Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, Injuries ...

Culled Titans back Tyrone Peachey's current search for new home has hit a snag, as his lofty contractual demands are said to have scared several clubs off.

According to The Australian's Brent Read, the 30-year-old is seeking a three-year deal in the vicinity of $400,000 per annum - a figure that is unlikely to be met by many in the market.

Read suggested that due to this proposed asking price, the Brisbane Broncos had already retracted their interest in his services.

“He’s a really interesting situation, Tyrone Peachey, he’s another guy looking around the NRL for an opportunity,” Read said on Saturday afternoon via Triple M radio waves.

“He’s been offered to Canberra, he’s been offered to the Wests Tigers and I think both those clubs are monitoring the situation.

“I think at the moment his asking price is a bit exorbitant, he’s asking for something like three years for $1.2 million, $400,000 and I think the clubs are reluctant to pay him that."

• 2 weeks later...

Sam Burgess has revealed he was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (MS) three years ago while playing rugby league.

While further scans later cleared the former NRL star of the degenerative neurological disease, he says he is still at risk of health problems down the track because of repeated head knocks he suffered during his footy career.

• Graham changed the title to Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, Injuries ... Sam Burgess health concerns

Titans co-captain Jamal Fogarty has likely played his final game for the club despite having another two seasons to go on his contract.

Fogarty had been linked to the Raiders as a replacement for George Williams, however the Titans had made it clear that they would not release the 27-year-old.

News Corp is reporting the Titans have softened their stance and have given Fogarty permission to negotiate with rivals.

• 2 weeks later...

Retired rugby league star Manu Vatuvei has pleaded guilty to importation of methamphetamine.

The former Warriors player, 35, admitted the crime while appearing at a mostly empty courtroom in Manukau, an area of Auckland on New Zealand’s North Island, on Wednesday alongside his lawyer.

The charge carries a maximum penalty of life in prison. Vatuvei is set to be sentenced in December. 

Judge Jonathan Moses allowed Vatuvei to remain free on bail, with tight curfew restrictions, until then.

• Graham changed the title to Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, Injuries ... Manu Vatuvei

Canterbury Bulldogs winger Josh Addo-Carr has spoken out about the reasons he abandoned the Melbourne Storm to take up a lucrative contract with the Sydney club.

Addo-Carr, who has been a permanent fixture in one of the competition's best teams for many years, is a prized recruit for the Bullodgs.

He is also just one part of their enormous recruitment drive, which has also seen the club pick up Tevita Pangai Junior, Paul Vaughan, Matt Dufty, Matt Burton and Brent Naden among others.

The flying winger is also an almost must pick in Brad Fittler's New South Wales State of Origin side, and is likely to be again in 2022 as he begins his new life in blue and white.

While Addo-Carr wanted to return to Sydney, where he originally grew up, he said it was time to try something new in an interview with the Bulldogs' club website.

“I wanted to step out of my comfort zone, come to the Bulldogs and help lead the club in the right direction” Addo-Carr said.

“I spent five years in Melbourne, I had some great memories there, but I wanted to try something new.”

I've highlighted the key word there, lucrative.

He was persuaded away  by his desire to move back to Sydney AND it was Bulldogs because they offered him the opportunity and the big money. Common sense. It wil be interesting to see if he enjoys the move or comes to regret it from the playing point of view.

He'd be daft in this game to avoid the big pay days when serious injury might just be round the corner.

It will also be interesting to see how he adapts his game to suit his new team mates and the ageing process.

• Graham changed the title to Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, Injuries ... Josh Addo-Carr

Former Australia, Tonga, New South Wales and Eels centre Michael Jennings has sensationally accepted a three-year ban for doping, effectively ending his NRL career.

Jennings rigorously denied any wrongdoing when he was provisionally suspended 12 months ago, on the eve of Parramatta’s finals campaign. 

He’d failed a drugs test and was stood down before eventually parting ways with the club altogether earlier this year.

• Graham changed the title to Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, Injuries ...

Warriors' Reece Walsh has escaped conviction after being arrested on the Gold Coast and charged with one count of possessing a prohibited substance last month.

The 19-year-old was arrested in Surfers Paradise on September 26 for disobeying a police officer’s order to move on. He was taken back to the station and found to be in possession of cocaine.

Walsh attended Southport Court on Monday morning and according to News Corp has been placed on a good behaviour bond and fined $400, however no conviction was recorded.

On 1st November, Cody Walker will be free to negotiate with rival clubs for 2023 and beyond, so it’s no surprise that the Rabbitohs are moving to lock him in on a new deal.

The 31-year-old is earning around the $650,000 mark on a deal that expires next season. But he is in a good position for a pay rise after a great season in which he was named the Dally M Five-eighth of the year.

By the way Rabbitohs put a clause in Wayne Bennett’s contract that prevents him from poaching any staff or players for a six-month period after the expiry of his contract on 1st Nov. By then, all of the Rabbitohs priority signings could well be locked in.

Edited by Graham

1 hour ago, Graham said:

On 1st November, Cody Walker will be free to negotiate with rival clubs for 2023 and beyond, so it’s no surprise that the Rabbitohs are moving to lock him in on a new deal.

The 31-year-old is earning around the $650,000 mark on a deal that expires next season. But he is in a good position for a pay rise after a great season in which he was named the Dally M Five-eighth of the year.

By the way Rabbitohs put a clause in Wayne Bennett’s contract that prevents him from poaching any staff or players for a six-month period after the expiry of his contract on 1st Nov. By then, all of the Rabbitohs priority signings could well be locked in.

Whilst I think the Rabbitohs made a mistake not giving Reynolds a longer contract than a year, I would be wary about throwing money at Walker. He'll be 33 by the time the 2023 season starts and no guarantees he'll still be in the same sort of form. I would be looking at offering him a 1 year deal with a further year extension linked to performance

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-19/george-burgess-avoids-conviction-for-smashing-motorists-phone/100550472

Burgess's early guilty plea, lack of prior convictions and the fact he paid the victim compensation for his phone were all considered in sentencing.

He was sentenced to a 12-month good behaviour bond.

5 hours ago, Farmduck said:

It seems strange that the system finds someone guilty of the offence, or even as here that the offender pleads guilty and whilst given a penalty, is not given a conviction.

... in other news, Yellow Wiggle Emma quits ...

Edited by Graham

1 hour ago, Graham said:

It seems strange that the system finds someone guilty of the offence, or even as here that the offender pleads guilty and whilst given a penalty, is not given a conviction.

... in other news, Yellow Wiggle Emma quits ...

Had experience with this myself Graham, sometimes a Magistrate won`t record a conviction, even despite being convicted of an offence, if they think it might adversely affect the defendants future. If a conviction was recorded it may mean that George may be unable to travel to certain countries, there may also be other things were having a criminal conviction would be a problem. Obviously, the magistrate didn`t warrant Burgess of being of sufficiently bad character, and in George`s case, he was probably provoked as well, to record a conviction and thereby risk be being punished further. The penalty in this case would suffice.

Edited by The Rocket
  • Like 2

On 18/10/2021 at 09:28, Graham said:

after "THAT" pass? really? 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

I’ll be very pleased if Tariq Sims stays at the dragons next year as is being reported 

I read this…

”There’s still a chance St George Illawarra forward Tariq Sims will play for the Dragons next season, despite being told to explore his options.

The veteran has one year left to run on his deal, which is believed to be worth around $800,000, but the Dragons have refused to extend his contract beyond the end of the 2022 season. 

Sims has spoken to several clubs and has been linked with the Sydney Roosters, but no deal has been done yet.”