Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, Injuries ...

On 23/05/2019 at 20:19, Futtocks said:

Things are lot more up in the air this year. While I always enjoy Origin, 2019 looks like it might be more intriguing than usual. Who's going to be the new rising star of the series?

I'll have a go at that one when I see the sides.

I think the squads may already have been announced?

• Graham changed the title to Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, NRL news etc...Casualty Ward;

Brisbane recruit James Segeyaro has landed himself in trouble after being caught drink driving. 

The hooker, who signed for the Broncos earlier this month, was caught on his way to buy a morning coffee.

Segeyaro was on his P-plates and as a consequence should have had a zero reading.

“The Brisbane Broncos can confirm that James Segeyaro has been issued with a notice to appear for driving under the influence of alcohol,” the Broncos said in a statement.

“Segeyaro recorded a breath test reading well under 0.05 in Brisbane this morning, but due to the fact he is on a Provisional Licence he has been issued with a notice to appear. The NRL Integrity Unit has been informed and the club is working through the issue in conjunction with them.”

Wests Tigers have announced the signature of Michael Chee Kam to a contract extension.

The 27-year-old has put pen to paper on a new deal, that will see him remain a Tiger until at least the end of the 2021 season.

Chee Kam has played 58 games for the Tigers, and has become one of Michael Maguire’s most consistent players.

“I couldn’t see myself playing anywhere other than Wests Tigers,” 

“I didn’t want to go anywhere else and this is home for me now.

Edited by Graham

On the Seggy Front:

Brisbane has confirmed hooker James Segeyaro has been handed a one-match suspension for drink driving, with the 28-year-old also agreeing to complete a traffic offender program and 40 hours of community service.

Segeyaro recorded a breath test reading of 0.027 on Monday, but was issued with a notice to appear for driving under the influence of alcohol because he is on a Provisional Licence, that requires a zero reading.

The Broncos confirmed the punishments on Thursday, and said the NRL Integrity Unit ticked off on their decision.

After falling in the Storm’s Round 10 match against the Tigers, people feared the worst, but Christian Welch was cleared of any serious knee injury, and is now close to making his recovery.

The initial timeline was 12 months for Welch but luckily he only required minor surgery on his meniscus which should only require four to six weeks on the sideline.

But the news kept getting better for Welch as his recovery is ahead of schedule and he’s hoping he can convince doctors he’s ready for the Storm’s next match against the Warriors on June 8th.

“There is no real structural damage, they have just gone in and taken out the meniscus, so it’s just how the knee settles now,” he told nrl.com.

“If everything falls into place then hopefully next weekend, if not, maybe the weekend after.”

• Graham changed the title to Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, NRL news etc...Seggy Update; Welch Return; Finals Format; CheeCam signs

The Tigers have confirmed forward Thomas Mikaele has signed a playing contract with the club, that will see him remain a Tiger until at least the end of the 2021 season.

The 21-year-old made his debut for the Tigers earlier this season, and has played 10 games for the club since.

“I’ve really enjoyed my time at the club since moving here,” Mikaele told the club’s website.

“Madge has been a really big part of that this year.

Gold Coast prop Jai Arrow will uphold the label as one of the league’s toughest by playing through an 8mm quad tear for Queensland in Wednesdays Origin I clash.

Arrow is set to carry the grade-one tear into the series opener, with Titans medical staff revealing he will still be against the clock in battling fitness following scans.

It comes as no surprise that Arrow remains confident he will take the field for the Maroons, having carried broken ribs into a match last year against the Warriors.

Raiders forward Hudson Young has received a five-match ban after being charged by the NRL match review committee over an incident in Saturday night's win over Canterbury at ANZ Stadium.

Young was charged with grade-three dangerous contact - head/neck (eye contact) from an incident involving Bulldogs prop Aiden Tolman in the 34th minute of Canberra's 12-10 win.

He has received a five-game ban after accepting an early guilty plea, and would have risked a seven-match suspension if he unsuccessfully challenged the charge at the judiciary.

According to Surgess Young has given his face some attention when Sam was tackled by him.

It’s not only nasty and cheap, but dangerous.

Hope this ban helps him to reconsider his actions.

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Yes I was watching it again a few times today , it was a cheap grub act 

When it happened David the coverage didn’t show it. When Tolman stayed down and reacted I was mystified. They replayed the tackle and you couldn’t see anything. At half time though they showed the tackle from another angle which showed his grub act clearly. 

Surgess called his action silly. That doesn’t reflect what Young did accurately.

The nasty sod went for the face while the tackled player was still held by one or two other tacklers.

I suppose a five match suspension is a pretty strong message to him. 

If he does it again he should be given the elbow... if you know what I mean...

Back-rower Joe Stimson will depart Melbourne Storm at the end of the current NRL season to take up a new opportunity in the National Rugby League.

A former captain of Storm’s under-20s team, Joe was added to the club’s NRL fulltime squad in 2016 and has played 40 NRL games after making his debut in round two of the 2017 season.

Where’s he going for 2020 I hear you ask?

