Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, Injuries ...

Yes, pretty upsetting.

Here's what he has said:

"After four days of being in hospital the image of my kids crying as they left me each night worried, stuck with me and gave me a lot of time to think.

"I went back to training as I wanted to focus on the season ahead but unfortunately it ended up with further complications again which made me realise that my health and family is more important which led to this decision."

• Graham changed the title to Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, Injuries ...

Also Storm related:

Storm half Jahrome Hughes is hoping to have his future sorted before the start of the 2021 NRL campaign, reports Fox Sports’ James Hooper.

The 26-year old played a key role in the club’s premiership winning 2020 season in a breakout campaign.

Off-contract at the end of the season, Hughes is reportedly being being targeted by the Brisbane Broncos and Cronulla Sharks.

Hooper reports that Hughes will sit down with the Storm in the coming weeks with the intention to resolve his future by Round 1.

The question is – will the Storm be prepared to pay him what rival clubs are offering?

Some teams are reportedly prepared to offer Hughes more than $800,000 a season, a price tag seemingly too dear for Melbourne.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Graham said:

Also Storm related:

Storm half Jahrome Hughes is hoping to have his future sorted before the start of the 2021 NRL campaign, reports Fox Sports’ James Hooper.

The 26-year old played a key role in the club’s premiership winning 2020 season in a breakout campaign.

Off-contract at the end of the season, Hughes is reportedly being being targeted by the Brisbane Broncos and Cronulla Sharks.

Hooper reports that Hughes will sit down with the Storm in the coming weeks with the intention to resolve his future by Round 1.

The question is – will the Storm be prepared to pay him what rival clubs are offering?

Some teams are reportedly prepared to offer Hughes more than $800,000 a season, a price tag seemingly too dear for Melbourne.

So no more Warriors. Just as long as he stays at the Storm this year and continues to learn his craft, I think Hughes at halfback for the Kiwis is essential if they are to realise their full potential at the WC.

It absolutely blows me away how that bloke manufactures players down there.

• Like 1

The NRL’s trade window is back on the agenda again with the governing body commissioning a review into player contracts.

Buried in the fine print of the NRL’s player pay cut deal struck with the Rugby League Players Association earlier this week were a couple of lines about the said review.

What it means is trade and transfer windows will be seriously looked at, something the NRL clubs have long been in favour or but the RLPA is staunchly opposed against.

The review is also tipped to look at the rules around terminating contracts early.

Trade windows have long been a buzz phrase at NRL headquarters but it remains to be seen if anything will actually come of this round of talks.

• Like 1

Brisbane Broncos are playing hardball in relation to St George Illawarra’s interest in bringing Andrew McCullough to the Red V for 2021 and 2022.

The Broncos remain adamant they will not chip in anything above the $150,000 they’ve already paid McCullough for the past three months.

Which leaves the Dragons well short of the $600,000 plus McCullough is on in his final season at Red Hill.

The Broncos have made it clear they won’t be offering the tough No. 9 anything beyond this year whereas new St George Illawarra coach Anthony Griffin wants McCullough as his starting hooker for this year and next year.

• Graham changed the title to Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, Injuries ... Pre Season Talk 2021
12 minutes ago, Graham said:

Brisbane Broncos are playing hardball in relation to St George Illawarra’s interest in bringing Andrew McCullough to the Red V for 2021 and 2022.

The Broncos remain adamant they will not chip in anything above the $150,000 they’ve already paid McCullough for the past three months.

Which leaves the Dragons well short of the $600,000 plus McCullough is on in his final season at Red Hill.

The Broncos have made it clear they won’t be offering the tough No. 9 anything beyond this year whereas new St George Illawarra coach Anthony Griffin wants McCullough as his starting hooker for this year and next year.

Not sure why they’d want him , they have one of the best hookers and most consistent players in the comp . McCullough is steady but not that flash .

On 22/01/2021 at 19:41, Graham said:

Retired Englishman James Graham will return to St George Illawarra in 2021 after accepting an off-field role to help establish a female Dragons academy.

The Dragons' NRLW side have been underwhelming in their first three seasons and went winless last year despite boasting a squad stacked with Origin and Test talent.

After the announcement by Dragon, Graham asked the club to make it clear he hadn’t signed up to anything with them. They are though still negotiating with him. His mission, should he choose to accept it, would cover several areas...

Another positive ahead of the new season concerns discussions we have had with former player James Graham, who will soon commence a number of roles at the Dragons including in our partnerships team and rugby league program,” Webb said.

Wests Tigers centre Paul Momirovski has handed in two release requests as he seeks regular playing time. 
But coach Michael Maguire has told him — you’re going nowhere. Full story:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/teams/tigers/nrl-2021-paul-momirovski-wests-tigers-reject-release-request-michael-maguire/news-story/700e41093f463a448f487e58f756eda3

Edited by Graham

Benji Marshall and Wayne Bennett are set to reunite once more at Redfern with the champion playmaker in negotiations with South Sydney for a 2021 swansong.

