. He’s chunky so makes good yards but he’s not particularly mobile so not surprised he sees himself as a centre. He just doesn’t have the X factor of others I see so I wouldn’t be pushing the boat out offering him a lucrative contract if I was a club. That said, Canterbury are desperate 

True, and with today's performance you can see why. Cottric on the wing  races up in defence every time and is often seen looking back as the play progresses behind him stood in no mans land.

Watching today's games emphasized my view that there are more poor team's in this year's comp than I have seen for a long time, how they are going to even it up for next year will be interesting.

Looks like Paul Green is leaving the Cowboys, and while Fifita's re-signed for the Broncos, it is just a one year deal.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Life’s up and downs eh?

It’s not long since Benji Marshall was dropped from the West’s Tigers’ team. Since his return and good form it’s reported that he will be offered a contract extension.

When dropped the media had him out on loan or heading to Super League. He doubled his efforts and fought back into the team with determination.

I think Cotric is superb personally. Safe as houses under the high ball and a brilliant metre maker for a winger. Generally needs 3 in the tackle to contain him. More in the Blake Ferguson mould than the spectacular finisher mould then perhaps but I'm not sure there's a better all-round winger in the comp. Whether he'll transition to the centres remains to be seen. I would have thought a pitch at FB would be the more natural promotion for his skill set but hey ho.

6 hours ago, DavidM said:

Alex Johnston cut by the Rabbits . 90odd tries in 130 games , he’ll be in big demand, rightly so

whATTTTT?

Now that's a shame.

I suppose it's a salary cap related decision by the club, even so that's a pity.

From the way he has spoken he liked it at Souths and wanted to stay there probably for his whole career, and the's only 25!

That shows how deep his feelings for the club were and therefore how upset he'll be that he's not high enough up the club's priorities.

Hey ho, their loss will be somebody else's gain.

Edited by Graham
  • Like 1

On 18/07/2020 at 16:01, Graham said:

Remember Jack de Belin?

Yes, that's him. He's still out of the game via the no fault stand down rule.

He still hasn't had his trial yet... the wheels of justice turn mightily slow sometimes.

Even so, apparently he is having interest shown in him apparently by Warriors.

Should he be found not guilty he could be in for a big pay rise if he transfers to them.

I just don’t get it. So long out of the game yet people are lining up to give him a pay rise.

Not a player I can understand the hype about as I don’t think he is anywhere near rep standard compared to the backrowers New South Wales can pick from.

Just on Cotric , I’m a big fan personally , I think that’s an outstanding signing for the bulldogs . He’s big , strong , makes good yards and can finish a try . I don’t see any real weaknesses in his game 

10 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Just on Cotric , I’m a big fan personally , I think that’s an outstanding signing for the bulldogs . He’s big , strong , makes good yards and can finish a try . I don’t see any real weaknesses in his game 

Bulldogs are considering moving him into centres where Raiders saw him as a winger.

Bulldogs have paid a lot for him so seems they want to get more out of him by playing him there.

He's not the answer to all their problems so it depends who they have playing round him.