Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, Injuries ...

On 21/11/2021 at 11:00, Graham said:

The Bulldogs have reportedly issued John Asiata a letter of termination due to his refusl to be vaccinated against Covid-19.

The NRL does not have a competition wide mandate, but the club itself has applied a mandate to its own players.

Asiata recently signed a one-year deal with the Canterbury side, but the Sydney Morning Herald has reported that the 28-year-old received a letter of termination last week.

The Canterbury club has said they will have no players on their books unable to fulfil their contractual obligations next season. 

Good on em - its about time both the NRL and RFL took a firm stance on this. The health and financial stability of the sport and the wider pool of players is far more important that the odd whinging anti-vaxxer

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Well it looks like Brandon Smith has blindsided Melbourne signalling he will sign for Roosters from season 2023 on.

Storm believed they would have a chance to counter any bid from other clubs for his services.

Roosters though hung out the baited line and then hauled him in.

He signed for them without giving Storm the chance to compete. Not only that he has heaped praise on the Roosters coach and heaped praise on the Sydney club. He has pledged to help them win a premiership, this a long way out from playing for his new club.

Well it's his decision.

Storm are dischuffed though.

He still has 2022 contracted to them.

What will they do?

Maybe release him straight away to go to Roosters? Have they got salary cap room for him so soon?

Apparently he's looking forward to meeting up with Bellyache and Frank Ponissi ... you think so?

Edited by Graham

8 hours ago, Graham said:

Well it looks like Brandon Smith has blindsided Melbourne signalling he will sign for Roosters from season 2023 on.

Storm believed they would have a chance to counter any bid from other clubs for his services.

Souths though hung out the baited line and then hauled him in.

He signed for them without giving Storm the chance to compete. Not only that he has heaped praise on the Roosters coach and heaped praise on the Sydney club. He has pledged to help them win a premiership, this a long way out from playing for his new club.

Well it's his decision.

Storm are dischuffed though.

He still has 2022 contracted to them.

What will they do?

Maybe release him straight away to go to Roosters? Have they got salary cap room for him so soon?

Apparently he's looking forward to meeting up with Bellyache and Frank Ponissi ... you think so?

Think you need to re-visit the sentence 3 from the top G!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Graham said:

Roosters though hung out the baited line and then hauled him in.

They`re a slick outfit that`s for sure.

Playing golf on the North Shore with the old boys, just by coincidence takes a phone call on the golf course from billionaire owner Nick Politis who`s in the U.S. on business. Goes to dinner at the Robinson`s and says: " everytime I came back from the toilet they (the whole family) were conversing in French and you know Robbo didn`t talk League all night, just a quick chat before I left "and " they care about the whole person, not just the player " sort of stuff. The last bit was just Robinson making sure he knew why he was there no doubt.

Enough to turn a young blokes head I dare say.

9 hours ago, The Rocket said:

They`re a slick outfit that`s for sure.

Playing golf on the North Shore with the old boys, just by coincidence takes a phone call on the golf course from billionaire owner Nick Politis who`s in the U.S. on business. Goes to dinner at the Robinson`s and says: " everytime I came back from the toilet they (the whole family) were conversing in French and you know Robbo didn`t talk League all night, just a quick chat before I left "and " they care about the whole person, not just the player " sort of stuff. The last bit was just Robinson making sure he knew why he was there no doubt.

Enough to turn a young blokes head I dare say.

Yes, and him such a level headed chap usually ... 🤪

• Haha 1

The National Rugby League (NRL) has advised player Anthony Milford and the South Sydney Rabbitohs that it will not consider registering a contract for the player until criminal proceedings against Milford have been completed.

Given the severity of the allegations, particularly that two charges allege violence against women, the NRL will not consider an application for registration until the court process is complete. 

Milford was arrested on 20 September 2021 and charged with 3 counts of assault occasioning bodily harm and 1 count of wilful damage involving a vehicle.

Brandon Smith apology...

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/11/30/smith-apologises-as-storm-exit-confirmed/

excerpt:

"My focus is now fully turned to the future with the Melbourne Storm and all the amazing opportunities laid before me," he said.

"Whatever happens I will give 100%, it's all I know."

Storm CEO Justin Rodski said Smith's comments on the podcast, which included discussing the club's off-field culture, "do not align with Storm's values and the way we operate as a club" before accepting his apology.

"The statements have deeply offended current and former players, coaches, staff and board members and the club strongly rejects the comments made about the Storm culture," Rodski said.

"We acknowledge Brandon’s apology made on social media today and his willingness now to prepare for the 2022 season with Storm.

"Brandon has every right to explore future opportunities as any player would in his position, and ultimately we respect his decision to play football elsewhere from 2023."

Apology (made on social media)  sort of accepted... coolly...

It remains to be seen how this will pan out.

The face to face with Bellamy and Frank Ponissi will be interesting when it happens. I doubt there'll be hugs and a forgive and forget outcome. A further carefully put together statement will no doubt surface afterwards. Will he then still be 'one of the lads'?

Edited by Graham

The writing is on the wall for Brandon Smith. After his ecstatic announcements about his move to the wonderful Roosters club in 2023, his current club have signalled their loss of trust in him by offering him to at least one other club straight away. It is reported a deal for him to go to Wests Tigers for 2022 fell through as Tigers wouldn’t agree to a particular player swap Storm wanted.

Storm look keen then to send Brandon packing asap.

