Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, Injuries ...

I'm not to sure about Edrick Lee I have never really been impressed with him.

9 hours ago, RabbitRhinoovOZ said:

I'm not to sure about Edrick Lee I have never really been impressed with him.

I think Raiders can do better. At his best, he's a quick finisher, but he has limitations in his game. And his handling errors when Canberra got knocked out of the playoffs last year was like something out of a horror movie.

Given last season's performances, I think they might be able to tempt a more effective winger than Lee if they put out feelers.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I don't know whether I'd be rushing Billy Slater back to fullback too quickly this year if I were the Storm. Soon to be 34, and having basically missed the entirety of the previous 2 seasons, getting a few games under his belt on the wing might not be the worst idea.

Canberra can pretty much say that the likes of Wighton, Leilua, Croker and Rapana are concrete starters for the Raiders. I'd assume Canberra would have some talented young outside backs coming through the system if they are looking to offload Edrick Lee. Nick Cotric seems to be a name many in Canberra are very excited about. 

Gold Coast are set to welcome English back-rower Joe Greenwood to the NRL club in an exchange with Super League side St Helens for Zeb Taia.

Greenwood, 23, is a member of Wayne Bennett's 31-man elite English training squad ahead of this year's World Cup, and has made 77 appearances for Saints since debuting in 2012.

"We wouldn't want to stand in the way of any player wishing to ply their trade elsewhere and Joe has been given a good opportunity at the Gold Coast," St Helens coach Keiron Cunningham said.

http://www.nrl.com/greenwood-cleared-to-join-nrl-titans/tabid/10874/newsid/103922/default.aspx

I see Kevin Locke wants a comeback and has been picked up by the Sunshine Coast.

He's hoping to play well enough to impress Storm.

He hadn't played since July 2015 but trained in pre-season at Manly. Apparently DCE put a good word in for him with the Falcons coach who decided to give him his chance.

Edited by Graham

Chris Grevsmuhl had the rugby league world at his feet — a starting back-rower for the Penrith Panthers, an Indigenous All Stars representative, a Queensland Origin hopeful.

Then last November, at the age of 23, he walked away from the game, citing “personal reasons”.

In an exclusive interview with The Daily Telegraph, he has broken his silence on the real reasons he left rugby league — revealing the pressure of being an NRL player became so overwhelming he quit for his mental welfare.

He suffered from depression, lost the desire to play and distanced himself from family, friends and teammates — before loved ones and Penrith boss Phil Gould stepped in.

After requesting a release from the Panthers, Grevsmuhl, who celebrates his 24th birthday on Thursday, now lives in Orange working as a builder and helping out the local footy side.

“I hit rock bottom and I had to walk away from the game for myself,” Grevsmuhl said.

“You sort of get consumed by it and all the processes that come with it. Footy is a job, you do lose the love for it and it’s not fun anymore.

“It’s exactly like going to work and it became too much in the end. I don’t blame anyone else. I blame myself for just losing the love for it and just not wanting the pressures.

“I’d reached my low and I didn’t see it, but luckily there were people around me that could see it and they helped me get back to the great mindset and appreciating everything a bit more. I’m loving life away from footy.

With just over a week until the Club’s 2017 campaign gets underway, the Sydney Roosters are pleased to announce that Mitchell Pearce has signed a two-year extension, keeping him with the Tricolours until at least the end of 2019.

As he prepares to contest his 11th season of NRL, the 27-year-old halfback spoke of the pride he felt to represent the Roosters.

“The Roosters mean a lot to me. The Club has been a big part of my life, and there’s been a lot of loyalty,” said Pearce.

Edited by Graham

Warriors 

Ben Matulino’s playing return may be delayed as he fights to overcome an infection following knee surgery early in the new year.

Matulino injured his left knee at training in January and was forced to undergo surgery before complications arose that could keep him sidelined longer than initially expected.

58 minutes ago, Graham said:

Chris Grevsmuhl had the rugby league world at his feet — a starting back-rower for the Penrith Panthers, an Indigenous All Stars representative, a Queensland Origin hopeful.

Then last November, at the age of 23, he walked away from the game, citing “personal reasons”.

In an exclusive interview with The Daily Telegraph, he has broken his silence on the real reasons he left rugby league — revealing the pressure of being an NRL player became so overwhelming he quit for his mental welfare.

He suffered from depression, lost the desire to play and distanced himself from family, friends and teammates — before loved ones and Penrith boss Phil Gould stepped in.

After requesting a release from the Panthers, Grevsmuhl, who celebrates his 24th birthday on Thursday, now lives in Orange working as a builder and helping out the local footy side.

“I hit rock bottom and I had to walk away from the game for myself,” Grevsmuhl said.

“You sort of get consumed by it and all the processes that come with it. Footy is a job, you do lose the love for it and it’s not fun anymore.

“It’s exactly like going to work and it became too much in the end. I don’t blame anyone else. I blame myself for just losing the love for it and just not wanting the pressures.

“I’d reached my low and I didn’t see it, but luckily there were people around me that could see it and they helped me get back to the great mindset and appreciating everything a bit more. I’m loving life away from footy.

Sad story, but great that he had the people around him to see where he was at and help him though it!

The last part where he is quoted gives an insight into a modern day player's mind. Sad that playing our game can just become a job.

Having said that when you look at professional sports in general, the players at the top spend many hours often everyday training and practising until the fun must go out of it.

Can a dedicated, hardworking professional retain a love for their sport?

Is it that that keeps them going or is it that and the money etc.?

I suspect many do, but then we're not all the same.

From what he says, he did the right thing in getting out and starting afresh. Well done those who helped him through it.

I applaud his attitude in taking responsibility for his own decision. Players, especially those who come in around 18 or so, have virtually no other work skills or life experience so treating it as a job isn't the worst thing on Earth. My first job out of school was cleaning toilets so I have no sympathy for these guys getting the minimum $90K to play footy.

Ricky Stuart has appealed to the NRL to find a better way to reward loyalty in the salary cap, with Canberra poised to release Shaun Fensom and Edrick Lee on the eve of the new season.

Stuart is reported to have said that to release the pair was “the hardest thing I have had to do as Raiders coach”.

With the 2017 season a week away, Fensom is set to join North Queensland in the coming days while Lee is tipped to sign with premiers Cronulla.

Edited by Graham

Don't know if this has been posted or not:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/feb/11/jarrod-croker-to-miss-first-three-games-of-nrl-season-with-dislocated-kneecap

My fantasy team was built round Jarrod, time for a complete re-vamp.

In other news Edrick Lee has signed for the Sharks

http://www.nrl.com/sharks-sign-edrick-lee/tabid/10874/newsid/103997/default.aspx

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

I would rather Slater play Reserve Grade first. He has only played one game in 18 months or so. He needs to test himself mentally and physically and build confidence. I Dont think throwing him straight in to the NRL is the right call. The Storm have a Number of good Options without Slater. 

• Like 1