Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, Injuries ...

22 hours ago, Graham said:

Injury prone Josh Dugan is in the news again with rumours in the media about him not putting effort into pre-season training.

Josh Dugan has denied a report claiming his teammates have lost faith in him for an unimpressive pre-season, which has put his NRL future at the Sharks in doubt.

The Sharks will hold a meeting with Dugan’s agent Paul Sutton in the next 24 hours to discuss how to resolve issues with the former Australia star, including unconfirmed reports of a knee injury.

Fox Sports are reporting Dugan had missed training sessions over the pre-season and claimed his effort had been less than impressive, concerning coaches and teammates.

Sounds ideal for Catalans then

South Sydney Rabbitohs enforcer Liam Knight has signed on for another three seasons with the club.

The new deal will tie the 25-year old to the Redfern until the end of 2023, having been rewarded after a breakout 2019 campaign.

Knight was thrilled to call the Souths his home for another three years.

“I absolutely love this club, the playing group and the coaching staff. It was impossible for me to leave,” Knight told rabbitohs.com.au.

• Graham changed the title to Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, NRL news ...Liam Knight signs;

Captain's Challenge

The ‘captain’s challenge’ as proposed by the NRL will be tried out in the All Stars and Charity Shield marquee pre-season fixtures after being temporarily approved by the ARL Commission, as reported by NRL Media. 

With the new rule change set to be trialled, teams will now have the opportunity to challenge with the NRL video bunker on dispute rulings.

The intended result of this rule is to take the pressure off the referees and remove errors in the game.

A set time for the challenges has yet to be decided, but the impression is a period of 10 or 15 seconds will be the time that is trialled.

With the new rule being presented to ARL chairman Peter V’landys and his board on Thursday, the captain’s challenge will be put forward and further discussed with the clubs, the RLPA and broadcasters before ultimately a decision will be made on whether to bring the rule into the 2020 NRL season.

All eyes will be on the trialled captains challenge rule during the All-Stars game on Friday February 22nd, and will again be on show the following week in the Rabbitohs-Dragons Charity Shield fixture in Mudgee.

Under the new rule, once play has stopped whether that be at a scrum, penalty, handover of possession 20m restart or a goal line drop out, captains will have the opportunity to call for the bunkers intervention, with only the one incorrect challenge allowed each game.

https://www.zerotackle.com/captains-challenge-trial-set-52084/

• Graham changed the title to Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, NRL news ...Liam Knight signs; Captain's Challenge

There’s way too much use of the VR in the NRL , it’s completely ridiculous what officials are checking . They’re totally spooked by making any mistake , so they think the way to minimise that is to make fewer big decisions . The captains challenge is just another layer and even more VR when we need less . Just have two challenges if you wanna go that way  , scrap the rest , and make the officials grow a pair and make calls ...  there’s a cast of Ben Hur officiating games - add in goal touchies if you want - they should be calling things . They see things but won’t go with what they see . We need way less use of the bunker , basically officials now are just slaves to it 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

Hey David I have some fun memories of seeing heavyweight refs of the past with no video of course to consult. When they eventually got to the spot they confidently did or didn't give the try... rightly or wrongly. Sometimes there were grumbles, but we moved on. I expect it balanced out in the end.

Eric Clay is one who comes to mind.

He got this one right. It's Don Fox playing and scoring for Featherstone with Eric surprisingly close to the touchdown.

Image result for eric Clay referee

Edited by Graham

3 minutes ago, Graham said:

Hey David I have some fun memories of seeing heavyweight refs of the past with no video of course to consult. When they eventually got to the spot they confidently did or didn't give the try... rightly or wrongly. Sometimes there were grumbles, but we moved on. I expect it balanced out in the end.

Eric Clay is one who comes to mind.

He got this one right. It's Don Fox playing and scoring for Featherston with Eric surprisingly close to the touchdown.

Image result for eric Clay referee

Thing is it becomes a habit . 8 times of 10 they know but they check anyway . A touchie is one inch away and won’t make a call . I mean really , where do you go from ‘ check the grounding I’m looking right at ‘ or ‘ check for an obstruction I didn’t see and wasn’t there ‘ . It just destroys the moment . Look at footy now . Refs don’t officiate the game anymore , they just manage it and make all the little picky calls .Tries and foul play , the big calls ... what’s the first thing they do ? Put their finger in their ear and wait for someone to tell them what to do . I’d gladly get shot of it . How can you see a finger in the ruck dislodging the ball but not a try right in front of you . I mean please , they use it coz it’s there . Wait n see the nines , they’ll make calls , get them right and it’ll be far better and flowing 

Officials have become timid because, with modern replay tech, click-bait journalism headline-chasing and social media emotional incontinence, they probably don't fancy having dog turds posted through their letter boxes and their kids being bullied at school. Or maybe even worse.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

19 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Officials have become timid because, with modern replay tech, click-bait journalism headline-chasing and social media emotional incontinence, they probably don't fancy having dog turds posted through their letter boxes and their kids being bullied at school. Or maybe even worse.