Apparently Marshall has been floated a one-year contract by the Rabbitohs and is poised to take up the NRL lifeline. 

The club has not made any official comment on discussions with Marshall and his management.

G`day Graham,

Figures released by the NRL this week show the code only lost $16m during this pandemic affected year. This is well short of the predicted $100`s of millions that was being bandied around as a possible figure when the game was halted in March.

It was reported that several more clubs than usual actually finished in the Black due to belt tightening and the increased NRL Grants.

I Imagine this means that the $130m that the NRL had in the Bank before the shutdown would largely remain in tact.

It was reported the game lost over $100m in decreased revenue for the year but this was somewhat offset by V`landys  deal with the Betting Agencies extracting more revenue, by them having to pay an extra fee for the right to place bets on the big League events like SOO, Finals. The extra revenue was said to amount to more than $10m dollars and did not include SOO1 as the arrangement was only put in place after it had taken place.

For the code to only lose $16m when all the talk was $300m-$400m during the pandemic is absolutely fantastic ,especially when you consider all the extra costs that would have been incurred, this augurs very well for the future running of the games finances under the guidance of V`landy`s and Abdo.

This does not even include V`landy`s famous ability, a reputation he has achieved running NSW Racing, from extracting maximum Financial help from Governments. The first inklings of which we are beginning to see in the negotiations around Stadium renewal and the right to host the Grand Final.

• Like 3

Thanks for that analysis TR. Some good news there.

The fact that 20 rounds and a finals series could be played meant that there was something to see of our game which was a consolation for supporters. It meant there was something valuable that brought in income. It would be interesting to know how much money comes into the game through the separate elements of media rights, sponsorship and spectators who pay to watch at the game.

One thing that emphasises the extra value of spectators is the atmosphere they bring to a game. At least some spectators were eventually allowed back in to the grounds in Oz.

Here the situation has been sad and very difficult. 
On a lighter note I have been watching snooker on tv this week. It is the German Masters all decked up with German flag and sponsors motifs. Due to Covid-19 restrictions here and in Europe it is being held in Milton Keynes! There’s no spectators there so taped applause is used on occasions.

Roll on the vaccine and hopefully a return to more normal times when we can amongst other things stand shoulder to shoulder with others in support of our game and teams. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graham said:

Thanks for that analysis TR. Some good news there.

The fact that 20 rounds and a finals series could be played meant that there was something to see of our game which was a consolation for supporters. It meant there was something valuable that brought in income. It would be interesting to know how much money comes into the game through the separate elements of media rights, sponsorship and spectators who pay to watch at the game.

One thing that emphasises the extra value of spectators is the atmosphere they bring to a game. At least some spectators were eventually allowed back in to the grounds in Oz.

Here the situation has been sad and very difficult. 
On a lighter note I have been watching snooker on tv this week. It is the German Masters all decked up with German flag and sponsors motifs. Due to Covid-19 restrictions here and in Europe it is being held in Milton Keynes! There’s no spectators there so taped applause is used on occasions.

Roll on the vaccine and hopefully a return to more normal times when we can amongst other things stand shoulder to shoulder with others in support of our game and teams. 

Taped applause at the snooker..priceless.

The mob that did the fake crowd noise for the NRL got so good at it over here that by the end of the season they had fake hecklers and all. My sons and I had a good old laugh watching one crowdless game on TV when during a hold up in play we distinctly heard someone yell  " Get on with it !!". A dedicated " Get on with it " button on the fake crowd noise console.

In the NRL TV broadcast income makes about 75% of total income in a normal year, the only thing I can compare it with is the afl where I heard it was once 50%, although I saw an article last week stating it currently makes up about 65%, still reflecting however their larger crowds and higher sponsorship.

• Like 1

I thought the taped crowd noise in the NRL games was more convincing than any taped noise in other broadcast sports. I thought it was more convincing than that used in the Premier League football games I saw here.

Ideas for future taped crowd usage:

• reaction to taped streaker,
  • far more use of ‘gerromonside’ tape
  • ’occasional use of ‘oh I say, that was a simply spiiiffffiiinnng move’.
Edited by Graham
  • Haha 1

In the NRL TV broadcast income makes about 75% of total income in a normal year, the only thing I can compare it with is the afl where I heard it was once 50%, although I saw an article last week stating it currently makes up about 65%, still reflecting however their larger crowds and higher sponsorship.

Thanks for that TR

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Graham said:

St George Illawarra are reportedly showing interest in former Titan Nathan Peats, as the Dragons look to fill the remaining three roster spots on their list.

Broncos are adamant that Andrew McCullough will remain at the club in 2021 despite being strongly linked to the Dragons.

The Red V are now reportedly eyeing another No.9 who is yet to sign with a club for this season.

2 hours ago, Graham said:

Penrith veteran Dean Whare is set to leave the Panthers in a move to French Super League outfit Catalan Dragons

I've admired Whare for several years, and he's still only 31, which surprised me. Remember his outrageous pass to set up a Kiwi try in the Word Cup semi?

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson