9 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Widnes Vikings
    • Draw
    • St Helens

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Widnes always tough to beat on their plastic pitch.

I think a lot will depend on what team Saints can field. Definately missing are Lomax, Percival, Walsh, Amor & Flanagan. Thompson has to pass the 'head test' later this week and Roby is struggling with injury too and may not be risked.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Widnes always tough to beat on their plastic pitch.

I think a lot will depend on what team Saints can field. Definately missing are Lomax, Percival, Walsh, Amor & Flanagan. Thompson has to pass the 'head test' later this week and Roby is struggling with injury too and may not be risked.

Maybe, but look what they achieved at the end of last season with so many influential players missing.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saints Squad announced:

2. Tommy Makinson, 3. Jordan Turner, 4. Josh Jones, 5. Adam Swift, 6. Travis Burns, 8. Mose Masoe, 9. James Roby, 11. Atelea Vea, 12. Jon Wilkin, 13. Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, 14. Alex Walmsley, 16. Lance Hohaia, 18. Luke Thompson, 19. Greg Richards, 20. Paul Wellens, 21. Joe Greenwood, 22. Matty Dawson, 24. Jordan Hand, 25. Andre Savelio

With Roby & Thompson named and assumed fit to play I'd imagine the team would be:

Wellens
Makinson
Turner
Jones
Swift
Burns
Wilkin
Wamsley
Roby
Richards
Vea
Greenwood
LMS

Hohaia
Thompson
Masoe
Savelio

There's a strong enough pack there to be able to dominate the Widnes forwards.

I'd be surprised if Roby was fit,  he was carrying that arm last week.

I think it's a case of play him as we have not got even a reserve hooker.

Surely Hohaia is one of the best back up hookers in the competition? I'm not sure Cunningham sees it that way though. It would be an idea to interchange them regularly to stop Roby from burning out.

I have confidence in those selected but we look beatable and Widnes are impressive. I'll go for a narrow Saints win out of optimism as much as anything else, but I don't think anyone will be surprised if Widnes take the two points off us again.

I see from the Widnes squad there's no Brown, Cahill or Manukafoa. Without those 3 they have lost their best meter making forwards and their main organiser.

It certainly evens things up a lot and I can see the Saints pack dominating down the middle

No Lloyd White or Cameron Phelps for Widnes either. Surprised so many people going for a Widnes win. 1/33 (odds on) for a Saints win on a well-known betting site currently.

Surely Hohaia is one of the best back up hookers in the competition? I'm not sure Cunningham sees it that way though. It would be an idea to interchange them regularly to stop Roby from burning out.

last week hohaia finished the game at hooker wellens can also play hooker

Archived