Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, Injuries ...

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck will remain as captain of the New Zealand Warriors, despite Kiwis skipper Adam Blair's arrival, as the club looks to convince the star fullback to extend his tenure at the club.

Tuivasa-Sheck, who was appointed captain of the Warriors last year, played under Blair in the New Zealand team at the recent World Cup but Warriors chief executive Cameron George said coach Stephen Kearney had no plans to change leaders.

"Stephen and I have spoken about it a number of times over the off-season and we have no doubt that Roger is a very suitable and appropriate person to be our captain and lead the club forward. Nothing has changed in my mind," 

Jordan Rapana has spent the past week in Canberra’s “fat club”.

Rapana and fellow Kiwi Joseph Tapine were among the remaining Raiders to reunite with the playing group this week following their mandatory six-week break.

But Rapana revealed he had failed to meet a number of targets that resulted in some additional fitness sessions.

“I’m in there with Elliott (Whitehead). I shouldn’t be in there too much longer though. I just missed out on getting out but I’ve got testing again on Friday,” Rapana said.

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart was forced to confront Samoan trio Junior Paulo, Josh Papalii and Joey Leilua last December after they had returned from World Cup duties overweight.

All three are understood to have since come back to near playing weight for the New Year.

“Myself, (Tapine) and a few of the English and Samoan boys, we’re grown men and we knew that we were getting a longer break,” Rapana said.

Cronulla have joined Manly in pursuit of out-of-favour Newcastle halfback Trent Hodkinson.

With Hodkinson on good money at the Knights and spoiled for option in the halves, the 29-year-old is expected to find a new club in 2018.

The Sea Eagles have made no secret of their desire to bring him back to the club after releasing Blake Green to join the Warriors but the uncertainty around their salary cap has muddied the waters.

Now the Sharks have joined the race for his signature.

Sharks coach Shane Flanagan confirmed to foxsports.com.au that the club has spoken to Hodkinson’s management about signing the former NSW playmaker on a one-year-deal with his team in the market for an experienced back-up to join their roster.

Darius Boyd has suffered another hamstring injury in training this week.

We are told it was a minor strain to the same leg that a hamstring injury meant he missed a couple of weeks of the Finals last season. Likewise it caused him to miss the World Cup so he could recover.

Wayne Bennett is keen to point out that this latest strain is to a different muscle to last time. and says it is not serious.

Boyd signed on for another 4 years at Broncos back in October.

Latest...

A Brisbane Broncos player has been accused of assulting a woman. He hasn't been named for legal reasons.

The claim is that he slapped and man-handled the woman who is known to him. This apparently happened on Sunday night.

Broncos have contacted the game's integrity unit to inform them. Police enquiries are ongoing.

Edited by Graham

Corey Oates has seen himself moving into the forwards.

After training sessions and some time to develop his game, it seems that Wayne Bennett is going to move Oates into the second row at least for a few games at the start of the 2018 season presumably to see how he goes.

Oates has been spotted training on the left edge for Brisbane, with Channel Seven reporting the versatile giant will be given first shot in the back-row during the opening rounds of the 2018 season.

He played in the forwards up until 2015 when Bennett began to experiment, turning Brisbane's second-fastest player over 40m into a try-scoring machine out wide.

Greg Inglis will line up at fullback for South Sydney in 2018.

That’s according to new Rabbitohs coach Anthony Seibold, who ended the speculation that Inglis will move to the centres when he returns from a knee injury.

It was recently reported Inglis had been training at centre, and that Alex Johnston would instead wear the No. 1 jumper this year.

But the club’s website on Friday confirmed Seibold plans to hand Inglis his old jersey back when he makes his long-awaited NRL return against the Warriors in round one.

In what seems like training sessions held in extreme heat, Lloyd Perrett collapsed twice, losing consciousness both times when he needed an oxygen mask to help bring him round.

It appears to have been heat exhaustion.

We know how serious the results of heat stroke can be.

If this report is accurate then training in such conditions is less than sensible.

Manly were keen to stress that he received the correct treatment and that he is now well again and on course to start the season as normal.

2 hours ago, Graham said:

In what seems like training sessions held in extreme heat, Lloyd Perrett collapsed twice, losing consciousness both times when he needed an oxygen mask to help bring him round.

It appears to have been heat exhaustion.

We know how serious the results of heat stroke can be.

If this report is accurate then training in such conditions is less than sensible.

Manly were keen to stress that he received the correct treatment and that he is now well again and on course to start the season as normal.

I really don't understand all the problems with the heat these days? Australia has always been very hot at this time of the year -it's nothing new, I've worked in shearing sheds in the far west of NSW along with many other hard manual labour intensive jobs through out my life in much hotter parts of Australia than Sydney and have never suffered heat stroke nor have I seen anyone else have any issues.

Sounds like you are built tough RRovO.

If someone has a health problem or works to or beyond their limit then we know they are at serious risk of collapse or death in extreme hot conditions.

As it is a professional sport conducted under the guidance and direction of professionals you’d expect all sensible precautions would be taken to prevent collapse, blackouts and in one case recently, death.

St George halfback Ben Hunt hasn't shied away from the pressure of his new role in his first appearance as a Dragon, insisting he's ready to perform to the level his hefty contract requires.

Speaking to media following his first training session for the Red V, Hunt said he understands he won't have long to settle in to his new side after nine years and 187 games with Brisbane.

"That's what the Dragons have signed me for," Hunt said on Thursday.

"They want me to come here and be a great player for the team and really lead from the front along with Gareth (Widdop).

"So that's what my plan is, to come in and really hit the ground running from game one."

After finishing his last season at the Broncos in the hooker spot following Andrew McCullough's injury, Hunt said he's been assured he'll be back in his favoured halfback role for the Dragons.

• Melbourne Storm five-eighth Cameron Munster says young halfback Brodie Croft is ready to step into the void left by Cooper Cronk
  • Josh Hodgson could be the ace up Canberra’s sleeve in the fight to retain their halves pairing of Aidan Sezer and Blake Austin.

Hodgson plans to get in the ear of several off-contract teammates to try to convince them to stick around in the nation’s capital.

He signed a four-year extension with the club in November that will keep him in the lime green until the end of 2022.

But his fellow Canberra spine stars — Austin and Sezer — are yet to commit beyond 2018 and appear no certainty of staying put.

• Souths said to be interested in Felise Kaufusi for 2019 - he's contracted to Storm for this season, as is hi sbrother.

7 hours ago, Graham said:
  •  
  • Souths said to be interested in Felise Kaufusi for 2019 - he's contracted to Storm for this season, as is hi sbrother.

Oh what a shock, Souths are interested in yet another Storm player! seriously.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Souths are Our Reserve Grade team!?

I'd love to be able to argue with you on this one LRL but sadly I cannot.

The recruitment and retention since 2014 has be some of the worst I've ever seen in professional sport , The talent Souths have let walk compared to the poor quality they have signed is mind boggling .

12 hours ago, RabbitRhinoovOZ said:

I'd love to be able to argue with you on this one LRL but sadly I cannot.

The recruitment and retention since 2014 has be some of the worst I've ever seen in professional sport , The talent Souths have let walk compared to the poor quality they have signed is mind boggling .

I am also surprised they left it so late with Crichton. He should have had his contract extended way before the end of last season and given a big upgrade. Instead they wasted money on Farah etc who they dont need for me and the Twins who I think are overpaid.   

The Sharks look set beat Manly to the signature of Trent Hodkinson. 

But Trent Barrett’s backup plan includes a young gun with only 38 minutes of NRL experience. It's Lachlan Croker.

Unless there's another signing it looks like Lachlan will be the one lining up alongside DCEin the halves  in the pre-season game against Sharks in 3 weeks time.

Parramatta recruit Tony Williams has appeared in court on Wednesday after being charged with drink driving in December.

Williams, who was given a one-year lifeline from Eels coach Brad Arthur, had immediately informed the club of the incident.

The NRL integrity unit was made aware by the club.

The Eels released a statement on Thursday, which read: “Parramatta National Rugby League Club (PNRL) player Tony Williams appeared in court yesterday regarding a drink driving incident that took place last month.

Queensland Rugby League has today confirmed Josh Hannay will link with the Maroons as an assistant coach for the 2018 Holden State of Origin series.

A current member of the North Queensland Cowboys coaching team, Hannay will step up with the Maroons during the representative period following Anthony Seibold’s appointment as Head Coach of South Sydney.

Hannay, who played at Origin level in 2003 and 2006, said it was a privilege to be given an opportunity with the Maroons.

Toronto Wolfpack are delighted to announce the signing of experienced front row forward Jack Buchanan ahead of the 2018 season. Buchanan joins the Wolfpack on a one-year deal, with the option of a second, less than a week from the start of the club’s Championship campaign and his addition comes as a big boost to the squad.

Buchanan comes to the Wolfpack with plenty of top flight rugby under his belt. Having made his NRL debut as a promising young gun in 2013 for Wests Tigers, he went on to play over 40 games for the Tigers before making the switch to Super League with the Widnes Vikings in 2016.

Parramatta are apparently considering Edrick Lee as they look to fill the void left by Semi Radradra.

Edrick Lee has failed to fire over the past two seasons, best known for his shocker against the Melbourne Storm in Canberra’s preliminary final in 2016.

He was deemed ‘surplus to requirements’ a few months later, released to Cronulla Sharks, where he was barely sighted in first grade all year.

But it seems Parramatta are thinking about throwing the former Maroons’ 18th man a lifeline, despite already possessing a strong depth pool for their backline.

Despite the departure of superstar Semi Radradra, the likes of Jarryd Hayne, Michael Jennings, Clint Gutherson, Bevan French, Josh Hoffman, Kirisome Auva’a and Brad Takairangi all remain in the Eels’ squad.

Not sure if this has already been posted, anyway here it is:

Josh Jackson will lead the Bulldogs in 2018 after being named as the new captain by head coach Dean Pay.

With last year’s captain James Graham moving to the St George Illawarra Dragons, the club was forced to make a change.

There had been reports that David Klemmer and new signing Aaron Woods were in the mix but Pay has decided to go with 2017 ‘Player of the Year’ Jackson.

Tonga's emphatic World Cup campaign has Wests Tigers fullback Tuimoaloa Lolohea feeling like a different man and he is likely to continue his international career with the Mate Ma'a.

Lolohea returned to Concord in the new year feeling refreshed despite having less than a fortnight's break after the entire Tongan squad returned to the South Pacific nation for celebrations, which included an opportunity to meet their king, Tupou VI.

Leeds Rhinos will bid to become only the second British team to ever win the World Club Challenge in Australia when they travel to Melbourne next month.

NRL champions Melbourne Storm await them down under after they refused to travel to
Yorkshire for the game.

History is against the Rhinos as no British team has won the challenge in Australia since the Super League era began and the Storm have had their number in recent meetings. Leeds are the huge underdogs in this match but have every reason to be confident after their superb exploits last season.