Officials get that from retards with all kinds of decisions they don’t like , as we’ve seen in footy . It’s not in a specific relation to video referrals . All kinds of games in all kinds of sport see officials making calls and the great or not so great public reacting to them . Ask Michael Oliver .I think you’re being a bit disingenuous in that example . Also it’s a myth the VR has ended controversy , some of the biggest in the NRL have been bunker calls . I don’t think there’s any doubt officials use tech as a comfort blanket , and it shackles them by being there . Their bosses KPI’s , pressure and directives are a big part of it to , as Cecchin said . Counterintuitive it may be but let them officiate and they seem to do it far better . I feel the VR is a burden on officials back so they lean  on it . In terms of reaction to decisions ... that’ll never change either way unfortunately 

Edited by DavidM

19 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Officials get that from retards with all kinds of decisions they don’t like , as we’ve seen in footy . It’s not in a specific relation to video referrals . All kinds of games in all kinds of sport see officials making calls and the great or not so great public reacting to them . Ask Michael Oliver .I think you’re being a bit disingenuous in that example . Also it’s a myth the VR has ended controversy , some of the biggest in the NRL have been bunker calls . I don’t think there’s any doubt officials use tech as a comfort blanket , and it shackles them by being there . Their bosses KPI’s , pressure and directives are a big part of it to , as Cecchin said . Counterintuitive it may be but let them officiate and they seem to do it far better . I feel the VR is a burden on officials back so they lean  on it . In terms of reaction to decisions ... that’ll never change either way unfortunately 

Even when it is proven beyond doubt, with HD super-slow-motion replays from multiple angles, there are some who will disagree and let that (entirely correct) decision fester for ages.

Why? Because they have a desperate need to be right at all costs, especially when they're wrong. Far easier to play the victim than admit even the most microscopic fault in their omniscience. It is a sign of the growing infantilism of the online world. See the politics sub-forum (or any national newspaper, or current politics) for more details.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Even when it is proven beyond doubt, with HD super-slow-motion replays from multiple angles, there are some who will disagree and let that (entirely correct) decision fester for ages.

Why? Because they have a desperate need to be right at all costs, especially when they're wrong. Far easier to play the victim than admit even the most microscopic fault in their omniscience. It is a sign of the growing infantilism of the online world. See the politics sub-forum (or any national newspaper, or current politics) for more details.

Indeed . Outside of here ( if this counts ) I have nothing to do with social media , I think that has exacerbated and amplified all these traits 

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Indeed . Outside of here ( if this counts ) I have nothing to do with social media , I think that has exacerbated and amplified all these traits 

Twitter can be a lot of fun, if you don't go hunting for the poison, and never ever get sucked in when the nastiness intrudes. There are a lot of great, funny and inspiring people out there.

Plus the RL updates are pretty much instant (club-dependent, of course) and the news is plentiful.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Twitter can be a lot of fun, if you don't go hunting for the poison, and never ever get sucked in when the nastiness intrudes. There are a lot of great, funny and inspiring people out there.

Plus the RL updates are pretty much instant (club-dependent, of course) and the news is plentiful.

Aye , like the society it reflects , there’s good and bad and all manner of characteristics in between I guess . I’ve never got into it other than passing through but as you say , keep your perameters and use it for what you want I assume is the key 

14 minutes ago, Graham said:

Well now, Josh Morris wants out of Cronulla.

From reports I’ve read he wants an immediate release so that he can move to Roosters where he would be joining his brother. 

Apparently Sharks are resistant to his wishes...

They should let him go or they will lose xerri to the roosters 

2 hours ago, Graham said:

Josh has had his request “resisted”.
He’s not happy to be shoved out on the wing.

Jesse Ramien and Bronson Xerri get first pick in the centres where he would prefer to be, so he feels a bit miffed.

I can understand that at the stage of his career . He’s a centre and no doubt to him a first choice centre 

Edited by DavidM

1 hour ago, aj1908 said:

What about that south's junior what a beast. 1 milloon over 3 seasons for a 16 yr old 

To flesh that out...

South Sydney are reportedly set to put forward a lucrative offer to 16-year-old rugby league sensation Joseph Suaalii, even though he won't be able to play in the NRL until 2022.

According to Fox Sports, the Rabbitohs want to seal a "three-year, million-dollar plus" contract with Suaalii on August 1, his 17th birthday, in what is expected to be the richest deal in Aussie sport for a player of his age.

NRL rules dictate however, that Suaalii will not be able to make his debut in the NRL until he is 18 years old.

1 hour ago, Graham said:

Josh Morris is set to start the season at fullback for Cronulla after the Sharks officially rejected his request for an immediate release so he can join brother Brett at the Sydney Roosters.

Strange move, he’s not a full back. It would be better having Xerri there or move Xerri to the wing to accommodate Morris in the centre but clearly they’re doing everything possible to keep Xerri happy so he stays

7 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Strange move, he’s not a full back. It would be better having Xerri there or move Xerri to the wing to accommodate Morris in the centre but clearly they’re doing everything possible to keep Xerri happy so he stays

So to be fair Josh deserves better from the club. He realises that they have prioritised other players’ preference and happiness to his. No wonder he wants away to somewhere he’d feel more valued.