Bulldogs

Edited by Graham

21 hours ago, Graham said:

When it happened David the coverage didn’t show it. When Tolman stayed down and reacted I was mystified. They replayed the tackle and you couldn’t see anything. At half time though they showed the tackle from another angle which showed his grub act clearly. 

Surgess called his action silly. That doesn’t reflect what Young did accurately.

The nasty sod went for the face while the tackled player was still held by one or two other tacklers.

And yet Josh McGuire only got a fine for a similar offence earlier in the season.

22 hours ago, Graham said:

Yeah, I saw it the same way, I know compared to the past it's trivial but I dislike the use of the elbow into the face of a prone tackeld player the you see regularly, just grub tactics and needs stamping out, a couple of punches thrown instead of this ridiculous slapping and pushing would be better too?

Injury news:

Newcastle’s David Klemmer is expected to miss the next four to six weeks after fracturing his wrist in the Blues’ loss to Queensland on Wednesday night.

Gold Coast’s Michael Gordon is set for a stint on the sidelines due to a blood clot in his leg.

Boyd Cordner is the latest name to be added to Sydney’s growing injury list, after the New South Wales captain suffered an ankle injury during Wednesday nights Origin I clash.

Blues centre Latrell Mitchell has frustrated Roosters officials after failing to return to Sydney with Origin teammates on Thursday, as reported by Channel Nine’s Wide World of Sports.

Mitchell decided to drive to his home town of Taree with relatives and is expected to miss Sunday’s clash against Penrith.

All of the above is from Zero tackle

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

• Graham changed the title to Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, NRL news etc... DWZ Moved;

Dallin Watene-Zelezniak has signed a three-year deal with the Canterbury Bulldogs.

The Bulldogs have beaten out a host of rival clubs to acquire the Kiwi international, including Wests Tigers, Parramatta and North Queensland.

It comes after reports that he penned a contract with the Tigers, however, the club was reportedly unable to move on a high-profile play to accommodate for Watene-Zelezniak.

The 23-year old could line-up at fullback for Dean Pay’s side in next Sunday’s clash against the Sydney Roosters.

“The acquisition of Dallin is fantastic news for the club and the vision we have going forward,” Bulldogs chief executive Andrew Hill told the club website.

Gold Coast’s Tyrone Peachey will look to depart the club prior to the June 30 deadline in a bid to return to the Panthers.

According to a report by NRL.com, Peachey and his manager Sam Ayoub met with the Titans during the week to seek an early release on compassionate grounds.

It comes just six months into a three-year deal signed last year, with Peachey’s family understood to be struggling to adapt to life on the Gold Coast.

• Graham changed the title to Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, NRL news etc... DWZ Moved; Peachey Wants Away;

North Queensland star Josh McGuire appears likely to pay the biggest fine since monetary penalties were introduced in the NRL after another contrary conduct charge.

McGuire was on Sunday slugged with a maximum $4,500 fine for his facial on Manly centre Dylan Walker on Saturday night.

Even if he takes the reduced $3,400 punishment with an early guilty plea, it will be one of the heaviest fines since NRL judiciary codes were reformed in 2017.

• Graham changed the title to Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, NRL news etc... DWZ Moved; Peachey Wants Away; McGuire Fine;

Aussie abroad news...

Toronto Wolfpack prop Darcy Lussick has been refused entry to the United Kingdom by the UK Border Agency following a trip to mainland Europe.

Australia-born Lussick, 29, was returning to the Wolfpack's British training base in between games.

Majority owner David Argyle said the Championship leaders were "frustrated" by the decision.

He added they had "followed protocol in place between our governing body (RFL) and the Home Office".

Lussick, whose brother Joey plays for Salford, will join up with the Wolfpack in Canada for their next home game against Dewsbury on 15 June.

"Managing immigration and work permits are just part of our journey," Argyle continued.

"All protocols will be thoroughly reviewed, and we will ensure that the UK Border Control remain informed of any changes.

"The welfare of our players and coaches is always our top priority and we are going to continue working to make sure that the immigration process becomes easier moving forwards."

Toronto are six points clear of second-placed Toulouse as they bid for a place in Super League for the first time.

• Graham changed the title to Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, NRL news etc... Josh Hoffman injury

Parramatta prop Tim Mannah has confirmed he will remain with the Eels for the remainder of the 2019 season.

In a statement on the club’s website, Mannah confirmed the news despite reports he had signed a deal with the Wests Tigers to play out the year.

“I am very happy to be staying at the Eels,” Mannah said in the statement.

“I am a Parramatta Eels junior and I love our club.

The playing future of Dylan Walker is up in the air after reports that police are seeking to appeal against the Manly centre’s acquittal on domestic violence charges.

Police prosecutors have handed their files to the DPP to examine areas of appeal against the decision last month by a magistrate to find Walker not guilty of attacking his fiancee Alexandra Ivkovic.

A police spokesman said: “NSW Police can confirm prosecutors have requested the Director of Public Prosecutions consider an appeal of a not-guilty verdict of a 24-year-old man for common assault (DV) and assault occasioning actual bodily harm (DV).”

If the DPP thinks the police case has merit, an appeal will be launched in the District Court. The matter is reportedly still being considered.