ID Cards - do you have one and is it widely accepted everywhere?

Okay, so my passport's out of date, my driving licence is the old paper one, and I need to renew my driving licence pronto as it's got my old address on it.

Sticking point is I need a valid photo ID to renew my driving licence so it's a bit chicken and egg.

Is there summat obvious I can do that I haven't thought of?

Failing that, can anyone recommend which ID card to apply for that will only take a few days?

Thanks.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Cheers Johnoco,

Having applied online to renew my driving licence from the old paper one to the new photocard one, it seems you automatically apply for a "Government Gateway ID" which they've now issued me in the form of a number.

They also offer to use your photo and signature from your passport, which I've asked them to do although the passport has run out, the signature is still the same and the photo just about looks like me. The fact that it's run out may be a sticking point but I'll have to wait and see.

They're sending me a form to fill in but after that it looks like it may not take long after all.

I'm in a similar boat - licence cancelled 10 years ago, passport expired 20 years ago. I just show my Pension Card and pretend to be senile. Always works.

I can't believe you could even get a paper licence in the last 20 years.

:huh:  Not sure you could, my paper licence was issued when I passed my test in 1981. 

18_Home_delivery_was_common_by_horse_and

:huh:  Not sure you could, my paper licence was issued when I passed my test in 1981. 

18_Home_delivery_was_common_by_horse_and

Impressive emergency stop, mate.

Was that down our street?

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Impressive emergency stop, mate.

Was that down our street?

You know darn well it was seeing as it had to be performed because you dived underneath trying to get the smelly stuff for your roses.

I'm in a similar boat - licence cancelled 10 years ago, passport expired 20 years ago. I just show my Pension Card and pretend to be senile. Always works.

I last moved house in 1996 and was issued a paper licence then, a quick google suggests that the first Photo ID licences were issued in 1998 with everyone expected to have one by 2001.

That worked then  :biggrin:

I only got rid of my paper licence when we moved house last year, reluctantly as I lost all the evidence of my motoring villainy, and there was a fair amount of it. Obviously I've learned my lesson now. ;)

Okay, so my passport's out of date, my driving licence is the old paper one, and I need to renew my driving licence pronto as it's got my old address on it.

Sticking point is I need a valid photo ID to renew my driving licence so it's a bit chicken and egg.

Is there summat obvious I can do that I haven't thought of?

Failing that, can anyone recommend which ID card to apply for that will only take a few days?

Thanks.

I renewed mine some 2 years ago via post with a photo signed by the ex councilor and vicar that lives next door. Took about 10 days to return. As long as you have informed the DVLA that your license needs an update of address and they know that new address then you are still licensed to drive even if the actual license is not yet updated. 

You know darn well it was seeing as it had to be performed because you dived underneath trying to get the smelly stuff for your roses.

'Never the rose without the #####' as they say.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

I renewed mine some 2 years ago via post with a photo signed by the ex councilor and vicar that lives next door. Took about 10 days to return. As long as you have informed the DVLA that your license needs an update of address and they know that new address then you are still licensed to drive even if the actual license is not yet updated. 

Cheers.

Perhaps I should have elucidated a tad more. The urgency was due to me having placed an order to hire a van for a 400 odd mile round trip in the next few days and the van hire company wouldn't accept my old licence as it didn't match up with the billing address. Thankfully I was able to cancel the booking and get a full refund and also put on hold the stuff I was going to pick up.

Ridiculous comment

The coalman's not due till Friday.

Is that the day they bring either the cash registers or glacial deposited sediment down your street?  :rtfm:

Is that the day they bring either the cash registers or glacial deposited sediment down your street?  :rtfm:

Hand in your Grammar Police badge.

"Correcting" a grammatically correct term calls for immediate suspension from the force.

I've already got a chip on my shoulder.

Archived