Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, Injuries ...

Newcastle Knights have signed former Canberra Raiders coach David Furner as an assistant to Adam O’Brien for the next three seasons.

Furner was an assistant to ex-Kangaroos coach Tim Sheens, 

The Knights confirmed the worst kept secret in the game when Roosters assistant coach O’Brien was announced as Newcastle’s new coach for next season last month.

O’Brien’s appointment came after a messy end for previous coach Nathan Brown, who had spent four years attempting to rebuild the Knights roster.

Wests Tigers have tonight inducted three new Life Members of the club — former players Chris Heighington and Beau Ryan as well as long-time sponsor and partner Peter Binet.

In total, Wests Tigers have now inducted 16 Life Members, with the three joining several other former players and notable contributors in the list.

Heighington's induction as a Life Member of Wests Tigers comes after 16 years in first-grade, with the forward amassing more than 200 games for the club and becoming the first player in club history to reach the milestone.

1 hour ago, Graham said:

Most of them are still going. Cumberland and Newcastle only dropped out because they had enough interest locally to form their own district leagues. Glebe still plays as Glebe-Burwood in the Ron Massey or Sydney Shield. University is in the Sydney Shield, I think. Annandale is dead. Western Reds still operate at junior levels. Crushers, Adelaide and Mariners are dead but the SARL is probably bigger now than it was during the Rams period.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Graham said:

Wests Tigers have tonight inducted three new Life Members of the club — former players Chris Heighington and Beau Ryan as well as long-time sponsor and partner Peter Binet.

In total, Wests Tigers have now inducted 16 Life Members, with the three joining several other former players and notable contributors in the list.

Heighington's induction as a Life Member of Wests Tigers comes after 16 years in first-grade, with the forward amassing more than 200 games for the club and becoming the first player in club history to reach the milestone.

The full list with the three new members:

WESTS TIGERS LIFE MEMBERS

2013 — Benji Marshall, Robbie Farah

2014 — John Skandalis, Mark O'Neill

2015 — Brett Hodgson, Tim Sheens

2016 — Chris Lawrence, Dene Halatau

2017 — Liam Fulton, Ben Galea, Harry Triguboff

2018 — Bryce Gibbs, Keith Galloway

2019 — Chris Heighington, Beau Ryan, Peter Binet

Souths

Latest life members:

Five Members were awarded Life Membership at today’s (Sunday) Annual General Meeting of the South Sydney Members Rugby League Football Club (Member Co.) at Redfern Town Hall.

Jason Clark, Raymond Furse, Mervyn Neave, Stanley Browne and Bernard O’Neil were all nominated and approved as Life Members for the significant roles they have played in South Sydney’s history.

• Graham changed the title to Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, NRL news etc...David Furner; Life members;

Canberra Raiders duo Elliott Whitehead and Ryan Sutton are set to sign contract extensions that will see them remain at the club until the end of the 2022 season.

The pair were originally signed on until the end of 2020 but have added a further two years to their deals.

Whitehead said he never considered the nation’s capital.

“I’ve absolutely loved my time at the Raiders so far, so to extend for another two seasons is fantastic and I know we’re on the right path to achieving success,” Whitehead told the club website.

• Graham changed the title to Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, NRL news etc...David Furner; Life members; Elliott Whithead, John Sutton re-signed
29 minutes ago, Graham said:

Canberra Raiders duo Elliott Whitehead and Ryan Sutton are set to sign contract extensions that will see them remain at the club until the end of the 2022 season.

The pair were originally signed on until the end of 2020 but have added a further two years to their deals.

Whitehead said he never considered the nation’s capital.

“I’ve absolutely loved my time at the Raiders so far, so to extend for another two seasons is fantastic and I know we’re on the right path to achieving success,” Whitehead told the club website.

Probably "never considered leaving the nation's capital."

Here's an odd piece of trivia: In the last 4 rounds of their debut year, 2000, Wests Tigers scored 26 points four weeks in a row and lost all four. We also scored 24pts three times for 1 win, 1 loss and 1 draw.

•  

Number 24 is pronounced twenty four. 

