Jump to content

Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, Injuries ...


Recommended Posts

Wigan winger Joe Burgess hopes to use the upcoming match against South Sydney Rabbitohs to remind the club of his talents as he eyes an eventual return to the NRL.

Burgess, who joined Sydney Roosters amid much fanfare in 2016 after scoring 52 tries in 55 games for Wigan and forcing his way into the England team, played four NRL matches before he was released to the South Sydney Rabbitohs for the remainder of the season.

At the same time, Burgess agreed to return to Wigan until 2019 but after his stint with the Rabbitohs the 23-year-old is keen for another chance with the club he will line up against in the February 17 double-header at ANZ Stadium, in which St George Illawarra Dragons will also play Hull FC.

"I hope to go back there one day and have a proper crack," Burgess told NRL.com as he prepared for this weekend's opening Super League round, in which Wigan play Salford before flying to Australia for their historic clash with Hull FC at WIN Stadium on February 10.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Storm fullback Billy Slater gave a young Rhinos fan a memory he won't forget on Friday night. Following Melbourne's strong win in the 2018 Downer World Club Challenge over Leeds, Slater approache

Some good news  21-year-old Sharks player Fine Kula has been cleared of brain cancer after a tough 10-month fight. Kula, who was a part of the Sharks’ pre-season NRL squad, was diagnosed with Med

Must agree . Sounds like complete desperation , we’ll do anything you want just don’t go 

Posted Images

Wigan's John Bateman has always been very honest and open, when questioned where he sees himself in the future, the England International is hoping that his efforts down under attracted the attention of Australian scouts.

Bateman's contract expires at the end of 2018, and the 24 year-old is putting himself in the shop window for NRL clubs, however stating that he enjoys his time at Wigan but he believes the call of the NRL would be too big to turn down.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A $10 million loss for Parramatta in 2017. Sure they had apparently no major sponsor and moved to ANZ,  but it can't be good, can it?

full SMH article here

I think Cronulla posted a similar loss following the peptides scandal.

That bit however is the most worrying:

Quote

While most NRL clubs are in the process of finalising their financial figures, none are expected to come close to Parramatta's loss.

It's hardly the sign that the game in Australia is in any good financial position, especially if one considers that the NRL ran out of money at some point last year.

It seems to me that administrators & players association are all blinded by the record TV rights, when a lot should be done to first, put the house in order (ie spend wisely), and second, think ahead to prepare for the next 10-20 years. Neither of which appears to be their priority from where I stand.

Up, up Cronulla; The boys in the black, white and blue; Up, up Cronulla; Name of the Sharks fits you; Sharks, Sharks forever; Go out and play without fear; Now's the time to see good football*; For the Sharks are here!

* Subject to change

Currently playing: Gorbachev: The Fall of Communism & Swing States 2012

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Graham said:

"I hope to go back there one day and have a proper crack," Burgess told NRL.com as he prepared for this weekend's opening Super League round, in which Wigan play Salford before flying to Australia for their historic clash with Hull FC at WIN Stadium on February 10.

So last time he was just mucking around?

Edited by Farmduck
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Vichyssoise said:

A $10 million loss for Parramatta in 2017. Sure they had apparently no major sponsor and moved to ANZ,  but it can't be good, can it?

full SMH article here

I think Cronulla posted a similar loss following the peptides scandal.

That bit however is the most worrying:

It's hardly the sign that the game in Australia is in any good financial position, especially if one considers that the NRL ran out of money at some point last year.

It seems to me that administrators & players association are all blinded by the record TV rights, when a lot should be done to first, put the house in order (ie spend wisely), and second, think ahead to prepare for the next 10-20 years. Neither of which appears to be their priority from where I stand.

I haven't seen any recent numbers on the total cost of an NRL team, probably since about 2012, when a mid-table team cost about $A15 million/year. I've been saying for years that the TV deals aren't sustainable. Every other stat in relation to TV is heading downwards - viewers, profits - so I don't see how the TV deals can keep getting bigger. Back when Dave Smith was the CEO he told all the clubs that the top priority was to grow their own funding to at least the point where the TV money counted for less than 50% of total revenue. So he got punted and I don't know if they listened to him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Farmduck said:

I haven't seen any recent numbers on the total cost of an NRL team, probably since about 2012, when a mid-table team cost about $A15 million/year. I've been saying for years that the TV deals aren't sustainable. Every other stat in relation to TV is heading downwards - viewers, profits - so I don't see how the TV deals can keep getting bigger. Back when Dave Smith was the CEO he told all the clubs that the top priority was to grow their own funding to at least the point where the TV money counted for less than 50% of total revenue. So he got punted and I don't know if they listened to him.

I believe he got punted precisely because they didn't want to listen to him... and being an outsider didn't do him any favors in the long run.

Up, up Cronulla; The boys in the black, white and blue; Up, up Cronulla; Name of the Sharks fits you; Sharks, Sharks forever; Go out and play without fear; Now's the time to see good football*; For the Sharks are here!

