Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, Injuries ...

3 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Nice yarn. I was talking to an Aunty of mine recently who has lived her whole life in the Ryde/Eastwood area, she was telling me that when Balmain made the GF that year that all the shops were adorned with  the Black and Gold. A golden era. Maybe you can help me with something, I was very young but I have recollections of a South Sydney player called George Longbottom, am I correct in thinking that he was a bit like Greg Inglis, a big strong long striding player of Aboriginal descent.

I remember him as a No 7, only playing in the 80's for a couple of seasons. In his first full match he started at No 7 when Souths played Cronulla at home and clocked up nearly 50 points and he scored 3 tries. I had changed my supporting allegiance to Cronulla when we moved from Coogee to live near Cronulla in the early 70's, coincident with the arrival of Tommy Bishop and Cliff Watson. Went to all home games and selected away ones including Souths.

That's all I recall about George.

1 hour ago, George Watt said:

I remember him as a No 7, only playing in the 80's for a couple of seasons. In his first full match he started at No 7 when Souths played Cronulla at home and clocked up nearly 50 points and he scored 3 tries. I had changed my supporting allegiance to Cronulla when we moved from Coogee to live near Cronulla in the early 70's, coincident with the arrival of Tommy Bishop and Cliff Watson. Went to all home games and selected away ones including Souths.

That's all I recall about George.

Yeah mate the name was Kevin Longbottom

.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Longbottom

I used to work at the same hospital as Cliff Watson, the veritable man-mountain.

19 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Yeah mate the name was Kevin Longbottom

.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Longbottom

I used to work at the same hospital as Cliff Watson, the veritable man-mountain.

I arrived in Aus. just after the 1968 GF win by Souths and Kevin had already been superseded at Fullback by the legendary Eric Simms.

First saw Watson play in Brisbane in the first match of the 1970 Ashes series. Cliff took on the whole of the Aussie pack demonstrating the art of the 'Liverpool Kiss'. He won the fight but the Aussies hammered us. Redemption occurred when we won the following 2 matches in Sydney and Cliff so wound up big Artie Beetson that in match 3 Beetson was sent off.

1 hour ago, George Watt said:

I arrived in Aus. just after the 1968 GF win by Souths and Kevin had already been superseded at Fullback by the legendary Eric Simms.

First saw Watson play in Brisbane in the first match of the 1970 Ashes series. Cliff took on the whole of the Aussie pack demonstrating the art of the 'Liverpool Kiss'. He won the fight but the Aussies hammered us. Redemption occurred when we won the following 2 matches in Sydney and Cliff so wound up big Artie Beetson that in match 3 Beetson was sent off.

Sometimes I`d get in the lift at the hospital and he would be in there, we would say G`day to each other but never anymore than that, It wasn`t to years later that I bought  a book called ` Retro Rugby League` and I saw his picture in there and recognised him straight away, I wish I had known, he would have played against all my childhood heroes.

I`ve read about that famous Third Test victory at the SCG, legend has it that the Australian crowd stood and cheered the Poms off the field after the victory. Must have been one of those magical sporting moments when it didn`t matter who you went for, you just know you`ve witnessed something special by a special group of people.

• Like 1

So presumably Wests Tigers wouldn't part with a comparable player to go to Storm, whatever, Josh Addo-Carr is staying with Melbourne for 2021 the final year of his contract with them.

The club have statement:

After discussions with Josh Addo-Carr and his agent late this afternoon, we can confirm Josh will be a Melbourne Storm player in 2021.

Josh had sought a release from the final season of his contract but this was not an option that was possible at this time.

Josh has accepted this decision and looks forward to returning to training with his teammates in Melbourne in January.

We are delighted to have such a talented player and huge contributor to our club, as well as his partner Lakaree and young Foxx, remain with Storm for 2021.

We would like to thank Wests Tigers, who have also been involved in these discussions, for their professionalism in this matter.

I suspect, but don't know, that Storm have upped his pay. Maybe money tied up in someone else has been released.

Edited by Graham

• Graham changed the title to Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, Injuries; Addo-Carr Announcement

The NRL are planning to bring back Magic Round for the 2021 season after the concept was deemed a major success, with the idea ruled out of 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, per The Sydney Morning Herald. 

The Magic Round sees all 16 sides play out one round of matches at the same city, with the 2019 campaign played in Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium.

Peter V’landys revealed that the NRL are working on reviving the concept as Australia takes a strong hold of the pandemic, with little community transmission across the country.

2 hours ago, Graham said:

I suspect, but don't know, that Storm have upped his pay.

I suspect you’re right . Then clubs have plenty of time to prepare a mega bucks deal for him in 2022 , so win win for him . And win for the Storm , he’s a champion 

20 hours ago, The Rocket said:

I`ve read about that famous Third Test victory at the SCG, legend has it that the Australian crowd stood and cheered the Poms off the field after the victory. Must have been one of those magical sporting moments when it didn`t matter who you went for, you just know you`ve witnessed something special by a special group of people.

Was positioned on the famous 'Hill' with my wife for both games where thousands stood. At the final whistle I was jumping around and celebrating wildly in the midst of Aus fans and my wife wanted me quickly away from that situation. Don't recollect any mass cheering but could have occurred in various seated areas.

Interestingly my wife took out Aus. nationality a few years later and supported everything Aussie thereafter except when England/Gt Britain played Aus. She had a cousin back in England who was on Barrow's books back in the 50's who was somewhat of a father figure when she was growing up,(her dad was killed in the war before she was born) so she remained loyal to his love of RL.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, George Watt said:

Was positioned on the famous 'Hill' with my wife for both games where thousands stood. At the final whistle I was jumping around and celebrating wildly in the midst of Aus fans and my wife wanted me quickly away from that situation. Don't recollect any mass cheering but could have occurred in various seated areas.

Interestingly my wife took out Aus. nationality a few years later and supported everything Aussie thereafter except when England/Gt Britain played Aus. She had a cousin back in England who was on Barrow's books back in the 50's who was somewhat of a father figure when she was growing up,(her dad was killed in the war before she was born) so she remained loyal to his love of RL.

I`ve been on that Hill at SOO in the mid-eighties, they don`t mind having a drink up there, I can remember empties and not-so-empties flying around everywhere up there if they saw something they didn`t like, that might have been a smart move by your wife. The photo of the GB team leaving the ground with the crowd clapping shows them standing in front of what looks like the members stands. Probably much more likely to clap up there, more likely to be a hail of beer cans from the hill.

My Grandmother came to Australia from England when was 4, she died a couple of years ago aged 101, she supported Australia in everything but not against England, especially cricket, she was still going for the Poms. She never became an Australian citizen, I don`t think she ever really considered herself Australian.

• Like 1

Will Chambers back to NRL from Japanese RU?

Former Melbourne star Will Chambers could return to the NRL with the Broncos, according to The Courier-Mail.

Chambers quit the Storm last year to join a Japanese rugby union side, Suntory, only for the competition to be cut short due to COVID-19.

With Kotoni Staggs out injured, Jack Bird moving to the Dragons and Darius Boyd retiring, Herbie Farnworth is Kevin Walters’ only recognised centre.

And per the report, Chambers has held “furtive discussions” about a return to the NRL.

Melbourne Storm have signed outside back Reimis Smith from Canterbury Bulldogs on a two-year deal.

The 23-year-old has scored 25 tries in 49 appearances for the Bulldogs since making his first team debut in 2016.

Storm general manager Frank Ponissi said: “With the departure of Suliasi Vunivalu, Sandor Earl and Paul Momirovski, we were on the lookout for quality outside backs and Reimis certainly fits what we were looking for.

He’s a young player with the majority of his career still to come and capable of playing in the centres or on the wing.

“We had him in our sights for some time and when the Bulldogs made the decision to release him, we were quick to take the opportunity to bring him to Melbourne.

“We’re still in the market for one more outside back and hope to finalise that position prior to the start of pre-season.

“With George Jennings also coming on board for the next two years, we have some fresh, new talent for our members and fans to enjoy watching in the purple jersey.

“Our thanks go to Suli, Sandor and Paul for the contributions they made to Storm and we wish them all the best with their various endeavours away from Storm.”

Melbourne have also signed outside back Marion Seve on a train and trial contract. The 25-year-old has made 19 appearances for Storm so far.

• Graham changed the title to Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, Injuries; Cam Smith going?

Aloiai demanded an immediate release from the Tigers on Tuesday with the intention of joining Manly, telling officials he will “never wear the jersey again”.

Tigers chairman Lee Hagipantelis said the club would not roll over and allow Aloiai to walk out the door to join an NRL rival.

Edited by Graham

“As far as we’re concerned he can mow the lawns at Leichhardt and Campbelltown and paint the sheds at Concord,” Hagipantelis told Fox Sports.

Good. Half of me thinks, "If they don't want to be here then let them go," but the other half thinks we should stop acting like a transit camp for players waiting for better offers.

For a few decades Wests Magpies was just a launching pad for young players to get their foot in the door of first grade. Basically half the team was playing for a contract somewhere else. But these days, we pay the same money as everyone else. We play in the same league as everyone else. We compete for the same trophies as everyone else. We need to stop treating ourselves as the idiot leper cousin of the league.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Graham said:

Aloiai demanded an immediate release from the Tigers on Tuesday with the intention of joining Manly, telling officials he will “never wear the jersey again”.

Tigers chairman Lee Hagipantelis said the club would not roll over and allow Aloiai to walk out the door to join an NRL rival.

This is a worrying trend in the NRL that needs attention . 

Bailey Hodgson is another signing by the Newcastle Knights, with the English teenager signing a three-year deal at the club.

The 18-year old has represented England as a youth and made his debut for Castleford in the super league this year.

He is also the nephew of Canberra hooker and England international Josh Hodgson, who has played 117 games for the Raiders since crossing over from Hull Kingston in 2015.

St George Illawarra Dragons have released forward Korbin Sims from the remainder of his contract to take up a deal in the English Super League.

The club announced on Friday morning that the Sims would make the overseas move despite having a year to run on his contract.

He will join Hull Kington Rovers in 2021 on a three-year deal, which leaves the Dragons with three roster spots to fill for next season.

The Dragons also announced that front-rower Kaide Ellis has re-signed for one season

46 minutes ago, Graham said:

St George Illawarra Dragons have released forward Korbin Sims from the remainder of his contract to take up a deal in the English Super League.

The club announced on Friday morning that the Sims would make the overseas move despite having a year to run on his contract.

He will join Hull Kington Rovers in 2021 on a three-year deal, which leaves the Dragons with three roster spots to fill for next season.

The Dragons also announced that front-rower Kaide Ellis has re-signed for one season

Massive signing for Hull KR that, but I do worry about his injury record

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Graham said:

Jack de Belin’s trial is in progress, and this coming week Jarryd Hayne’s trial  (two sexual assault charges) gets underway (Monday)

Plenty to keep us entertained in the off season then 🙂

Has Xerri received his punishment yet? He'll have done almost a year by the time it's handed down