Edited by Graham

1 minute ago, Graham said:

The writing is on the wall for Brandon Smith. After his ecstatic announcements about his move to the wonderful Roosters club in 2023, his current club have signalled their loss of trust in him by offering him to at least one other club straight away. It is reported a deal for him to go to Wests Tigers for 2022 fell through as Tigers wouldn’t agree that a particular player swap Storm wanted.

Storm look keen then to send him packing asap.

Cheese for brains. Cracking player, though.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Plenty of player movement this off-season! I am eager to see how/if Wests and Bulldogs shopping sprees lift them out of the doldrums.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

35 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Dragons could end up bottom if these sides improve too much 

These are their movements for 2022 (to date). I don't see these changes making a massive improvement.

2022 gains
Jaydn Su'A (Rabbitohs), Francis Molo (Cowboys), George Burgess (Wigan), Moses Mbye (Wests Tigers), Moses Suli (Sea Eagles), Aaron Woods (Sharks), Jack Gosiewski (Sea Eagles), Tautau Moga (Rabbitohs).

2022 losses
Cameron McInnes (Sharks), Matt Dufty (Bulldogs), Jordan Pereira (Broncos), Adam Clune (Knights), Paul Vaughan (Bulldogs), Kaide Ellis (Wigan), Brayden Wiliame (French rugby union), Corey Norman, Gerard Beale, Billy Brittain, Hayden Lomax (all released).

Ralph Waldo Emerson

18 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

These are their movements for 2022 (to date). I don't see these changes making a massive improvement.

2022 gains
Jaydn Su'A (Rabbitohs), Francis Molo (Cowboys), George Burgess (Wigan), Moses Mbye (Wests Tigers), Moses Suli (Sea Eagles), Aaron Woods (Sharks), Jack Gosiewski (Sea Eagles), Tautau Moga (Rabbitohs).

2022 losses
Cameron McInnes (Sharks), Matt Dufty (Bulldogs), Jordan Pereira (Broncos), Adam Clune (Knights), Paul Vaughan (Bulldogs), Kaide Ellis (Wigan), Brayden Wiliame (French rugby union), Corey Norman, Gerard Beale, Billy Brittain, Hayden Lomax (all released).

Su’a is obviously a really good pick up , Molo is solid , but most of the rest are could be good pick ups / bit of a punt / hope there’s something left . 

• Like 1

On 03/12/2021 at 13:30, Graham said:

The writing is on the wall for Brandon Smith. After his ecstatic announcements about his move to the wonderful Roosters club in 2023, his current club have signalled their loss of trust in him by offering him to at least one other club straight away. It is reported a deal for him to go to Wests Tigers for 2022 fell through as Tigers wouldn’t agree to a particular player swap Storm wanted.

Storm look keen then to send Brandon packing asap.

“It was reported…”

Well this is the response from the club:

There’s since been speculation around a potential early release for Smith. It was reported last week that the Storm had approached the Tigers proposing a swap deal for Smith and young gun prop Stefano Utoikamanu.

However Ponissi has denied this.

“I can guarantee we didn’t approach any club (about swapping Brandon Smith),” he said.

“In this position people think you’re vulnerable so you will get potentially other clubs contacting you.

“We just need a take a deep breath, it’s been a very disappointing week. We have to sit down with the players in person rather than over the phone or text.

“He’s a contracted player and he’ll be given an opportunity to show he really wants to be here.”

Raiders duo Josh Hodgson and Bailey Simonsson have sorted out their long-term futures with the pair signing deals to join Parramatta.

Hodgson, who has been linked to a Raiders departure throughout this season, will join the Eels in 2023 (stays at Raiders for 2022) on a two-year deal while Simonsson will join the western Sydney club effective immediately.

St George Illawarra Dragons' lock forward Jack de Belin could be set for a shock call up to the 2022 Rugby League World Cup with Papua New Guinea.

De Belin, who spent more than two years out of the game under the NRL's no-fault stand down rule, returned during the 2021 season for the Dragons and is now a shock option on the Kumuls radar.

While he has represented New South Wales three times in 2018, and was on the Kangaroos' radar, players are allowed to switch between Tier 1 and 2 nations in an effort from the International Rugby League to increase the overall competitiveness of the sport between nations.

According to an AAP report, De Belin qualifies for the Kumuls via his grandmother.

It seems Roosters teen sensation Joseph Suaalii has kept himself busy over the off-season with skipper James Tedesco revealing the 18-year-old is “looking huge.”

Suaalii was a household name before he even made his debut. There was so much hype around him and he was rated that highly that the NRL decided to grant him an exemption to play first grade before turning 18.

Roosters coach Trent Robinson had originally hoped to hold Suaalii back a little longer but injuries in the backline forced him to call on the young gun.

Melbourne Storm has extended its major partner agreement with RedZed, a lender to the self-employed, for another three years in a multi-million dollar deal – making this the most significant partnership deal in the club’s history.

RedZed has been Storm’s official major partner since the 2020 premiership season and will remain in the most prominent position on the front of the famous purple jersey until the end of 2025.

Nathan Cleary and Tom Trbojevic are among the 70-plus players that have reportedly been forced to isolate after two positive Covid-19 tests at the Emerging Blues camp.

The Blues, along with the Sky Blues and Women’s under 19s team, held the camp last weekend at the NSWRL Centre of Excellence in Olympic Park.

The Sydney Morning Herald reports the player who tested positive was unaware he had symptoms.

News Corp reports two players have tested positive, one being Melbourne’s Jonah Pezet and the other is one of the women’s players.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12-14/nsw-blues-camp-hit-by-positive-covid-cases/100699186