* Subject to change

Currently playing: Gorbachev: The Fall of Communism & Swing States 2012

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Sydney Roosters have suffered a blow with Luke Keary breaking his jaw at training.

Keary took an accidental knock to the head while doing a drill with a big forward at contact training.

He will miss all the trials and could also miss several games of the new season.

According to reports the break isn't a big one, but it could keep him sidelined for at least a month.

Training eh?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another injury picked up in the dreaded heavy contact training:

Gold Coast Titans - 

Kevin Proctor has been sidelined by a freak injury that has opened the door for returning Titan Will Matthews to present his case for a Round 1 call-up.

Proctor has been rubbed out of contact training for a fortnight after copping a heavy knock to his throat.

He was absent from Wednesday’s high intensity opposed session which was officiated by NRL referees.

The throat injury is not believed to be serious, like the one that ended the career of Newcastle utility Rory Kostjasyn, but Proctor has been sidelined as a precaution.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Moses Suli has be released by Wests Tigers with the new season just weeks away.

Quote

Wests Tigers has released Moses Suli effective immediately with the support and understanding of his manager Mario Tartak.

CEO Justin Pascoe said it was a difficult decision but is satisfied it is the right one for the club.

“Moses is an exceptionally talented player. That’s why over the last 12 months our coaching and personal development staff have dedicated so much time and energy in supporting Moses with his challenges, both on and off the field.”

Wests Tigers has been working closely with Moses’ manager Mario Tartak to reach today’s resolution.

Mr. Tartak said, “While it’s always disappointing to see player part ways with a club, the Wests Tigers have been completely transparent, professional and empathetic throughout this process.”

Mr. Pascoe said the decision was not made lightly and is about putting the club first.

“We are working really hard both on and off the field to build something special here at Wests Tigers. That includes building a culture and set of standards that cannot be compromised.

Mr. Pascoe said that while this has been a challenging period for the 19-year-old, his on field contribution will always be valued at the club and Wests Tigers wishes him the best of luck in the future.

“I am sure If he’s willing to take responsibility, be a team player and commit to the demands of being a professional athlete he has the potential to have a successful career in rugby league.”

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

and from NRL.com:

Based on talent alone, many will question how the Wests Tigers could justify parting ways with the teenage prodigy.

But this wasn’t a decision based on talent. According to the Tigers, it was a decision based on the player's attitude. It was a decision based on a lack of regard for the selflessness and standards the team is trying to create.

They will not pay a cent of his future contract money as part of the release.

Since Suli suffered a season-ending ankle injury just 16 games into his rookie year, the club believed his motivation wavered.

Cleary and football manager Kelly Egan had several conversations with the teenager, trying to understand why he didn't appear interested in capitalising on his talent.

Club officials visited his family home. They spoke to his mother. They spoke to his brother. They offered to support him in a new environment away from the comfort of the family home.

They spoke with the Rugby League Players' Association and held several meetings with his manager, Mario Tartak.

The Tigers believe they did everything possible to avoid the events that have now unfolded.

He has put on almost 15 kilograms from last season and the coaching staff grew tired of not getting the same output that the rest of his teammates were contributing.

On one occasion, Suli arrived at training after being picked up by a teammate for a 7am session, only to enter the club’s Concord headquarters at 10am having slept for three hours in the car.

Some wanted him gone before Christmas. Others wanted the club to persevere with him in the hope they could find the trigger that would ignite his career.

However, it never came.

The Bulldogs have been aware of the Tigers’ frustration for some time. Their recruitment manager Warren McDonnell, when he was at the Wests Tigers, discovered Suli.

He’s a big reason why Suli chose to join the Bulldogs in a revamped backline headlined by the shift of Moses Mbye to fullback.

The Dogs are hopeful a change of scenery will bring out the best in him.

They know they have signed a player capable of special things, and they will hope he can fulfil his enormous potential.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Graham said:

He has put on almost 15 kilograms from last season and the coaching staff grew tired of not getting the same output that the rest of his teammates were contributing.

WTF!!! I don't know anything about the situation but that alone would be enough for me. Hit the road, loser.

If that account is true then I don't know why we persisted so long. Some talk on the Tigers forum about how the dressing room was split over the decision!!!! A 19-year-old with no other known work skills isn't sufficiently motivated by his $430K/year contract? GTFO and take your supporters in the dressing room with you. We've been through this before and I'd rather see us come last with a team of local High School kids who really want to be there and put in the effort to stay there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Moses Suli's view:

Moses Suli has revealed his shock decision to ask for a release from the Wests Tigers to sign a three-year deal with the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs was because "it's what's best for my footy career".

The Tigers on Wednesday granted the winger a release, effective immediately, and released a statement which basically questioned his commitment to the club.

Suli hit back at any claims he had not been professional with his work ethic and told NRL.com he was aiming to reach his potential at Belmore.

“It was a big call for me, but I thought it was the best for myself and the club. It was really tough for me and I didn’t think it would come to this, but I guess it’s what’s best for my footy career," he said.

“The ankle is going really well. I had surgery, but I have recovered well. I have been given the all-clear and I’m ready to get back on the field."

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎31‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 5:09 AM, Graham said:

Wigan's John Bateman has always been very honest and open, when questioned where he sees himself in the future, the England International is hoping that his efforts down under attracted the attention of Australian scouts.

Bateman's contract expires at the end of 2018, and the 24 year-old is putting himself in the shop window for NRL clubs, however stating that he enjoys his time at Wigan but he believes the call of the NRL would be too big to turn down.

I personally hope Bateman stays at Wigan & captains the club into another era of dominance, This whole thing of SL being some type of feeder comp to the NRL needs to stop it's no good at all for the game in England to be constantly loosing it's best players.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Graham said:

Another Englishman keen to play in the NRL

Alex Walmsley is supposedly on the verge of signing a deal with a Sydney based club.

Standing 196cm and weighing 115 kilos, the prop is contracted to St Helens this year but ready to move to the NRL in 2019.

St George?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sydney Roosters are on high alert with fears the highly contagious mumps virus will rip through the club after a player and a member of the coaching staff were quarantined from the rest of the playing group.

Mitchell Aubusson has contracted the viral disease and has been segregated from his teammates. It is also understood that a member of the coaching staff has also showed signs of the virus and has also been told to keep away.

So far the Roosters have been able to limit the spread of the virus to just that pair after initial fears the wider playing group could be impacted, amid suggestions there has been a breakout of the mumps in the Eastern Suburbs.

A Sydney Roosters spokeswoman confirmed that people at the club had been treated for mumps.

“Those affected were immediately isolated and have received the necessary course of treatment,” the spokeswoman said.

Mitchell Aubusson has contracted the mumps. In a bid to halt any potential outbreak, the Roosters headquarters has been almost forensically cleaned in recent days. From water bottles, to gym equipment, food preparation areas and even staff desks have been sanitised.

“It is something we have taken extremely seriously with extra precautions taken throughout the facility,” the spokeswoman said.

It is unclear how Aubusson contracted the virus, although it can be spread through the air, by someone sneezing or sharing water bottles. Each Roosters player has their own water bottle.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Outgoing Dragons boss Peter Doust’s final gift to St George Illawarra will be finalising the club’s new ownership structure with WIN Corporation.

The Daily Telegraph broke the news on Thursday afternoon of Doust’s decision to sensationally quit the club after almost two decades at the helm.

He will see out the remainder of his contract, staying on until the end of St George Illawarra’s season.

While Doust is expected to take a back seat to some of the long-term decisions regarding the club, his main task will be finalising the deal with WIN — who intend to purchase Illawarra’s share of the joint venture. The company’s multimillion-dollar owner Bruce Gordon is in Sydney with Doust now free to focus on fast-tracking the deal to sell-off the Steelers’ remaining share.

Doust has been in charge of the Dragons since 2000.

Doust called representatives from WIN to inform them of his decision. His stepping down could force a raft of changes within the Dragons organisation.

He is expected to retain a place on the respective Dragons, St George Leagues and Football club boards, at least in the short-term.

But his decision to move on could see a shake-up of the Dragons management structure.

The first major sign of a generational change at the club happened last year when Warren Lockwood stood down as chairman after 16 years and was replaced by Brian Johnston.

Doust and Johnston have been the only chief executives since the joint venture came into being in late 1998. Doust replaced the former Dragons and Kangaroos player in 2000.

The longest serving boss in the game said he had come to the decision during the Christmas break.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Graham said:

Sydney Roosters are on high alert with fears the highly contagious mumps virus will rip through the club after a player and a member of the coaching staff were quarantined from the rest of the playing group.

Mitchell Aubusson has contracted the viral disease and has been segregated from his teammates. It is also understood that a member of the coaching staff has also showed signs of the virus and has also been told to keep away.

So far the Roosters have been able to limit the spread of the virus to just that pair after initial fears the wider playing group could be impacted, amid suggestions there has been a breakout of the mumps in the Eastern Suburbs.

A Sydney Roosters spokeswoman confirmed that people at the club had been treated for mumps.

“Those affected were immediately isolated and have received the necessary course of treatment,” the spokeswoman said.

Mitchell Aubusson has contracted the mumps. In a bid to halt any potential outbreak, the Roosters headquarters has been almost forensically cleaned in recent days. From water bottles, to gym equipment, food preparation areas and even staff desks have been sanitised.

“It is something we have taken extremely seriously with extra precautions taken throughout the facility,” the spokeswoman said.

It is unclear how Aubusson contracted the virus, although it can be spread through the air, by someone sneezing or sharing water bottles. Each Roosters player has their own water bottle.

Great news, Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch f#*$ W%^ts

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else hearing the rumour of the Robbie Farrah Joe Burgess swap? I'd be doing back flips of joy if its true but surely Wigan are to smart to agree to that?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh and reports are Cody Walker has re-signed with the Rabbitohs for another 2 seasons.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Graham changed the title to Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, Injuries ...
  • Graham changed the title to Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, Injuries ...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...