Frequently used by Wests Tigers

Properties of the number 24

Factorization   2 * 2 * 2 * 3
Divisors 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 12, 24
Count of divisors 8
Sum of divisors 60
Previous integer 23
Next integer 25
Is prime? NO
Previous prime 23
Next prime 29
24th prime 89
Is a Fibonacci number? NO
Is a Bell number? NO
Is a Catalan number? NO
Is a factorial? YES 4!
Is a regular number? YES
Is a perfect number? NO
Polygonal number (s < 11)? nonagonal(3)
Binary 11000
Octal 30
Duodecimal 20
Hexadecimal 18
Square 576
Square root 4.8989794855664
Natural logarithm 3.1780538303479
Decimal logarithm 1.3802112417116
Sine -0.90557836200662
Cosine

I think because of the Run to the Finals thread, I'm noticing the numbers 26 and 24 everywhere.

Another odd titbit about the 2000 season: in Round 10 there were two 18-18 draws.

Another one: St George did a 7-day 100-point turnaround. They were beaten 50-4 by the Cows then the following week they eat Auckland 54 - 0

20 hours ago, Graham said:

I read today about Ryan Matterson being unsettled at Tigers. The report said he and Maguire were not on the best of terms, despite Ryan having had a great season.

Maybe not:

Ryan Matterson’s rift with the Wests Tigers is not believed to be over a fallout with coach Michael Maguire — instead it’s reportedly a pay dispute with the club about what his fellow teammates are being paid.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/teams/tigers/nrl-2019-ryan-matterson-wests-tigers-contract-coach-michael-maguire/news-story/77f067eca778e0f6456e47126393d567

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

I’m not up to scratch on this but four teams and over in no time ? That seems very unsatisfactory 

The Womens schedule is very different. They start with a 17-round Sydney + Newcastle 11-team comp. There is also a National Championship with SE Qld, Qld Country, NSA City and NSW Country, Affiliated States and Armed Forces. There is also a SOO and a Qld v NSW Residents.

The NRLW starting with the NRL Finals guarantees TV coverage because Fox Sports has all those slots to fill in. There are 50 new players registered in the four NRL teams this year so possibly next year they will expand to 6 or more. It will be interesting this week when the NZ Warriors play a stand-alone game in Auckland as most games have been double-bills with the NRL finals.

In the Sydney Women's this year, Wests, Souths, Cronulla and the Doggies fielded official teams. Penrith had 2 feeder teams - St Mary's and Brothers. The other teams were Cabramatta, Mounties, Country RL based in Newcastle, North Sydney and Wentworthville which was probably an actual Wenty team rather than a Parra-affiliate.

The standard is very good but I don't think they have enough players at that level yet to make a full mirror of the NRL

• Thanks 2

• Graham changed the title to Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, NRL news etc...

Not a fan of Sam Burgess but do think he is right to blast the NRL Judiciary System. Its a lottery and has got worse this year. Sam sails close to the edge like JWH and both deserve to miss games for acting like grub. But there is no consistancy or understanding in how decisions are made. And its frustrating!

I think Todd Greenburg has no idea on running the game and threatening Sam, for speaking his opinion, is another sign of this. And then to threaten a lawsuit is a joke. Greenburg ignored things and get upset when people question things. He need to come and Speak to fans,players etc and Unterstand why many are not happy. Sadly Greenburg has his head in the Sand and refuse to see the Problems in the game.

Looks like Jim Dymock has signed up as assistant coach to Juston Holbrook at the Gold Coast Titans for ext season.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Manly Sea Eagles half-back Kane Elgey has announced his retirement from rugby league at the age of just 25.

Elgey made his NRL debut back in 2015 for Gold Coast Titans, playing 46 games for the club before joining Manly earlier this year.

The playmaker played 11 games for the Sea Eagles in 2019 and still had a year to run on his contract – but has admitted that he has fallen out of love with the game.

He posted on Instagram: “After months of consideration, I have decided to officially retire from the NRL and move back home with my beautiful girl Georgie Oram and start the next chapter of our lives.

“It’s been a rollercoaster ride and I’m stoked with what I’ve achieved in a short time.

“I just know deep down that I don’t love it like I used to and when you that, it is very hard to keep doing it at a high level.

“Thanks to everyone that I have met on the ride and who has supported me.”